Are You Embracing or Running Away From Your Gray Hair?

15678911»

Comments

• Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 67 Curl Connoisseur
    I found my first strands of gray hair 2 months ago in the front of my head. I was like no Lord why I am only 27 I thought I was going to get grey strands in my 40's 😞 I cut them with scissors because they are not really attached yet to my roots.
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    @Curly-coily megan I found my first grays in my early 20's. I plucked them out for the first while, but they were coming in too quick so I decided to cover them. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Embracing. (I need to change my avatar, lol, I've grown it all out since then.) I cannot believe how much nicer my hair is since I stopped coloring it- softer, shinier, bouncier and not a split end in sight.

My MIL, who still colors her hair dark brown, was saying that her hairstylist wants to start adding highlights because "older skin needs lighter pieces to add a glow to it that age takes away" and how that's going to add $100 to her monthly coloring charge. Without thinking, I said, "Hey, it's great that Mother Nature is doing that for me free of charge!" My MIL now has 4" of grown out roots. She hasn't colored her hair since then.
    Hilarious!  And yes, update your avatar so we can see your current beautiful self!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MamaLamaMamaLama Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    At first my grey made my brunette look washed out, but the more it grows in, the whiter and prettier it is. I started highlighting to blend the dark and the light, but now I'm wondering whether that's ruining my curl/wave pattern.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I’m just approaching the point where the silver strands are visible from close-up. When I was younger I was certain I would dye my hair (as my mother continues to do), but I’ve realized my priorities have changed in that time. While I enjoy and embrace a detailed skincare routine, I have always gravitated towards low maintenance hair, and the idea of spending all of that time and money (not to mention the eventual awkward transition) just doesn’t appeal to me at all. Maybe it’s because I know I don’t look anywhere close to my 40 years old, but I’m looking forward to eventually rocking some platinum/silver curls. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • nikkyariananikkyariana Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
    I'm 18, and don't have a single strand of gray hair. But my one of my grandmas has straight hair and it's gray, she's 63. She says she loves it and it shows the world how long she's been here. My other grandma has beautiful curls, is 65 and doesn't have a single gray strand. She also doesn't color it. If I don't have that from her on my DNA I'll be pissed haha. Kidding. I bet you all look beautiful with gray hair, but do whatever makes you feel more confident! As an 18 year old I look at all of you with admiration! :smile:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    @Corrina777
    nice to see you!    

@nikkyariana -- my first gray strands started when i was 17!!  and by my mid 30s i was definitely on my way, as my dad had been, and now my daughter.
    at 73 yrs old my mom's hair was only 1/4 gray.  
    so yes, genetics play a big part.  
    Love your curls!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • EvolvingfroEvolvingfro Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 14 Curl Novice
    I'm am trying to make this decision now!  I have maybe a dozen gray hairs (not sure exactly since I have been plucking them on sight) but with my hair being low density I've decided I finally have enough that I should make a decision--cover them up with color or let them run wild.  I'm leaning toward going grey naturally given my past experience. I dyed my hair blond from the age of 12-24 and it was a pain to go back to my natural color when I decided I'd had enough with the maintenance and cost of coloring.  As much as I know I'd hate having to color my hair, it's still scary to not knowing how my grey will grow in!
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    It's a tough decision. I sometimes wish I'd never dyed my hair as the growing out process was such a pain (and I knew I didn't want to be dying my hair dark brown into my sixties and beyond) but I also know that I just wasn't ready to let it grow in when I was in my thirties and had very young children. By the time the allergy hit and I had no choice in the matter, I was in my fifties and ok with it.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    3b in South Australia.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    @Evolvingfro good luck with the decision.  It sounds like you may have some time.  I started gets grays in my early 30s and so colored.  In my mid-50s now, I'm considering letting it go.  It's a tough call. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    @Evolvingfro -- i started greying in my late teens,and by late 30s was coloring.  then i finally stopped coloring and the transition was painstaking!!   white/grey on top/black on bottom half.  took about 18 months til it grew totally out and that is with my wearing my hair about 3, 4 inches shorter than i had been.

plus, i saw my sister's beautiful salt and pepper hair as her gray was coming in and was sorry i missed that stage.   

i watched 2 aunts color their hair well into their 70s, 80s, and saw how terrible it looked.  the more gray you have, the darker you need to go to cover it as it is resistant.  from once every 6 weeks, it goes to 3 weeks and could go to 2 weeks.  that's a lot of time.   

i was never happy with the coloring -- first week was too dark, 2nd week ok, 3rd week had line showing.   i wanted to stop but knew i wouldn't do a pixie cut (face too round for that style) so as much as i hated coloring, i needed to be ready for the long transition.  (in between my son got married, a year later my daughter, so of course i did not start transition then....)

if i had to do it over, i would never color.  (my ex hated my hair, the curls and the gray, so i started coloring.  notice, of course, that he is "ex."  lol!)  never please anyone else.   for the most part people were positive about my transitioning and ultimate gray/white, and most importantly, i love it!  

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I started having foils applied to my hair in my mid/late 30's to help with the grays. My natural color is/was dark ash blonde/light ash brown, so the foils blended in well. By my late 40's/early 50's, all the years of foils (3xyear) had made my hair quite dry and my curls crispy. I had my shoulder length hair cut to a chin length bob and grew out the bleached foils. It took about a year. My transition wasn't too awful because my husband was supportive and my natural color isn't that much darker than my silvers. Now, at the age of 56, I have a blend of dark ash blonde/light ash brown and silver. I love the health of my hair now and the time and money I've saved.  Mostly I appreciate growing older with some grace - I read a quote somewhere that "I'm not letting myself go, I'm letting myself BE."  

If you chose to let your hair grow out naturally, I would recommend joining an online group of women doing the same thing to help support your decision - lots of different ones on facebook, like curly silvers and wavy silvers. There's also lots of instagram posts you can follow - like embrace.the.grey and grombre. We'll also be happy to support you here!!

Whatever decision you make will be the best one for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

and, adding to list, lorraine massey's book, 'silver hair.'

• StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I have a copy of that book and wished I'd had it before I started letting the grey come in, think it would have been more useful to me then, so, to Evolvingfro, if you can get hold of a copy, do.
    Also, like rbb, people have been largely very positive about my grey, if that's something that you think will bother you (don't let it!).
    3b in South Australia.
  • SojSoj Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Novice
    Neither.  Though I am seriously considering a henna treatment - the white (not grey) hairs are finally giving me an opportunity to get some red highlights in my very very dark so dark people insist its black even though it is not hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file