Curly or Wavy? Opinions needed, please.

ldimiccoldimicco Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi there,

I have very fine med-high density hair (haven't figured out the porosity yet). 

I have been following CG for 2.5 weeks now and still can't figure out my hair pattern. Thoughts?

These pictures are with SM Olive Oil leave-in conditioner and LA Looks Sports Gel. By day 2, my hair falls limp and looks stringy.

Any and all advice welcome. Thank you so much!

Comments

• CurlyMeggySueCurlyMeggySue Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You definitely have some curls so I wouldn't say you just have "wavy hair" only. Probably a 2C/3A. You look curlier than just a 2C to me but not quite as curly as a 3A. However, you might just have 3A hair that is being weighed down or have a canopy layer (top layer of hair that is less curly than the bottom layer). That happens to me sometimes. I can't exactly tell by the photos. Could you post some more of the back of your head?
  • ldimiccoldimicco Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited December 2017
    You definitely have some curls so I wouldn't say you just have "wavy hair" only. Probably a 2C/3A. You look curlier than just a 2C to me but not quite as curly as a 3A. However, you might just have 3A hair that is being weighed down or have a canopy layer (top layer of hair that is less curly than the bottom layer). That happens to me sometimes. I can't exactly tell by the photos. Could you post some more of the back of your head?
    Thank you for your insight. Here is a picture from just a few minutes ago. I just finished diffusing and SOTC. Wish I knew what to do with the top of my head. It is a bit unruly. 
  • ldimiccoldimicco Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for your insights. My underlayer tends to not curl as much. Right now I need to figure out how to wear my hair at the crown of my head. My part naturally falls in the center, but it is prone to frizz and doesn’t look very good. 

These pics were taken today after diffusing and SOTC. 
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would say your hair is solid 3A, especially from that last pic from the back. Your hair is gorgeous!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with bemega and think your hair is 3A. It's beautiful.
    If your hair is drooping and stringy by day 2 maybe you can try not using a leave-in?
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if the SM leave-in is too heavy for your hair. Have you tried styling without it?

I would say that your hair is 3A.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    I just read the rest of your post asking for advice. I don't know if I have any. Honestly, I think your hair looks great in all of the photos you posted. I don't see a problem. Day 2 hair almost always doesn't look as good as day 1 hair...you know it isn't going to be the same. Can you post a picture of your "problem" hair?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I agree.... 3a. Your hair looks gorgeous to me!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MissGrangerMissGranger Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have mostly 3A hair (some 3B) and I basically never get 2nd day hair, haha. You are not alone!!
  • baeby_dollbaeby_doll Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Can I just start by saying your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the definition and shine, and a little frizz never hurt nobody! On the topic of texture, you're a 3a- the curly club! 

In relation to your first day hair compared to second day, try using lighter products or less gel. It's easier to apply more gel as you go than it is to take it off... Also, if you want more definition as opposed to frizz, try applying your products in the shower and plopping overnight! 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It is beautiful.  I don't use curl pattern to pick products, I have fine hair and that is more important for picking products.  It will also help if you know your porosity.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file