Is straightening really bad for curly hair?

I like to straighten my hair once in a while. Let's say at least one or two times a week. Is it really bad for curls? will I lose my curls if I do it? What are the tips I can use to keep my curls healthy if I straighten my hair? Please share your experiences.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• mandy87mandy87 Posts: 13Registered Users
    I straightened my hair ALOT for 9 years anywhere from 4-6 times a week. (I refused to have curly hair then) Before I started straightening my curls were tight 3a , and now my curls are a mess, they dont know if they want to be curly, straight or wavy. (thanks to this site, my curls are finally starting to recover and regain their curl)

I'm sure if its only once and a while it won't be too bad, and if your still taking care of your hair, and using a heat protectant to protect it when you do straighten it. Theres probably other curlies on here who can be more helpful!
    2b/3a
    high porosity, medium texture, density & elasticity
    Low-Poo: Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo (1x week)
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals coconut, or greeen apple
    Leave in: Orgnx embrace balance sulfate free leave in condish
    Creams & Stylers: AG recoil, proclaim gel, LOOB
    -> just recovering from 7 yr flat iron addiction, currrently attempting to master plopping method :thumright:
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    well it's definitely not good for curls. it's heat damage any way you slice it. when i straightened my hair on a regular basis, my curls were dry, straggly, damaged, and dull. not straightening my hair has been one of the best things for it. when i say i straighten my hair "once in a while" i would say i straighten it once every two or three months. once or twice a week is straightening pretty regularly.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• WavyAngieWavyAngie Posts: 44Registered Users
    I straighten my hair sometimes (two or three times a month, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less). I'm lucky in a sense because when I straighten my hair, it stays straight and clean-looking for three days so I get three straight hair days for straightening once. If my hair needed to be re-straightened every day, I wouldn't do it probably at all (because it's damaging, and because I'm lazy... 8-)). The big thing is to be sure to always use a heat protectant (if you look, you'll probably be able to find one that's at least modified CG-approved - meaning some water soluble cones). My hair doesn't really get back to curly well though until I do an apple cider vinegar rinse, so I usually do one the next time I shower after I straighten my hair unless I know I'm just going to straighten it again right away. It hasn't affected my curls too much; the only problem I notice is that my ends tend to be fairly split by the time I get my hair cut.
    I have fine, 2c hair with normal porosity (I think.... :) ).

Currently, I'm using Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (co-wash), LVPNG (regular conditioner), Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and HETT (gel). Every now and then (once a week or so, whenever my hair needs it) I use GTTT shampoo. I've had good success with plopping and pixie curling, but my hair dries best if I shower and then sleep on it. My hair does NOT like honey.

I've been CG since June 29th, 2009.
  • pumkinpumkin Posts: 39Registered Users
    i just posted in the 2 forum about my experience with flatironing.i think it is still on the 1st page.:)
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here a a few links I have on heat damage from the blog the natural haven.
    How hot is too hot
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html
    Heat protectants
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/12/thermal-protection-do-they-really-work.html
    The blog the beauty brains says to avoid heat protectants that have alcohol high on the list.
    If the ingredients on drugstore.com are correct (they are often out of date), the tresemme heat protectant seems like a good one. No alcohol, an a-cone and a peg cone.
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=147153&catid=3562&fromsrch=tresemme+heat
    I personally would never use a flat iron once or twice a week. I think that is just asking for trouble.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    I think thats too often, maybe reduce it to once or twice every 2 weeks, Straightening is VERY Damaging so to reduce your chance of heat damage I would straighten less than what you are saying :)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • CurlyGreekgirl123CurlyGreekgirl123 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I used to straighten every Sunday, and it wrecked my hair. When it was once full of tight ringlets, it became a mess of waves and frizz.The stylist told me to stop straightening it so much because of breakage, but I didn't listen. Now, after months of frizz control serums, my hair feels softer and healthier. I would say to straighten your hair atmost twice a month.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I used to straighten every Sunday, and it wrecked my hair. When it was once full of tight ringlets, it became a mess of waves and frizz.The stylist told me to stop straightening it so much because of breakage, but I didn't listen. Now, after months of frizz control serums, my hair feels softer and healthier. I would say to straighten your hair atmost twice a month.
    I'm glad you've reduced your straightenings. And glad your hair feels better. 

Why do you straighten? Just for a new look? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Creole PrincessCreole Princess Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Selena33 said:
    I like to straighten my hair once in a while. Let's say at least one or two times a week. Is it really bad for curls? will I lose my curls if I do it? What are the tips I can use to keep my curls healthy if I straighten my hair? Please share your experiences.

Thanks.:)
    I straighten my hair once a month.  Rarely do I do more than that. And my hair fortunately stays straight until after water reverts it. It does get puffy and frizzy due to humidity but its straight more or less. And even doing it once a month is damaging.... all it takes is one time and bam! 

The only part of my hair I did straighten like I would say... regularly would be bangs which I don't really have anymore. 

But for you I do advise heat protectant, and treatments that are for heat damaged hair and to revive your curls. And please stop the once or twice a week straightening if you value your curls. You will lose them.

My Hair:
    2c/3a || Low Porosity/Average || High Density || Fine/Medium strands || Half Virgin Half Dyed Hair 

Current Products:
    Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Conditioner || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Hair Mask (DC) || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Leave In || Cholesterol Hot Oil Treatment || Grape Seed Oil || Rice Water Rinse || 14 in 1 Moisturizer || Carol Daughter Vanilla Spray || Argan Oil Mouse || Style Factor Edge Boost || Salon Pro Maximum hold Twin Olive || Garnier Fructis Flat Iron Spray

Currently Waist Length 29" || Goal: Classical Length 40"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file