Hair routine/products??

musamusa Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
Can anyone who has type 3A hair list their hair routines and/or all time favorite hair products? I need a new one because my hair is frizzy all of the time and flat at the top and I don’t feel confident with it.

Answers

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @musa,

Welcome to nc.com. You might want to start by identifying your other hair properties, as these can often affect what types of products and techniques will work best with our hair. Check out the nc.com texture quiz: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz. There is also a lot of info in the newbie section that might help.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is 3a-3b combined but tends to lean more 3a in the winter. 

I’ve been CG for 14 years. I don’t use shampoo or low-poo. I like a simple routine with inexpensive, easy to find, products.  

I condition wash my hair upside down in the sink (that's how I've washed my hair my whole life). I rinse, add a bunch of conditioner, massage my scalp, and detangle while rinsing. I don't use a leave in unless it's really dry and cold, then I'll add a bit of my regular conditioner or oil to the ends. I add gel to dripping wet hair, scrunch, put hair up in a turban towel and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then I take it down, put some claw clips on the top to lift it up and add volume, air dry for a half hour or so then diffuse dry and scrunch with my hair upside down for less than 5 minutes, to add volume and finish drying my hair. I use an inexpensive pancake style diffuser (Conair Curl Fusion).

I do a deep treatment once a month or so. Sometimes I run coconut oil through my hair, put it in a braid and leave it in there a few hours or overnight. Or I might mix together some conditioner, oil, and honey, add it to wet hair, put on a plastic shower cap then a turban towel, and let it sit for an hour.  After either type of treatment I rinse, add more conditioner and a vinegar rinse at the same time (1/4 cup vinegar in a big mug of warm water) and detangle well. Then I rinse and do the rest of my usual routine.  

I haven't been in a salon since I was 18 and had a disaster of a pre-senior pic "trim". So I've been cutting my own hair for over 40 years. I've cut my hair long, short, pixies, bobs, and everything in between. I use cheap scissors, nothing special. I usually cut it dry, curl by curl, via the Curly Girl method. But sometimes if I just want a quick trim or some layers I cut it wet with all my hair on top of my head in a ponytail.  There are lots of videos using both methods on youtube. There is also some good instruction in the 2nd Curly Girl book (which includes a cd). 

My favorite products are Suave Coconut Conditioner, VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar. But I do like to experiment with new things once in awhile, for fun.

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file