Best styling products for 3a/3b curls, No glycerin, No Protein!

MissGrangerMissGranger Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
Hi ladies!  Can you recommend any hair creams or milks for my 3a/3b, thick, coarse, low porosity hair? I absolutely cannot do protein and glycerin is also bad as I live in a dry climate.  Right now, my hair loves As I am Coconut Co-wash and Leave-In, but the jelly doesn’t quite do it for me. KCCC is too hard and doesn’t have enough slip, so my hair ends up crunchy and stringy. Giovanni gel can be OK, but it is drying. I sometimes use Deva Curl decadence shampoo and conditioner, with the set-it-free and coconut curl cream.  This looks amazing, but only 30-40% of the time. 😝 I am looking for a more dependable routine as I DO NOT ever get 2nd day hair; it’s hat, pony or do it all again.  Lighter creams with good slip and hold seem to be the best for my hair.  Can you suggest anything? Affordable-ish gets priority for me.  Thank you all so much in advance! 🤗
-Victoria-
PS- that is my hair thickness with about 1/3 of my head shaved as an undercut

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You might want to take a look at Jessicurl products.  I think they're free of glycerin and protein.  Not so good on the affordable part though.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    My gel isn't protein free so I'm no help, but you might want to search here and see what they have. 
    https://shop.naturallycurly.com/shop-by-ingredient-type/

I love your hair and the cut! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MissGrangerMissGranger Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    I read someone's advice on another thread and diluted my KCCC by 50% with water, and WOW! My hair came out lovely, soft and well defined.  And I just woke up and it still looks good- very wearable! I usually NEVER get 2nd day hair.  I used an Honest Beauty moisturizing shampoo and conditioner 3-4 days ago to try and reduce build-up.  Yesterday I used my As I am Coconut Co-wash, then their leave-in (a bit less than usual) and the diluted KCCC. My hair looks and feels great even on the 2nd day right now, and more importantly it's not stringy and still feels hydrated.  I may have accidentally stumbled onto some magic! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file