My gray hair doesn't curl up :(

irenejazzirenejazz Posts: 11Registered Users
Hello all,

I love my curly hair and I have embraced this new journey to graying.
I'm 37 years old and I have always had a tight 3B pattern with cork shape curls. Since my gray hair has started to grow I noticed that it does not curl up. Most of it is lightly wavy... which is a problem to me because it doesn't blend with the rest of my dark hair that's still curly. Matter of fact, all the gray hairs stick out not visually, but literally!
What can I do?
Will my hair eventually lose all its original pattern?

Help if you can :cry:

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My curls seem looser to me now I'm grey, but I've also had some considerable thinning in recent years so I'm not sure if that's contributing to making it look looser. When I look at the dark hair I still have (underneath at the back of my head) it's even looser than the grey (and much less frizzy!). I have no idea what's going on, I think we just have to watch and wait.
    3b in South Australia.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    for me, the gray needed more moisture, lots more moisture. and with that on a daily basis, it is even curlier. but not overall. the frustrating part is that while my hair is mostly 3a, now lots of crown hair is 3b, but the bottom is 2c....... it used to be the opposite, the top wavy. it was much, much easier to style that way.

but try more moisture and some protein treatments.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    With my fine, silver curls I find that I need much less product, too much will weigh down the curls. Many times I simply wash with a gentle shampoo and forgo the conditioner. Once my hair is dry I add a shine serum, sparingly. 

I read that silver/gray hair may be a whole new experience for some of us, in that it can be a completely different texture from our naturally pigmented hair. If this is the case then there just might be a whole new learning curve when it comes to dealing with your hair. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Since going grey, my hair seems more 3A than the 3B it used to be. But it's also quite long now so I think the weight has something to do with it. And if I don't use gel, it is less curly and less defined. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I agree, jeepcurlygurl. I cut to a longish pixie last spring and suddenly I had a new head of hair when it came to the curls. Mostly 3a curls appeared. I am growing once again, maybe back to shoulder, so I expect to see the 3a curls relax into 2c and 2b as I gain length.

How long is your hair now? 

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ It is about mid-back length when dry.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    ^ It is about mid-back length when dry.
    I consider mid-back length to be very long, it must look quite a bit longer when wet or straightened.

The longest I have had my own hair, during adulthood, is right around shoulder or a bit past. This time around I am going to resist the urge to cut, especially now that I am two years post dye. Long, silver hair looks beautiful when it is taken care of, I want to experience it for myself.

^ Here are some pics I took today for my hair progress thread (which is in my Signature). Excuse the terrible lighting and dirty mirrors. And my hair is much more grey than it looks here. 
    ^ Here are some pics I took today for my hair progress thread (which is in my Signature). Excuse the terrible lighting and dirty mirrors. And my hair is much more grey than it looks here. 
    You have beautiful, curly hair, jeepcurlygurl and I am so envious of your length and your shade of silver. I am fairly new to Pinterest, but I have created a board of my own and I enjoy browsing the silver hair photos. Your hair photos have showed up many times, or else there is someone else who also has the same gorgeous curls. Cute little kitty, too. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file