Conditioners for your hair after cowashing

CG_2ACG_2A Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
edited December 2017 in Hair Type 2
Hellloooo
I have type 2a/2b low porosity hair and I am a newbie to cg method.  I generally have a lot of scalp buildup and I am hoping the cg method will make my hair grow better allowing my scalp to breath better. I haven't still got the shampoos for low poo method before getting them I need to clarify some questions.
I would like to know after co washing do I need a leave in conditioner , deep conditioner  and a gel? are all three a must? How often does one co wash in a week? I shampoo my hair twice a week. So for the first time do I shampoo co wash and condition? and when I have to shampoo the second time in the same week can I do the same or just co wash will do?
I have heard where people just condition their hair and don't shampoo as much. In that case do I just cowash then condition the hair with a deep conditioner leave in and gel?

I would also like some suggestions with the products which has helped y'all.

Best Answer

• Kati.BrownKati.Brown Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    All of your questions are just something you're going to have to do trial and error with. I will say your hair type is most likely going to respond better to low poos, than cowashing most of the time.Also, a vibrating scalp brush has worked wonders on my hair growth, dandruff, and scalp health. So have scalp massages with oil.  Is your hair fine? Is it coarse? Is it damaged from heat or chemicals? Low porosity or high porosity? Each of these different elements of hair will determine which products will work best for you. You can easily look up to see how to figure out what type of hair you have and what products are best. I recommend a blog called the sciencey hair blog. She gives good info and a list of products that are recommended for your hair. 
    I have 2b,/ 2c coarse hair that is damaged from chemicals. I can cowash every other time I wash my hair, and I wash 3 times a week, deep conditioning after one of my shampoos. I always use a lightweight to regular moisture conditioner after I cowash, a heavier one if I shampoo, a leave in, a curl enhancing custard, and a hard hold gel. I diffuse on cool about half way and let air dry the rest of the way. The hard hold gel gets crunchy after dry so I scrunch out the crunch when its completely dry.
     I really like Jessicurl products right now. The gentle lather shampoo, aloeba conditioner, and spiralicious gel are all great products. Cheaper products I like are shea moisture fruit fusion shampoo and conditioner, my leave in is usually the lightweight conditioner I use, kinky curly curling custard, and aussie instant freeze gel. 

Answers

• CG_2ACG_2A Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you Kati. I have fine hair with low porosity. I guess I will check out that website and experiment a little.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that a lot of this is trial and error. When I first started taking care of my fine 2B hair, I co-washed twice a week (meaning I used no shampoo at all, only conditioner to wash my hair). Over time, my hair started to get limp and greasy, so I switched to a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo twice a week (these are typically called "low poo"). I think that co-washing was helpful in the beginning, since my hair was quite dry, but my hair quickly became overmoisturized and benefited from switching to shampoo.

As for leave-ins, they generally leave my hair weighed down, so I use one only in the very dry winter months, and when I do use a leave-in, I use only a tiny amount, like half a pea size. I view leave-in as a way to seal moisture in my hair in the winter.

Gel I do find to be very important. I think that gel does a great job at holding your curl pattern in place so that you get the tightest waves/curls possible. I find that my fine hair likes crunchy gels because they add texture once the wet look is scrunched out after the hair is dry.

I do occasionally deep condition in the dry winter months. Since my hair is low porosity, sometimes it is difficult for it to get the moisture into the hair shaft. I deep condition once every week or two in the winter. More than that, and my hair is limp and greasy. Some people with fine hair don't ever deep condition. For me, I find that my hair gets very dry in the winter and is not easily replenished by my usual conditioner application in the shower, because the tighly sealed cuticle is not letting the moisture in.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file