What natural products to use for plopping?

GregGreg Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I'm a guy and I'm pretty lost. My hair is super frizzy all the time and I don't know what to do. I shampoo and deep condition twice a week and other than that I don't wash or wet my hair. I also use argon oil sometimes because I was told it would help with frizz but it doesn't seem to be working.

I've heard that "plopping" is supposed to help a lot with frizz for people with curly hair. Everywhere I've looked they say to add product but not what kind and I don't think they are using natural products. I know leave in conditioner is supposed to be good so could I just use that? I'm just a simple kind of man and I'd rather have as few things lying around as possible.

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Greg,

No worries about the questions - that's what we are here for! :) I have one for you though. What do you mean by you are worried about frizz when your hair is tied back? The rest of us usually tie our hair back *because* we have frizz (ok not always, but often. Sometimes we tie it back because we want to :)). Maybe you mean specifically the crown frizz that especially shows when you tie your hair back? If that is the all, you can just smooth some oil or gel (or possibly even just a leave-in) to keep that down. Otherwise, can you tell us more about what is happening?

As for LOC, and other styling techniques, you will have to experiment with that to see if it works for you. Most styling techniques are about managing frizz, clumping, and curls for a look that is about a style. It might be overkill for you if all you want is to keep it together when it tied back. In addition, LOC is a popular combination which frequently works with type 3 curls. But you can also experiment with just LOC, LCO, LC, LG, LOCG...the idea is that the products you use may be specific to you and your hair and the look you want. Another major factor in identifying which specific products and techniques that will work with for you is your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). If you wanted to explore this, there is a guide in the newbie threads that can help identify these hair properties.

Finally, as far as applying styling products, usually on the wash day, people do their in shower routine (low-poo+rinseout condish, or co-wash) then apply styling products. Then on the other days, they have a refresh technique that may or may not involve getting their hair wet again, and may or may not involve additional products. They might apply styling products in the shower with drenched hair, then scrunch/plop/diffuse, or they might squeeze the excess water out before getting out of the shower, then apply products, then the rest of the styling routine. In addition, there are many different styling routines that might work for you (Smaster, Ice queen, etc) There is info in the newbie threads about this too.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Try this routine - when you condition your hair, only rinse it partially.  Just move your head really quickly under the water, then out of the water.  Now squish all the conditioner and water up into your hair.  Open your hand, place the ends of your hair in your hand, and squish upwards.  Do lots of squishing all around.  Then use a tee shirt to squish some more, and dry however you normally do.  This is an alternative to a leave-in conditioner, so you don't have to buy another bottle of stuff.

If you need more frizz control - buy a bottle of LA Looks Sports Gel (the blue one).  After conditioning, partially rinsing and squishing, right there still in the shower - add a blob of gel.  Smoosh it between your hands, then squish it into your hair the same way you squished the conditioner.  Squish all around to distribute it, then use your tee shirt to squish the water out, and dry like you usually do.  Your hair may dry crunchy - that's ok.  Once it's 100% dry, just "scrunch out the crunch" - squish it, run your fingers through it, whatever you need to do to soften it up.

You may need to experiment with different amounts of conditioner and gel - some hair likes more of one or the other.  But that's a really basic frizz-control routine.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Greg! Welcome to CurlTalk. What's your hair type?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • GregGreg Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I think it's somewhere between 2c and 3a. It's kind of wavy down the sides but curly at the bottom. When it was shorter it was very curly.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    If you don't use any gel at all (which really can help with frizz issues), then I would just use your leave-in and plop (I don't care for microfiber towels or t-shirts so I use a regular turban towel), then air dry without touching your hair too much. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree to try using just a leave-in as styler and a t-shirt instead of a microfiber towel. My microfiber towels seem to have a texture that grabbed at the hair and created frizz. Also, personally, I don't like scrunching and plopping. I feel like it breaks up my clumps. Instead, I start with completely drenched hair, add leave-in, then use the t-shirt to dry by smoothing down the length of my hair, squeezing gently as I go. I do this a few times until it is dry enough, then air dry the rest of the way. This has the effect of slightly lengthening my curl pattern which I don't like, but it also gives good clumping and minimizes frizz.

If you want a leave-in recommendation, may be suggest the Alaffia Beautiful Curls Leave-in for Wavy/Curly Hair. It is a natural-type product and I have used this alone as a styler for good results. A downside, is that it has a weird residue feeling when dry, but this is not something that builds up - it washes clean on your next wash day. Alaffia is such a great company that I feel like their products are at least worth a try. You can read more about their story and what they do on their website. And of course no need to stick with it if it doesn't work out. I think you can still find this at Whole Foods so keep your receipt and return it if it doesn't work out.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. I already use a t-shirt to pat dry my hair after a wash/condition and then air dry. My concern is primarily about frizz and not how the curls look since I have my hair up or pulled back most of the time. I'm not necessarily opposed to gel and I've also looked at the LOC method, but I'm not sure how to go about all this. When to I put this stuff in? After a wash/deep condition? And how often do I need to do so?

Sorry I have so many questions but there's so much stuff out there I am feeling completely lost.
    Thanks much @bomega, that's very helpful info. I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed but I suppose if it were easy there wouldn't need to be a website and forum dedicated to curly hair.

As far as the frizz problem goes, my whole head is frizzy and I would like to fix that but my primary concern is the crown frizz. I've used argon oil without success and I think I need to do more for my hair in general. It probably doesn't help that I wear bandanas frequently (I'm a professional landscaper so that seems the best way to keep my hair from getting caught or getting things in it).

As far as styling I'm not too concerned about the look beyond my hair being healthy and frizz free. I think I'll start with just leave-in (after wash/deep cond?) and go from there. I guess my current products may not be exactly what I need but they're what my ex had me using so I've just stuck with that. Thanks again for the advice!
    Thanks @Guide 65, that should be an easy one to try. What do you mean by crunchy? Crunchy hair does not sound appealing :#
    Hi @Greg, @Guide 65 gave you a good idea for styling. Don't worry about the crunch - that crunch is the gel doing its job. If you get it, you can just 'scrunch-out-the-crunch' (SOTC) the way Guide 65 described. Then no crunch. :)

I get you want a minimalist routine, and perhaps I overloaded you with info. I don't mean to dump on you even more, but you really should take a look at the products you are using and make sure they are CG-Method friendly. A cornerstone of the CG-Method is to avoid certain ingredients which can be drying or cause difficulty for curly hair. This includes avoiding:
    - sulfates (SLS),
    - non-water-soluable silicones (here is an article that can help you identify these: Silicone Ingredient Solubility List), 
    - petroleum by-products (mineral oil, petrolatum),
    - drying alcohols like isopropyl alcohol (fatty alcohols like cetyl alcohol are ok),
    - and ideally parabens for your health.

Now, none of this is exactly set in stone...not everyone avoids all those above. But when you are having difficult hair like difficult frizz, that's when to look into it. Or if you want to just experiment with techniques right now I get that too. But giving up non-water-soluable silicones and sulfates was one of the biggest game-changer for improving the condition of my hair.

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Greg said:
    Thanks @Guide 65, that should be an easy one to try. What do you mean by crunchy? Crunchy hair does not sound appealing :#
    Crunchy hair is not appealing!  That's why so many people (including me, once upon a time) avoid using gel.  After it dries, the hair looks shiny and hard, or it still has a wet look.  But if you ruffle up your hair afterwards, it softens and looks natural, but will be less frizzy.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is to DON'T TOUCH your hair while it's drying.  Use your towel/tee shirt, then part it how you like it, then don't touch.  The more stuff you put in your hair, the longer it'll take to dry.  But if you start messing with it while it's still wet, the more frizz you'll get.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Ya'll are great, this is incredibly helpful!

@bomega I'm definitely trying to stay away from weird chemicals but it can be tough to tell what's bad and what's benign. I'm currently using SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus curl & shine shampoo, yucca & plantain anti-breakage and strengthening masque, and I just went to the store and got a curling gel souffle (all SheaMoisture). They all say their free of like 10 different things including everything you mentioned.

I looked into the CG method a little bit and it says you're not supposed to use shampoo just co-wash. Will co-washing actually get your hair as clean as shampoo? Like I mentioned before I'm a professional landscaper so my hair is regularly subjected to sweat, dirt, and all kinds of other fun stuff. That's why I got in the habit of shampooing twice a week but I think that has contributed to the frizz and dryness I've been experiencing.

@Guide 65 I just got some gel so I will give that a try. I deep conditioned my hair last night and squished up like you said; I had forgotten how curly my hair actually is! Afterwards I put just a little avocado oil in just to give it a try and it came out much less frizzy. I also didn't shampoo so that probably helped as well. Looking forward to trying your technique with gel!
    Hi @Greg,

Yeah, the Shea Moisture products are CG-Friendly, so that's great. A long time ago, when my hair liked protein, I used to use the Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Milk. I *loved* these products back then. If you wanted to try another experiment, I would highly recommend trying the SM CH Styling Milk either by itself or under the Curling Gel Souffle. I never used the gel, but some people do this combo.

They say co-washing cleans the hair, but I could never get used to it - weighed my hair down and my scalp felt itchy. Maybe I should have given it a better chance? I use a low-poo (the SM CH Shampoo is a low poo...sulfate free gentle shampoo) and rinse-out conditioner, and I also wash my hair everyday! This is called Modified CG (following the CG Method mostly but deviating on something), but you can call me a hyprocrit. ;)

From your last experiment with co-washing you had, sounds like co-washing might work for you? But if you feel you need to go back to shampooing, that's what you gotta do...

Anyway, good luck. Sounds like your experimenting is paying off and you are making progress. :)

@bomega I've seen a lot of recommendations for SM CH Styling Milk so I may have to give it a try. Right now business is slow so my hair isn't getting as dirty but I may try to shampoo half the time and start co-washing the rest of the time.

Thank you for all the info, I'm starting to understand things a lot better now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file