Cosmetology schools teaching almost nothing about curly hair.

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
My sister and I went to a Spa Day this week put on by a local cosmetology school. We had our hands dipped in hot wax, a hand massage, and a manicure. While the girl was doing my manicure I asked her how much time was spent learning about curly hair and she said the only thing they learned was that curly hair shrinks. That's it.  Grrr.
--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
--My CG and grey hair progress -  
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
--My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,108Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Sounds about right considering the horror stories floating around here.
  • Samm18Samm18 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I’m actually in cosmetology school, and I have 3c hair. My school teaches straight hair and 4c hair. So that kind of puts me out being I’m neither of those. I hoped to learn more about my own hair and how to properly take care of it here, but so far, nothing. 
  • justkaty5justkaty5 Posts: 103Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I moved from a very small town in Kentucky to Louisville a few years ago. Haircuts in my town generally cost around $15, so I was kind of in shock at the "city prices" being an average of $50 for a cut. A nearby town I work in generally costs around $25 for a cut. I don't have really any curly friends, so stylist recommendations aren't extremely helpful. To save money, I started getting my hair cut at the local cosmetology school. Bless their hearts. Each time I go I get deer-in-the-headlights looks from the students. Their instructors aren't much better. My hair is just wavy, and it's on the thicker side but not crazy thick. The last time I went, the instructor said, "With hair like this, you always want to thin it as much as possible." I nearly came out of the chair.
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Yikes @justkaty5!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Samm18 said:
    I’m actually in cosmetology school, and I have 3c hair. My school teaches straight hair and 4c hair. So that kind of puts me out being I’m neither of those. I hoped to learn more about my own hair and how to properly take care of it here, but so far, nothing. 
    So far — here — you've learned nothing about how to take care of your hair? How can we help? Please dig around the site; there's tons of information. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @Gretchen ; I was thinking she meant she hadn't learned anything at school! I hope she didn't mean here at NC. There's so much info here! 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @jeepcurlygurl, that's unbelievable! I hoped that the schools would have at least been teaching dry cutting. Eek.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I asked her @Therese1 and she said no they are only taught to cut hair wet. Ugh.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    @Gretchen and @jeepcurlygurl, in my experience and maybe this is related to where I live, I don't know. The Hispanic and Black stylists I have gone to have a much better grasp on how to take care of curly hair than most white stylists I have gone to. Small sample size, I acknowledge but just an observation. 
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • QuoththeRavenQuoththeRaven Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It’s sad but true. I have a friend who is a cosmetologist and I was talking to her about cutting my hair. When I mentioned that I prefer dry cutting because my hair ALWAYS turns out mishapen when it’s cut wet, she got real uncomfortable and said that she only cuts hair wet and that my hair would still turn out well. And this past October I got my hair cut professionally and the woman cut my hair wet and ended up taken off too much at the bottom middle section and it’s still not quite right...
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    It’s sad but true. I have a friend who is a cosmetologist and I was talking to her about cutting my hair. When I mentioned that I prefer dry cutting because my hair ALWAYS turns out mishapen when it’s cut wet, she got real uncomfortable and said that she only cuts hair wet and that my hair would still turn out well. And this past October I got my hair cut professionally and the woman cut my hair wet and ended up taken off too much at the bottom middle section and it’s still not quite right...
    So frustrating!  

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Grrr!! Upsetting. 
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gretchen said:
    So far — here — you've learned nothing about how to take care of your hair? How can we help? Please dig around the site; there's tons of information. 

Yep. I'm 32 and only started learning about curly hair in the past 4 years because of this site and YouTube. You can find anything on the internet nowadays, you just have to research and be patient. I wouldn't look to biased-ass cosmetology schools to learn about our hair. I had a friend who attended the Paul Mitchell school and she told me they learned a little bit about curly hair (something about diffusers) but that was it  :s  
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    justkaty5 said:
    I moved from a very small town in Kentucky to Louisville a few years ago. Haircuts in my town generally cost around $15, so I was kind of in shock at the "city prices" being an average of $50 for a cut. A nearby town I work in generally costs around $25 for a cut. I don't have really any curly friends, so stylist recommendations aren't extremely helpful. To save money, I started getting my hair cut at the local cosmetology school. Bless their hearts. Each time I go I get deer-in-the-headlights looks from the students. Their instructors aren't much better. My hair is just wavy, and it's on the thicker side but not crazy thick. The last time I went, the instructor said, "With hair like this, you always want to thin it as much as possible." I nearly came out of the chair.
    I *always* got my hair thinned, my entire life, because I didn't know any better and neither did any stylist I ever went to  :'( 

Also, stylists seem to be taught that you not only have to cut hair wet, but then have to dry it and make sure it's straight (either blow-out or with a straightening iron) to make sure the cut is even when dry...no wonder I only ever thought my hair looked *right* when I straightened it!

I also used to think diffusers were horrible frizz machines, but that was because the stylists who had used them on me 1) put lots of product that didn't agree with my hair and 2) bounced the diffuser like crazy all over my head  :s
    2c low/medium porosity
    CG since May 2018
  • SojSoj Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Novice
    No one gets near my head with a pair of scissors!  I actually had a hairdresser tell me to perm my already curly hair.  I didn't realize it was supposed to BE curly because my mother kept it in braids when I was young, and in order to avoid being followed around at school by kids going "WOO WOO WOO" and calling me "squaw", I chopped a braid off and claimed I'd awakened that way.  (Because I had been BEGGING her to stop braiding and she refused). 

From then until into my 30s I kept it short because it was so unruly, not realizing that the "unruliness" would pass once it grew out again.  I had long hair for a short while in college but since I'd been taught to "brush 100 times morning and night" it was just a frizzy mess.  So I went back to short and brutishly permed on the advice of the hairdresser.  I only discovered my True Curly when I moved to Puerto Rico, stopped getting it permed because I was busy, and it burst into lovely curly bloom once the perm grew out.

NEVER AGAIN!  Hairdressers/cosmetologists in general have some really funny ideas about hair.  I had one tell me long hair would damage your scalp and I should cut it.  LOL!  And no, my hair wasn't THAT long, that the sheer weight of it would have been a problem.

I guess I DO know some curly haters after all.  They're all professional stylists!
  • Kurai_SenKurai_Sen Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    This thread hits home so hard! Over here in India, even when we've got a massive number of people with natural waves and curls (especially down South. Almost every single South Indian, including me, has some sort of wave or curl pattern), hair stylists literally can only cut straight hair. No wonder so many people do chemical smoothenings, because stylists know absolutely nothing about cutting ANY sort of texture and always blow dry it straight.

I guess I'm a little bit lucky in that regard. My hair stylist gives me a lot of good layers and cuts it well, even though he does do it when its wet and always blowdries it straight and curls the bottoms. I always anyway come home and wash it myself because I can't stand blowdried hair anymore. But I'm the luckier of the bunch. Most of us Indians anyway don't have any information about the difference between caring for curly hair and straight hair, and cosmetology schools are even worse when their graduates ask people to chemically damage their hair in order to make it manageable. (Don't have to worry about it growing out, right?)
    Animal obsessed wavy with a love for writing 

2B/2C Indian wavy, low-medium porosity, medium-high density, coarse hair
    Shampoo: WOW Miracle 10-in-1 Shampoo
    Conditioner: WOW Argan Oil Conditioner
    Gel: Arata Hair Gel
    DC/ Treatment: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    Clarifying Shampoo: Pantene Lively Clean

CG since May '18

After nearly two decades of neglect, CG finally helped me embrace my hair as a part and parcel of my identity
    Love your insight, @Soj. And @Kurai_Sen,  thanks for sharing your perspective from another part of the globe!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • bobbybobby Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've only been to a beauty school once and they seemed pretty curly hair savvy but that's only one such example. 
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file