Henna vs Henna Gloss: Effect on Curls/Waves?

xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I'm interested in using henna to dye my hair red (it's currently a medium brown, so I'm aiming for it to be a nice auburn color). However, I'm afraid of losing my wavy curls (when they behave they're 2c). I was considering doing a gloss instead of a full treatment, thinking the curl loosening effect would be lessened. Am I correct in thinking that, or is the effect about the same either way?
2c low/medium porosity
CG since May 2018

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,747Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I'm not sure what a henna gloss is... but I'm guessing maybe it's henna with a bunch of other stuff in it? In which case I would not use it. I could be totally wrong. :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    I'm not sure what a henna gloss is... but I'm guessing maybe it's henna with a bunch of other stuff in it? In which case I would not use it. I could be totally wrong. :)
    A henna gloss is using pure henna, and mixing it with a conditioner before applying. I've read that people use it 1) to get a more subtle color and 2) to help combat dryness and help the henna rinse out more easily. Since the henna is diluted, I was thinking it would lessen the curl loosening effect as well, but I'm not sure.
    2c low/medium porosity
    CG since May 2018
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,747Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    OH!  Ok! Could you try the gloss first and see what impact it has and then if you're good with it, try the pure henna? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    OH!  Ok! Could you try the gloss first and see what impact it has and then if you're good with it, try the pure henna? 
    I'm thinking I might experiment that way, or who knows maybe I'll like the color from just doing the gloss and will be happy with that :smile: I'm also looking into amla, which is supposed to help bring back/maintain curl pattern if henna loosens it
    2c low/medium porosity
    CG since May 2018
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I thought henna gloss was a glossy oil or something lol! We learn sometime new everyday 😄
  • lynn3lynn3 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    henna gloss (assuming dye released) is lighter and usually temporary as far as color change. A full blown henna (I've done 2-4 hr hendigo) will leave your hair feeling thicker and will relax the curl a bit. Supposedly adding amla to the mix helps retain more curl, but I'm not totally convinced.

lynn3 said:
    henna gloss (assuming dye released) is lighter and usually temporary as far as color change. A full blown henna (I've done 2-4 hr hendigo) will leave your hair feeling thicker and will relax the curl a bit. Supposedly adding amla to the mix helps retain more curl, but I'm not totally convinced.

We have such smart curlies here!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • socurlssocurls Posts: 191Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

I often use henna and I love it ! 

I advise you to use yemen henna powder and radjastan henna which are more red .. and the most the most natural henna possible !

Be careful, some henna contain sodium picramate, it's salt derived from picramic acid. "The metal salts found in some henna so-called 'natural' can accentuate the color and help the henna to better attach to the hair, but they have a fairly similar effect to the components of chemical staining, which can irritate the scalp and damage the hair "

And if you ever do a chemical ( or not ) coloring on it after .. there will be a lot of damage ..

And also do not take henna that contains indigo, because first of all a lot of people are allergic to indigo (I'm part of it) and if you do another coloring also later or even discoloration/bleach .. You will have a good chance that your hair will turn green ! Ahah (I also had this slightly few months ago.. while for more than a year I had no more indigo in my henna.. ) 

I love henna for beautiful shiny hair, healthy ... etc

But you have to take it as natural as possible !

I just created an Instagram account on the evolution of my curly hair journey ! 
    It will be a pleasure to find you there  :)

https://www.instagram.com/socurls/

@socurls
    socurls said:

I often use henna and I love it ! 

I advise you to use yemen henna powder and radjastan henna which are more red .. and the most the most natural henna possible !

Be careful, some henna contain sodium picramate, it's salt derived from picramic acid. "The metal salts found in some henna so-called 'natural' can accentuate the color and help the henna to better attach to the hair, but they have a fairly similar effect to the components of chemical staining, which can irritate the scalp and damage the hair "

And if you ever do a chemical ( or not ) coloring on it after .. there will be a lot of damage ..

And also do not take henna that contains indigo, because first of all a lot of people are allergic to indigo (I'm part of it) and if you do another coloring also later or even discoloration/bleach .. You will have a good chance that your hair will turn green ! Ahah (I also had this slightly few months ago.. while for more than a year I had no more indigo in my henna.. ) 

I love henna for beautiful shiny hair, healthy ... etc

But you have to take it as natural as possible !

Thank you! I have some Rajasthani henna sitting waiting at home for me to get brave enough to use it, haha! 
    2c low/medium porosity
    CG since May 2018
  • socurlssocurls Posts: 191Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Give us news after applying henna! :smiley:

Oh and also the last tip, add some conditioning, yoghurt or a light oil into your henna.
    The henna tends to dry a little hair during the application..
    And no shampoo for 48 hours after application, to give time to henna to oxidize a little, the color takes at least 48 hours to be really perfect  :) 
    I just created an Instagram account on the evolution of my curly hair journey ! 
    It will be a pleasure to find you there  :)

https://www.instagram.com/socurls/

@socurls
  • CurlsAbroadCurlsAbroad Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I was just in Senegal, where women regularly do henna treatments to strengthen their hair. From what the women told me, the fact that the henna coats your strands strengthens it, but I could imagine this would have a drying effect on curlies who already have low-porosity. Women in Senegal typically have brittle type 4 hair, so maybe henna can help seal the outer layer of hair. Again, I have no knowledge on the actual chemical/microscopic effects of henna on the hair, but I learned that you can test the henna color by gathering shed hairs (for curlies, most likely from a wide-toothed comb or your fingers or the shower drain instead of from a brush) and apply the color. It obviously won't be exactly the same as the hair on your head. I applied it to shed hair and didn't notice much of a difference, so I didn't end up taking the plunge. A henna gloss sounds like a nice idea :)
    Type: 3a (ish)
    Density: medium
    Porosity: low/normal
    Thickess: medium

Current Routine:
    - J.R. Liggett Coconut and Argan Oil shampoo bar (sulfate free, silicone free, detergent free)
    - S2C with Beauty and the Bees conditioner bar
    -scrunch out the water, then apply Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
    -plop as long as I can
    -scrunch with water often

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file