Can you benefit from the CG method if you wash your hair every day?

roguewaveroguewave Posts: 7Registered Users
Title says it all. I started the CG method in mid August and I have noticed a different in my 2B hair, but I do wash my hair every day, or at most every other. I've never felt comfortable with 2nd day hair (my scalp is oily but the rest of my hair is dry) Do you think I will still get all the benefits of going CG even if I wash every day? Everyone else is always talking about day 2 and 3 hair and mine would never keep definition long enough or feel nice enough to do that.
Modified CG
*Co-wash - As I Am Coconut co-wash
*Shampoo/Condish - Not Your Mother's Natural Curl Line - S2C
* Stylers: Rotate between Cantu Kids Styling Cream, SheaMoisture Curling Souffle, OGX Styling Cream, KCCC, DevaCurl Super Cream (just a dab used with other products for extra definition)
*Turbie Twist, then air dry

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,982Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    There's no reason to not wash every day if you need to. I've washed my hair daily since I hit puberty. I'm sometimes able to get second day hair, but it usually ends up smelly. As long as you're not using a harsh shampoo every day, you should wash as often as you feel comfortable.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Libby_Libby_ Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Novice
    The great thing about CG is that its unique to everyone :) if it works for you, rock it! if you're using sulfate and silicone free products, then you should be fine! Over time your hair could adjust to the change and you might be able to go longer, but starting out, i had to wash every day. Have you tried cowashing? It doesn't always work for oily hair,  you have to make sure you really massage our scalp to break up all of the oils. Also try not putting conditioner in your hair above ear level, that can help to moisturizer the ends where you need it but not make the roots oily and weighed down. Or just rinse all of the conditioner from the roots but leave some on the ends! Do what works for you!
    Curly Girl as of December 2015
    2B/C Waves
    normal/high porosity
    current hair routine: 
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture coconut and Habiscus
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Habiscus 
    Styling Cream: DevaCurl Styling cream
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel or
     LA Looks Gel (Yellow)
    plop 30 minutes
    air dry or diffuse on low heat and power
     Just got a "big chop" after going through a phase of occasionally heat styling again for a few months 
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ I co-washed or wet my hair every day for years when my hair was shorter and it never looked good the 2nd-3rd day.  And CG still works great for me now that I only wash 2 or 3 times a week. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had super oily hair and had to wash every day. A lady at a health food store helped me transition to not having to wash until day 5!! Total life and curl changer.

Basically you have to push the wash days further and further away, go just one more day, than two, than 3 etc until the head makes less oil. The transition period is pretty hard but your head really will stop making less oil the less it is washed. 

This is the single major thing that has been a total game changer for me and my curls have benefited from it so much that I am not way curlier and softer. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am NOW curlier and softer!! Sheesh
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    The method is very flexible and can be tailored to each curly! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I had super oily hair and had to wash every day. A lady at a health food store helped me transition to not having to wash until day 5!! Total life and curl changer.

Basically you have to push the wash days further and further away, go just one more day, than two, than 3 etc until the head makes less oil. The transition period is pretty hard but your head really will stop making less oil the less it is washed. 

This is the single major thing that has been a total game changer for me and my curls have benefited from it so much that I am not way curlier and softer. 

Savagegirl, I couldn't agree more. I used to wash every day, but not since finding this site. I am still experimenting with products to find what works best for my hair. Washing my hair less has a made a huge difference in its condition, this goes without saying.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file