How to diffuse the back of my head? I have short arms???

katherineviolinistkatherineviolinist Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
So I diffuse with my hair by flipping it to one side or the other and it will look really good in the front/sides, but it looks wonky and almost straight in the back. Like is it that my hair is just straight in the back or do I need to figure out a way to reach back there and diffuse the back? Is it possible to have two different hair types like that, and if so, what are my different hair types? Here are some pics where you can see the difference:
Front:
Back:

Side:

Back:

And here's one where you can literally see the divide- the left side is the side of my head a d the right is the back.:

Thanks for all your help!

Best Answers

• Creole PrincessCreole Princess Posts: 23 Curl Novice
    Accepted Answer
    I never diffused before but have you tried hanging your head upside down and drying it that way? So you can reach the back. Let me know!
    My Hair:
    2c/3a || Low Porosity/Average || High Density || Fine/Medium strands || Half Virgin Half Dyed Hair 

Current Products:
    Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Conditioner || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Hair Mask (DC) || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Leave In || Cholesterol Hot Oil Treatment || Grape Seed Oil || Rice Water Rinse || 14 in 1 Moisturizer || Carol Daughter Vanilla Spray || Argan Oil Mouse || Style Factor Edge Boost || Salon Pro Maximum hold Twin Olive || Garnier Fructis Flat Iron Spray

Currently Waist Length 29" || Goal: Classical Length 40"

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    When I diffuse, I do the sides, and the nape of my neck. When those are dry, I turn my head upside down like @Creole Princess described and diffuse the roots on the top of my head and whatever falls into my diffuser from the back.

Just as a side note, I wonder if your hair is sensitive to protein. The type of frizz you have looks like what I get when I have overdone the protein. Too much protein can make the hair straighter--it looks like your curls in the back are elongated. You had also mentioned in your other thread about your hair not drying very fast when you use certain products, which is a sign of low-porosity hair, which can sometimes have problems with protein. Maybe consider stopping protein for a while? That might make your curls perk up. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• katherineviolinistkatherineviolinist Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @Creole Princess Yes, but my hair is kinda short in thr back so it doesn't really reach all the way, but I can try it.
    @Therese1
    I didn't think of that, but you're probably right. The onlt problem is that I distribute all my products evenly throughout my hair so idk why one section would react and the others wouldn't. I'll check all my products and cut out the ones that have proteins and see if that works. Thanks!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have a very strong colic in the back of my head, and I find that the hair by the colic tends to be straighter than the rest of my hair, and also lower porosity than the rest of my hair. 

A lot of us do have varying curl patterns on our heads, and also varying density, which can affect how well the hair curls. I have less density and a looser curl pattern at the front of my head (2a), and I have much curlier hair at the nape of my neck (2c?).
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • katherineviolinistkatherineviolinist Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited May 2018
    @Therese1 Yeah, I'm not totally sure, but I think mine is like 2b on the sides and front and like 2a/1 in the back. 
    @Therese1 So I did as you suggested and cut out all protein and here are the results:
    Pre sotc:

Post sotc:

It's still not entirely uniform, but to my eye, it does look a lot better. I think you were right on the money with the protein thing. My hair actually dried in 3 hours (although I was diffusing on low heat for 1 one of them). I think my curl definition is better, and I think I might even have a few 2c waves if you can see from the picture. I used sm low porosity shampoo, curls coconut curlada conditioner, and then I applied curls lavish moisturizer, and scrunched in camille rose curl maker, and to finish off la naturals hard hold gel. None of which, I believe, have proteins. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Way to go, @Therese1 ! Super smart! 
    @katherineviolinist it's looking great! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Creole PrincessCreole Princess Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @katherineviolinist

Just keep it up! If it looks like that after one wash, I wonder what it will look like after a few more?

@Therese1

Great adivce! :)
    My Hair:
    2c/3a || Low Porosity/Average || High Density || Fine/Medium strands || Half Virgin Half Dyed Hair 

Current Products:
    Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Conditioner || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Hair Mask (DC) || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Leave In || Cholesterol Hot Oil Treatment || Grape Seed Oil || Rice Water Rinse || 14 in 1 Moisturizer || Carol Daughter Vanilla Spray || Argan Oil Mouse || Style Factor Edge Boost || Salon Pro Maximum hold Twin Olive || Garnier Fructis Flat Iron Spray

Currently Waist Length 29" || Goal: Classical Length 40"

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm glad things are improving! I do think the curls look plumper.

I think that some of the products you mentioned still contain protein. The Curls Lavish Moisturizer has silk amino acids, and I'm pretty sure the LA Looks gels all contain protein. Do you have other products you could use instead?

It usually takes me a couple of weeks to recover from protein overload. I think people who are protein sensitive need to find out which proteins work best (for me, it's silk, keratin, and collagen), and how often to use them (for me, every couple of weeks is best--more than that and it's a problem). 

I also usually do a deep condition when I discover my hair has protein overload. It helps some moisture get inside the cuticle (the extremely low porosity of the hair means it's hard for moisture to get inside). It's hard for the moisture to penetrate the cuticle just during the time of a shower. I would let some conditioner (without protein) sit on your hair for 20-30 minutes and see if that helps anything in the short term.
    @Therese1 So I knew the curls lavish moisturizer does have silk amino acids, but I heard they're a smaller protein, mkre easily absorbable protein, and they're like in line 7 out of 8 lines of ingredients. And I don't use LA Look. I use Giovanni's LA Naturals gel. The names do look alike lol, and this gel does not have proteins. And i deep conditioned today with Eden jojoba and monoi deep conditioner today. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file