Can someone explain the MAP method to me, and why it’s beneficial?

BDauzBDauz Registered Users Posts: 28 Curl Neophyte
I have been following several curly girl on Instagram, and many are talking about the MAP method. I’ve seen fabulous results, but can’t find anything in my google search to explain how this is done or what it entails. I’m hoping someone has tried this method, and can explain how to do it and why it’s beneficial. 

Thank y’all in advance! 
3A/3B, Low Porosity, Fine Hair, Medium Density, Currently: Limp Curls (Hoping to fix that)

Current Products: Nothing I really want to stick to ... using Shea Moisture, it doesn't do much for my hair. OPEN to suggestions :smile:

-- Brooke

Answers

• ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    I have never heard of the MAP method, @BDauz. I will be following this discussion. Hopefully someone will chime in soon. ;)

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't know much about it, but I believe it is something Scott Musgrave developed, if that helps you turn up any new info.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I guess you have to buy the online course: Cultivate Your Curls - The MAP Method

ETA: I just found this thread on curltalk about the MAP Method. About the 7th post down, @Chupie has a description of it.

https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/162051/have-any-wavies-tried-the-scott-musgrave-way-of-styling-wavy-hair
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • BDauzBDauz Registered Users Posts: 28 Curl Neophyte
    @bomega Thanks! I'm going to go dig through that info!!!
    3A/3B, Low Porosity, Fine Hair, Medium Density, Currently: Limp Curls (Hoping to fix that)

Current Products: Nothing I really want to stick to ... using Shea Moisture, it doesn't do much for my hair. OPEN to suggestions :smile:

-- Brooke
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I had the chance to see Scott Musgrave for a haircut back in 2015 (I live in NY but was in NC for a long weekend). At that point he was already looking to monetize MAP, and I was explicitly asked not to share details. That said, it was very similar to what I was already doing (he had a now deleted blog post about it, so for a few years between when he published the blog post and when I saw him for a cut I said I used MAP, but after discussing the technique in more detail I started saying I use a technique similar to MAP). I actually did purchase the coarse, although I haven’t gone through any of it yet. Many of the people I know have said the FB group is invaluable. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Hey @corrina777, thanks for sharing! In all my searching online, it seems like this info is super hush hush unless you opt to purchase the course. Even the facebook group you are referencing is EXCLUSIVELY for people that have made that purchase. My big deal is that I'd like to know just the basics before making that kinda purchase. As we all know, what works for one curly doesn't necessarily work for another. I already have a slew of products only used 3-4 times that didn't jive with my hair, so what if I purchase the course and it doesn't work? Someone's got to be willing to give just a run down!?!

-- Brooke
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    @BDauz, That other thread has info about the original blog post.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    @BDauz, I have not taken this course, but my understanding is that it's not about products, it's all about techniques.  It's a chance to learn from a top leader in the field, without having to go to North Carolina or wherever he is, and pay for an appointment. 

I took the Atoya Bass online course (very similar concept as far as the course, although different techniques).  I don't think I will ever get to Portland to see her in person, and she's not accepting new clients anyway.  But this was a chance to learn her technique from afar. 

The course I took included written material, as well as videos showing how she does things.  Sections were broken out for different types of hair, showing the techniques she uses for those hair types.  In her private facebook group, she answers questions, and also posts more videos.  These are DIY videos, working on her own hair, as opposed to the ones on her website, where she's working on other people in her salon.  Somebody can't quite get the hang of second day hair, she'll video herself in her bathroom showing how she does it.  She's also done videos for diffusing, clipping, etc.

Both methods (Atoya's and the MAP method) can be used with the CG method. 

I read Scott's blog when it was still up, and I found his writing to be confusing and not very clear.  People who have taken his course say his writing has not improved.  But he's willing to expand and explain on his facebook group, and there are others who can help explain and interpret.

I was very happy I purchased Atoya's course.  And I'm considering doing the MAP course too.  If you're already happy with your hair and you're having no problems with it, it's probably not going to worth the money.  But I seem to be pretty inept with my hair, and I need all the help I can get. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Yeah, the info used to be more readily available, but Scott has removed everything referencing it because of the course. In fairness, MAP is his baby and my understanding is that the videos build even more on what I learned from talking to him. There’s a significant variation from person to person, so what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. Knowing that, the concern was that if someone shares onlynthe basics, and doesn’t explain it well, and someone doesn’t do well with it, then it becomes “oh that MAP method was awful for my hair,” etc. I’m not home right now, but when I get home I will see if I can copy and paste my styling info from my hair bio on WHC. It was written before the MAP blog was ever published, so it’s something I’m comfortable sharing without concern of violating any non-disclosure (yeah, purchasing the course seriously includes a non-disclosure). As I said, there are some similarities to MAP, but it’s definitely not exactly the same. If my “goo and go” technique seems promising, then you might consider it worth splurging for the course. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I couldn’t copy and paste from my phone, so I grabbed screenshots. Hopefully you’ll be able to enlarge and read. Reiterating that this isn’t MAP, but it has a number of things in common with MAP. 
    Looking at the screenshots, they’re out of order. Correct order is 2,3,1. Sorry about that!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Thanks @Corrina777! I will be giving this method a whirl tomorrow on my wash day, and see how it works on my curls. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!!

-- Brooke
    I finally decided to sign up for this course.  I had taken the one from Atoya Bass and learned a lot.  Her method worked great for me in spring/summer/fall, but this entire winter my hair has been awful.  I needed to do something different, I just wasn't sure what.

So this weekend I signed up and watched the videos.  I gave the MAP method a try on Sunday - my hair turned out AMAZING!  It was a HUGE difference!  It wasn't perfect, but a whole lot better than before! 

If you're happy with your hair and you feel you're getting good results, then you probably don't need this course.  But if you're having problems, I highly recommend this!  It's still basically the curly girl method, but he builds on it and shows you how to do what he does in the salon.

Look at those full bouncy curls!  Last week this was pretty much straight/frizz.
    Current products:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Wow! Cool!  Would you want to write about it for NC or would that be copyright violation of his methods? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    He is quite sensitive about spreading his info around.  I'm pretty sure there was a non-disclosure thing I agreed to when I signed up.  If anyone would like to learn more, his own blog explains a bit.  http://www.scottmusgravehair.com/scott-musgrave-blog/cultivate-your-curls-with-the-map-method-online-course-is-live/

Current products:
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    Guide 65 said:
    I finally decided to sign up for this course.  I had taken the one from Atoya Bass and learned a lot.  Her method worked great for me in spring/summer/fall, but this entire winter my hair has been awful.  I needed to do something different, I just wasn't sure what.

So this weekend I signed up and watched the videos.  I gave the MAP method a try on Sunday - my hair turned out AMAZING!  It was a HUGE difference!  It wasn't perfect, but a whole lot better than before! 

If you're happy with your hair and you feel you're getting good results, then you probably don't need this course.  But if you're having problems, I highly recommend this!  It's still basically the curly girl method, but he builds on it and shows you how to do what he does in the salon.

Look at those full bouncy curls!  Last week this was pretty much straight/frizz.
    Your hair looks great @Guide 65. <3  Thanks for posting the link.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

Every time I see that picture all I can see is that dry/fuzzy spot at the top LOL.  It's miles better than it was before, but I still have a ways to go!  
    Current products:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Guide 65 said:
    He is quite sensitive about spreading his info around.  I'm pretty sure there was a non-disclosure thing I agreed to when I signed up.  If anyone would like to learn more, his own blog explains a bit.  http://www.scottmusgravehair.com/scott-musgrave-blog/cultivate-your-curls-with-the-map-method-online-course-is-live/

That was my thought. Oh, well!  Can't blame him for being protective! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file