I have a question concerning the border...

LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
The people there are being called immigrants.  Aren't some of them refugees?  I believe there are different laws concerning each.  Are children being taken away from the refugees?  I hope I'm not sounding too stupid.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi @Lotsawaves
    I'm not an expert but I work and study in immigration / refugee law. Sorry if the answer is a bit long, I hope this makes sense. 
    To understand this, we need to look at the Obama and the Trump administration separately. Also, different regimes apply depending on whether you cross at the southern border, you apply for asylum and are 'legally' in the US, or cross the border 'illegally'. 

Under the Obama administration: 
    If you are an asylum seeker (a person seeking refugee status in the US) and you ask for asylum at one of the points of entry at the Southern border, you would be subject to a process called expedited removal. This means you are automatically placed in detention. However, Obama would not enforce detention systematically, and would not detain families with children. 

If you seek asylum as you are already in the US and have a legal status (like a visa for instance), you would not be detained, so no family separation. 

If you cross the border illegally, that is a crime under U.S. law. You can be put in prison. However, here again, Obama administration would generally not enforce this and never detain families with children. 

Under the Trump administration: 
    The 'expedited removal' thing applies to almost everyone now. Refugees (whether they are at the border, or overstay their visa and ask for asylum) are subject to this procedure, so they have to be detained. Because Trump detains everyone, families are separated, as the children have to be sent to a different facility. 

People who cross the border illegally are now called 'illegal aliens' and are systematically put in prison. Children are separated here too. 

I hope this makes sense. Basically, yes, refugees can totally be detained and under this administration they are systematically detained. They are treated as criminals for crossing the border 'illegally'. Then, they are given one chance to apply through a 'credible fear' interview. If the interview is unsuccessful they can be sent back under 7 days. Of course, these people have suffered persecution and are often traumatised, so the interview usually doesn't go well. They are not given a lawyer. 
    As you can see, the situation is so terrible. Trump has destroyed the US asylum system. 

2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Thank you so much!  

From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Thank you so much!  

From Michael Berg:

Of course !  :smile:
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Hi @Lotsawaves
    I'm not an expert but I work and study in immigration / refugee law. Sorry if the answer is a bit long, I hope this makes sense. 
    To understand this, we need to look at the Obama and the Trump administration separately. Also, different regimes apply depending on whether you cross at the southern border, you apply for asylum and are 'legally' in the US, or cross the border 'illegally'. 

If you are an asylum seeker (a person seeking refugee status in the US) and you ask for asylum at one of the points of entry at the Southern border, you would be subject to a process called expedited removal. This means you are automatically placed in detention. However, Obama would not enforce detention systematically, and would not detain families with children. 

If you seek asylum as you are already in the US and have a legal status (like a visa for instance), you would not be detained, so no family separation. 

If you cross the border illegally, that is a crime under U.S. law. You can be put in prison. However, here again, Obama administration would generally not enforce this and never detain families with children. 

The 'expedited removal' thing applies to almost everyone now. Refugees (whether they are at the border, or overstay their visa and ask for asylum) are subject to this procedure, so they have to be detained. Because Trump detains everyone, families are separated, as the children have to be sent to a different facility. 

People who cross the border illegally are now called 'illegal aliens' and are systematically put in prison. Children are separated here too. 

I hope this makes sense. Basically, yes, refugees can totally be detained and under this administration they are systematically detained. They are treated as criminals for crossing the border 'illegally'. Then, they are given one chance to apply through a 'credible fear' interview. If the interview is unsuccessful they can be sent back under 7 days. Of course, these people have suffered persecution and are often traumatised, so the interview usually doesn't go well. They are not given a lawyer. 
    As you can see, the situation is so terrible. Trump has destroyed the US asylum system. 

Hi @Lotsawaves

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    CurlyD24 said:
    Hi @Lotsawaves

Thanks for the insightful explanation! We have such smart curlies here at CurlTalk!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for this explanation!  I live in Canada (and am Canadian) but have been reading bit and pieces of what is going on in the US.  The whole refugee/immigration situation is horrible and also confusing.  Appreciate the clarification.
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Two different Presidents speaking on immigration.

From Michael Berg:

• GuardianBGuardianB Registered Users Posts: 1,905 Curl Connoisseur
    These laws are not new.  They were in place well before Obama and Trump but the enforcement and the policies surrounding enforcement have changed.  The last big change I believe that impacted immigration, refugee, and citizenship was the Patriot Act 2001.  
    1952, 1965, 1986, 1990, 1996, 2002 were actual passed Acts that addressed Immigration.  Then you could even throw in the Real ID in 2005 and DACA in 2012.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file