Help!!!! THE BACK OF MY HEAD IS REALLY CURLY!

MessyHairMessyHair Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Ok, so I have always had a rough time with my hair. It's been through a lot. I've straightened it so much and it has caused so much breakage and damage. My hair has always been pretty curly until I started to straighten it. The back of my head is still really curly (3b- 3c) and I don't know what to do. Does Anyone know of any treatments to help the top portion of my hair to help renew the curls? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk, @MessyHair !  We're so glad to have you. 
    Did you chemically straighten your hair or just with heat and brush? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MessyHairMessyHair Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    Welcome to CurlTalk, @MessyHair !  We're so glad to have you. 
    Did you chemically straighten your hair or just with heat and brush? 

I have never chemically straightened my hair. I straighten with heat almost every other day because my hair is a mess (hence my username :D )

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    So often with us Type 3as and 3bs, the very top of our hair isn't very curly. Plus, on my head at least, the back of my head is MUCH curlier than other places. It's so weird. The shrinkage is considerable at the back of my head (like the nape) whereas the curliness in other places is much looser. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Paloma1Paloma1 Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Hi. I have 3b-c curly hair also and deep conditioning has helped me a lot... 
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree the best you can do is work to improve the condition of your hair. I would start by using a clarifying shampoo to remove what ever heat protection you have been using. A cheap sulfate with no silicones will do in a pinch, but you might want to invest in a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo like Kinky Curly Come Clean or Pure and Basic Clarifying Citrus Shampoo. These contain C14-16 olefin sulfonate which remove other types of buildup as well. Follow up with a deep treatment as @Paloma1 suggested. Its a good idea to do a clarify+DT about 1x/week to 1x/month, when your hair tells you it needs it, because even healthy ingredients will build-up.

After that, if you want to embrace your curls, learn what you can about the Curly Girl Method and try to apply the principles as consistently as you can. The Newbie section of Curltalk is a good place to start, and there are a lot of good articles around nc.com. (These are how I got started). A lot of people read the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. Also, one of the co-founders of nc.com, Michelle Breyer, just came out with a book called Curl Revolution, which has the best of the best from nc.com plus some more, and I think its a good read as well. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file