i don’t understand my hair

oliviazambronoliviazambron Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
so my roots are straight, the shaft of my hair is like 2b waves, some 2a, and my ends get like 2c/3a curls. but they’re SO fragile. i touch them, they’re gone. i comb my fingers through them, they’re gone. just being outside or putting my hair in a bun results in my hair loosening and looking really odd. is there any way i can make them hold longer without making them feel crunchy or hard?

Best Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Definitely take the advice from the ladies above. I would add that your hair is very normal for type 2 hair. Roots are typically straight and get curlier on the way down. Don't comb through your hair when it is dry, and try using a hard hold gel. It will cause them to be crunchy but you can easily scrunch out the crunch and get the staying power without the crunch effect.
  • Remi483Remi483 Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    My hair is the same way. I would suggest getting a trim, even just the ends. I'd ask for long layers. Also, I'd use gel, but not too much of it. 

Answers

• CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried doing a protein treatment? Sounds like your hair needs some strength.

Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: SM 100% Virgin coconut daily hydration, DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Trepadora Gojiberry Mint Reviving hair rinse
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, SM Manuka honey & Mafura oil, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition and One Condition Decadence
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original
    Refresher: diluted conditioner in a spritz bottle

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to Curl Talk!  I agree with the protein treatment.  That's how my hair gets, and a PT perks them right up.  Cheapest and easiest PT is a rice water rinse.  Most people have rice in the house - it just takes a little bit, and you can even cook up the rice to eat afterwards.  Here's more info about it

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • oliviazambronoliviazambron Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Remi483 said:
    My hair is the same way. I would suggest getting a trim, even just the ends. I'd ask for long layers. Also, I'd use gel, but not too much of it. 
    i got a trim in june and got layers during that trim, and it helped with the curls/waves forming easier and i find that gel makes my hair feel too crunchy and oily looking. but thank you i will try it out!
  • oliviazambronoliviazambron Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    CurlyLili said:
    Have you tried doing a protein treatment? Sounds like your hair needs some strength.

i haven’t, but i’ll definitely try it out. thank you!
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome to Curl Talk!  I agree with the protein treatment.  That's how my hair gets, and a PT perks them right up.  Cheapest and easiest PT is a rice water rinse.  Most people have rice in the house - it just takes a little bit, and you can even cook up the rice to eat afterwards.  Here's more info about it

i’ll be sure to try this out, thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file