Curly hair: please HELP ME get it back :(

nikkyariananikkyariana Posts: 24Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hello, I'm Nicole and I'm new to the CG method!
I'm going to tell you a bit about my hair:
I was born with beautiful ringlets, and my mom sure took great care of them.
But then I started taking care of it:

(Me and my gorgeous grandma ft my bunny and my bunny teeth)
And I also started skating, so you can only imagine the amount of damage. Frequently straightening my hair because my curls (that were by then a poofy mess) were hard to put into a bun. And those buns... they were so tight I could also feel my face being pulled. They had almost a full bottle of gel, and so much mousse... ugh. 
So I decided to start the CG method so I could possibly, who knows, get my curl pattern back.
I only washed and styled my hair according to the method twice and my hair went from this:

To this:

Please ignore my pajama... and mostly my under-eye bags, they are part of my life since I started college in September of last year hehe
So I think it's a huge improvement BUT I don't know the texture, although I've seen plenty of pictures...
I also use Dr.Organic Aloe Vera shampoo & conditioner, they're totally curly friendly and also nature friendly as they're bio and organic!
But in regards of the gel, we don't have much here in Portugal... I use Nivea Men Styling Gel Power... I don't see any silicones or alcohols so... I don't know...
Do you think I can at least come close to my curl pattern? I know it takes time, but I sooo regret not taking care of my hair sooner..
Thank you so much!
(I follow youtuber Curly Penny, who has plenty of information hehe and sorry if the pics are too big... I don't know how to change the size)

Best Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Beautiful!  Welcome to CurlTalk! I'm sure you can continue to coax more beautiful curls out! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • RimonsileyRimonsiley Posts: 40 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Hello!
    I think it's completely normal for hair to change pattern over time. I had wavy hair as a kid which turned into ringlets during puberty :neutral: so it's hard to say if you will come back to the pattern you had as a little girl.
    Anyway, your hair look great the way it is now. Maybe it's not so voluminous and a bit frizzy, but considering the damage you were talking about, it seems really good :smile: If you found silicone-free products which work for you, that's amazing too. I personally don't like using styling gels as it weights my hair down. Using mixture of butters and oils instead gives me enough hold and it keeps my hair a bit curlier.
    To promote curling, do you plop your hair after washing? Scrunching your hair during/after applying products helps too. For the rest, I am afraid there is nothing much to do beside trying and waiting (and persisting)... :smile:
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Your hair is amazing.  If you have access to a kitchen you may be able to make some gel

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

That blog has lots of great information about ingredients, so it may help you find products that are right for you.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @nikkyariana,

Welcome to nc.com. I agree that your hair looks great in the third picture. I would just keep doing what you are doing there! In addition to the ideas you have already gotten, I would suggest considering doing clarifying followed by deep treatment, maybe 1x/month. That can sometimes help hair that feels weighed down, and even though you aren't using silicones, even regular emollients (likes butters and oils) can build up. They just aren't as bad as silicones because they don't necessary block moisture from reaching your hair. To clarify you can use any cheap sulfate shampoo that doesn't have any avoid ingredients (especially silicones which seem to be everywhere). The deep treat, just use your regular conditioner (which looks great, by the way!) apply and leave on under a shower cap, ideally under heat for 30 minutes (for heat, a wash cloth warmed with hot water is good) then rinse.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • RimonsileyRimonsiley Posts: 40 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    @nikkyariana Thank you :blush: I use whatever I just have at home, currently I made a mixture of shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil and safflower oil (before I used avocado or jojoba oil as well). And I add a tiny bit of beeswax. Just heat up the solid ingredients and then mix in the rest. The ratio of solid to runny ingredients should be at least 1:2, as it's easier to apply when the mixture has a consistency similar to a cream.
    And as @bomega said, it's good to clarify the hair once in a while. Some people also use baking soda for that matter.
    I hope you will reach your hair goals soon! Keep us updated and let me know anytime if I can help with something :smile:

Answers

• nikkyariananikkyariana Posts: 24Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Hi @Gretchen Thank you very much! I'm glad I joined :smiley: I do hope I get some definition! I love your curls!!

@Rimonsiley
    Yes, I've hard about hair changing pattern. Casually during different times of the years my hair would have the same exact ringlets I had when I was a baby. It's always around summer until the weather changes dramatically in November. I don't know why, so maybe if I stick with this sulfate/silicone free routine they'll be able to fully come back! I haven't tried anything besides gel, as I'm new to this. I'll keep on using it to see the reaction and then If I don't like it I guess I'll have to start experimenting.
    You hair is gorgeous as well, I'm feeling (good) envy right now! What butters/oils do you use? (if you don't mind me asking) I'd like to try that out!
    Yes, I plop for around 30 minutes, and then just leave my hair down without touching it! And I scrunch a loooooot to try and promote more definition. But I read hair takes up to 6 weeks to really do change, so I guess I'll see with time!

• nikkyariananikkyariana Posts: 24Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @WavyKfromNJ Thank you so much for the link! I live by myself with a friend in a T3 so we do have a kitchen. I'll make sure to make some of the recipes, thank you!

@bomega Thank you, I'm really happy with my hair and I just started, I can only imagine in some months and years! I already heard about clarifying, I won't forget to do it because I don't want any build up. Tomorrow will be my first co wash (I have been using a sulfate free shampoo) and I'm a bit scared haha I already deep conditioned once, what I did was 1 ripe banana (since my hair is hort), 1 tablespoon of honey and another of coconut oil. My hair was so soft after! I'll add my conditioner next time! :smiley: Thank you so much, again!

@Rimonsiley I've been wanting to buy Shea Butter for a while, once I go back to my house in Lisbon I'll make sure to buy some! And thank you for telling me, I'll screenshot it and keep it in mind :smiley:

Thank you for all of the support, I'm so glad I joined nc, this makes me want to continue even more, and I'll definitely keep you updated, at least monthly updates! :smiley:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file