Are You Embracing or Running Away From Your Gray Hair?

Comments

• SojSoj Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm pretty much not noticing it except once in a great long while. I don't really look at myself in the mirror - I'm usually looking AT something specific, like my teeth or something if I do. But once in a great long while I'll notice the white in my hair and I'll be like "Huh. There's some more white than last time I noticed"

And then I forget about it.

So I'm not so much either/or "embracing" vs "running away" - as not really noticing it in the first place.
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Definitely embracing my silvers, have been for two years now, too many of them to do much else.
    I really do love the way they have come in.:love4:

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• HelloWorldHelloWorld Posts: 1Registered Users
    Definitely running. They are coarser and appear to curl differently, so they will literally stick out. I hope to start transitioning when I approach 40, but that will be a while. In the meantime, I am coloring it a very dark brown (almost black -- the color of my dad's hair when he had hair) with a fairly gentle dye because my friend is a stylist, and I can afford it when he does it :)
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was running but I never really thought about it. I was getting a trim and my hair dresser said you're really getting gray, you should get some highlights. Ok. Then later my current hairdresser said you're getting too gray we should do perm colors. I never gave either of these decisions a thought I just did it. Thinking about it now I probably would still do it as I was young and working in management at the start. My point is now I'm ready to embrace it but my husband (who never asks me anything like that) said he wasn't ready. I was ready to fight him and get highlights again and start growing it out. Demi color was a compromise I was willing to consider since my grays are now white and very resistant but still salt and pepper in mid-back crown area. It's only my first a application of Demi color but I do like how it lets the gray come through. I just feel like I never got to enjoy the silver so the area that I still have silver I think I want to enjoy. Besides the price and upkeep. I think I was really hating it because the white was so resistant and I thought that looked worse all the time and aged me more.
    So for now I'm going back in time with the demi and I feel like I'm working in reverse. I'll revisit it every 5 years though.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am desperately running away from my gray. My hair started going gray in my 20s and at that time I didn't like it, but I was afraid to color my hair. I had read about how bad the ppd that is in all black dye can be, and also my hair is very fine and tends towards low density, so I was afraid of causing severe or permanent damage to it.

But my hair continued to get more gray and at some point I couldn't deny it any more. So I started looking into alternative dyes and found out about henna/indigo and when I finally tried it, I couldn't believe I didn't try it sooner. The conditioning properties of henna makes my hair so nice and manageable, I really regret I hadn't been doing it for all those years. At this point I only do my roots every 2-3 weeks with the 2-step henndigo, but I still get a sort of gloss effect on all of my hair. Although henna is time-consuming and a lot of work, when I'm done I'm always really happy about my hair after I'm done.

At this point my hair is over 90% gray, but even if I got my color back (haha), I would continue doing some henna treatment just to get the conditioning benefit.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • RedHeadQueenRedHeadQueen Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm embracing my gray hair. Even though I'm very young in my early 20's everyone in my family has gray hair starting around 14 years old. I plan to color it Gunmetal Gray with Ion hair dye. Probably add blue or purple to give it a wolf effect like Wolf gray.
    I have light gray and white hairs.
    C/Mii, 3bc+4a , BSL, LPOROSITY
    Haircare Regimen All Linked
    Cleanser:Neutrogena T/Sal
    Low Poo:CON w/AO
    Conditioner:Hair 1
    Leave In:CHI Keratin Mist
    DT:Hair 1 Masque
    Treatments:Chi Silk Infusion,Hask Placenta Super Strength
    Protein:Nexxus Protein Complex
    Styling: 1NO Argan CC,Eco CO FS
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey curly/wavy peeps! I haven't been here in awhile - like three years and even longer before that. Nice to see some recognizable names from long ago! My avatar is probably from 2005 or so and my info is in desperate need of updating.

Having just turned 60, I'm seriously thinking about letting the gray come in. My sister, five years younger than me, let hers go and it's really very pretty. My "daughter of the heart" cosmetologist says I don't have enough gray to do it yet, but will help me to transition if I'm ready. Which I think I am, being that I'm getting tired of putting chemicals on it every two and half months or so.

My hair is already thin and periodically seems to get thinner. I don't know if stopping the highlighting will help or hurt that. I'm down to every eleven weeks or so between highlights (low lights, actually). I still love the dark look afterwards but it begins turning almost reddish a month before it's time to go again.

Definitely do NOT like the gray coming in amongst the reddish tones. I DO like when I look at the roots (like above my ear) and the gray is coming in mixed in with some of my natural dark hair that still comes in with it. The red, dark, and gray would drive me nuts just letting it grow out by itself.

Naturally, I'll talk to her about which direction to go, but wondering maybe what some of you long-time highlighters decided to do.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey curly/wavy peeps! I haven't been here in awhile - like three years and even longer before that. Nice to see some recognizable names from long ago! My avatar is probably from 2005 or so and my info is in desperate need of updating.

Having just turned 60, I'm seriously thinking about letting the gray come in. My sister, five years younger than me, let hers go and it's really very pretty. My "daughter of the heart" cosmetologist says I don't have enough gray to do it yet, but will help me to transition if I'm ready. Which I think I am, being that I'm getting tired of putting chemicals on it every two and half months or so.

My hair is already thin and periodically seems to get thinner. I don't know if stopping the highlighting will help or hurt that. I'm down to every eleven weeks or so between highlights (low lights, actually). I still love the dark look afterwards but it begins turning almost reddish a month before it's time to go again.

Definitely do NOT like the gray coming in amongst the reddish tones. I DO like when I look at the roots (like above my ear) and the gray is coming in mixed in with some of my natural dark hair that still comes in with it. The red, dark, and gray would drive me nuts just letting it grow out by itself.

Naturally, I'll talk to her about which direction to go, but wondering maybe what some of you long-time highlighters decided to do.

"don't have enough gray" to transition???????????/ this is the time to do it. you will get to have beautiful salt and pepper when enough gray comes in, now will make the transitioning easier. the more gray, the harder it gets. i was there.

also, what you said about your hair turning red, it is oxidizing and that would happen with my hair. not a good look. in fact, when i transitioned, i opted to avoid low ligthing because of that, i went cold turkey. never regretted it, just sorry i did not do it sooner.
    my sister had gorgeous salt and pepper when she transitioned.

if your cosmetologist is going to try to convince you not to do it, i'd find someone else. coloring hair is where they make money, so.... i was lucky in that both my colorist and stylist supported me in my transition. colorist had even given me good tips to help with the transition.

don't know if you saw my thread, but lorraine massey, the author of the book, 'the curly girl,' is releasing another book, 'silver hair,' in february. she is also transitioning her hair.

follow your instincts and transition now. if you need support tips, let us know.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,165Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The last few months before my scalp decided "no more!", I had been having a reddish colour put in my hair, I wish I had some words of wisdom/comfort for you but have to say, it wasn't pretty growing out. I had some highlights put in to soften the demarcation line which helped the transition, but then became very frustrating for me as they seemed to take forever to grow out, all the while getting paler and more orange. Have to say it was worth it in the end and echo what rbb said about it being a good time to do it. I was worried I didn't have enough grey but was actually surprised how much I did have, and was also surprised to see my natural very dark hair back again! It all blends pretty well and I've had a fair few compliments, which has been nice, especially when I was feeling a bit over the whole process.
    Go for it!
    3b in South Australia.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Ditto RBB. It will be much easier to transition while you have less grey hair!

Also, Happy 60th Birthday! I turned 60 this year too. Hard to believe I've been here at NC since I was in my 40's!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    -rbb: How interesting! Never thought about doing it while I’m not gray enough. The main reason I’ve ever low lighted it is to give it some texture and it does help make it look a little less thin. The top of my head is where it’s the thinnest and it can be frightening sometimes! Especially when it's wet. :cry:

Yes, I did see your thread about Lorraine’s new book coming out. My cosmetologist is my (former) stepdaughter and she does whatever I want, so that’s not an issue. Thanks so much for the advice!

-Starmie: Thank you! I’m not sure why it ends up turning reddish and it’s mainly on top that it does it. I’ve always hoped, when I was younger, that it might have a platinum streaked look (for lack of a better term) to it when I began going gray. I saw a gal on YT who is only in her early 40’s and she looks so much better with her mostly gray hair than with her head of dark hair, and she had a ton of compliments expressing the same thing. My daughter did the slow grow out with my sister and it took about a year. I think I’m stuck between doing that - spreading the low lights further and further apart - and just going cold turkey!

-Jeep: Thank you for the birthday wishes! I admit I still love my hair when it’s freshly low lighted, but I’m wondering if ditching the chemicals will help the thinness. I read an article before posting the other day that says it will actually make it look thinner. Gah! That alone has almost scared me into continuing to color! But, what else am I gonna do, I can't continue to color forever.

I know, I can’t believe I found NC in my 40’s, too! Once I figured out how to work my hair - or maybe vice versa lol - I drifted away from here. I still have stuff under my cabinet that I consider putting on the Swap Board, if that’s still here! lol
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,165Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I only had two lots of highlights, a half head and then a couple of months later about half as many. That was enough for me, I let it go after that so probably only one step removed from cold turkey. I have issues with thinning too and don't think it looks any thinner now it's grey than when it was dark.
    3b in South Australia.
  • elocutionelocution Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to strip the grey hair in the beginning but then I realised that if I'd proceed there would be no hair left in the end. Now I am 50 and there are not sooo many grey hair on my head - I think, I'll embrace the gray hair and I'm looking forward to the white hair. I love white hair. It even makes the people look younger again.
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Still embracing.  :)
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    When the website was recently redesigned, all of our old Likes disappeared. So just pretend that every comment and compliment on this thread had been Liked by me.
    ETA I went through the thread and re-liked everything so ignore this whole post! : ) 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Wow, this looks totally different from what it did in August! 

I'm still embracing! In September, I told my daughter I was just going to let it go. She's just putting a gloss on it to tone down the reddishness of the old lowlights every eleven weeks. Although I think after the next time in January - next month hashtag how in the world is 2017 almost over lol - I think I'll get it down to every six weeks or so as the gloss wears off really quick.

I also started taking Biotin (like 10,000 units) and I don't know if it's my imagination or not but I think maybe possibly hopefully it's beginning to look less thin. I hope!

So, still embracing the grey so far! 
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • curl goddesscurl goddess Posts: 220Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Still running.....
    3a long thick -botticelli hair when there is humidity
    2c wavy w/curls if there isnt.
    currently using Bioterra & KMF in winter
    Jessicurl styling in summer
    Natures Gate poo & condish
    Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!
  • FLsmidgetFLsmidget Posts: 30Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I was running but I turned 45 at the beginning of Jan and decided I was tired of running. When its time to update the roots Im going to do one last color back to my natural dark brown then I am going to embrace the grey and let my hair do its thing with no more color. 

2c fine, medium density, high porosity

Humid FL

Co Wash: Sauve Tropical Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Biolage HydraSource, SM JBC0
    Deep Conditioner: SM Manuka Honey, SM JBCO
    Leave In: SM JBCO, AG Fast Food Moisture 
    Stylers: CK, Deva Arc Angel, Eden Coconut Defining Cream, Cantu Curl Activator

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Still running. But also still really loving the effects of 2-step henndigo (and still detesting the production that it takes to do it. Grr!)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Good luck @FISmidget!
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Still embracing.  I wish it would hurry up and all turn white/silver already.  
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

I had a hair dream last night. Dreamt that I woke up in the morning with black, straight hair down to my waist. It was bizarre to say the least, I was upset and tried to wash it and wash it, but it stayed the same. It was the craziest dream, let me tell you. I think it must be because of my time here, discussing hair and growing and color, etc. Just before bed last night I was looking at hair friendly barrettes on line. Our minds sure can mess with us.

I am most definitely embracing my grays. <3

@ellaj hahaha!  My ex texted me today (we are still friends) saying that he dreamed last night that I had dark hair again and he didn't like it. Which is funny because I didn't have any grey hair yet when we were still together.  : )
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven’t colored for almost 2 years. No artificial color left. I’m wearing a bob now and have a mix of all virgin colors: white, light brown and ashy blonde. I love the way it’s changing naturally. It will be fun to watch the gradual lightening over the months/years. And I love not having to deal with the colors turning brassy and the dye drying out my hair. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Ok, cue the theme from Twilight Zone here, lol! Both of us with dark hair? So strange.

@2poodles Sounds so pretty! 
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Embracing. (I need to change my avatar, lol, I've grown it all out since then.) I cannot believe how much nicer my hair is since I stopped coloring it- softer, shinier, bouncier and not a split end in sight.

My MIL, who still colors her hair dark brown, was saying that her hairstylist wants to start adding highlights because "older skin needs lighter pieces to add a glow to it that age takes away" and how that's going to add $100 to her monthly coloring charge. Without thinking, I said, "Hey, it's great that Mother Nature is doing that for me free of charge!" My MIL now has 4" of grown out roots. She hasn't colored her hair since then.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    I love that story @curlyamaryllis!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Embracing. (I need to change my avatar, lol, I've grown it all out since then.) I cannot believe how much nicer my hair is since I stopped coloring it- softer, shinier, bouncier and not a split end in sight.

My MIL, who still colors her hair dark brown, was saying that her hairstylist wants to start adding highlights because "older skin needs lighter pieces to add a glow to it that age takes away" and how that's going to add $100 to her monthly coloring charge. Without thinking, I said, "Hey, it's great that Mother Nature is doing that for me free of charge!" My MIL now has 4" of grown out roots. She hasn't colored her hair since then.
    that is the main reason i always knew i would stop coloring -- looking at older women who colored their hair, how bad it made their skin look.  (and i personally believe it also detracts from younger women, that i can spot any woman who colors her hair immediately, and if she is standing with women who don't, they look prettier, healtheir, younger....)   
    and other benefits of not coloring -- the time consumed by it, the hideous roots, the money....    would i prefer having my natural darker color back, of course, but this is what i have and i do love it, especially with the curls!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rbb said:

that is the main reason i always knew i would stop coloring -- looking at older women who colored their hair, how bad it made their skin look.  (and i personally believe it also detracts from younger women, that i can spot any woman who colors her hair immediately, and if she is standing with women who don't, they look prettier, healtheir, younger....)   
    and other benefits of not coloring -- the time consumed by it, the hideous roots, the money....    would i prefer having my natural darker color back, of course, but this is what i have and i do love it, especially with the curls!
    I feel like age doesn't really take away glow, tbh. I used to work with a woman who retired at 83. She had her hair dyed a level 9 ash blonde every 3 weeks like clockwork. (She kept her hair very short.) She visited 6 months after retiring and had grown out her natural, shimmery white in that time. She looked so good! She just glowed, I don't know how else to describe it. Level 9 is a really light blonde, so it's not even like she was dying her hair dark.

Personally, I'm pretty excited about my greys. They're much coarser than my regular hair, so I'm hoping I'll gain volume as I lose color. 
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file