What really causes frizz?

Hey, everyone! So I've been battling with my frizz ever since I decided to embrace my wavy 2b/2c hair a few months ago. So far, I'm pretty happy with the overall look of my natural hair, but I still haven't found a reason for why my hair is prone to so much frizz. I was always under the impression that frizz was more common in dry, coarse hair types, but my hair is quite fine and naturally pretty greasy.

The ends of my hair look great - my waves are bouncy, shiny, and soft - but on the top of my hair (not directly on top, but more on the sides) I seem to have this stubborn layer of frizz. I've tried all kinds of oils, creams, serums, heat protectants etc., but all they do is make the top of my hair appear even greasier than it already is. I tried to diffuse my hair using the pixie curl method, as I've heard that's the best way to diffuse without any frizz, but it doesn't make a difference. I've even tried scrunching after a shower with my bare hands instead of a t-shirt, just in case the fabric was too harsh for my hair, but I still get the same results.

Am I just going to have to accept that my hair is naturally frizzy, and there's nothing I can do about it? I know curly girls are often encouraged to embrace their frizz for the sake of volume, but my hair is frizzy and limp, which really isn't a good look. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated... Thank you :)

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know - sometimes I think frizz is just one of those things like mosquitos that you just keep swatting but you never really win! I guess some people eliminate frizz - I'm not one of them.

One thing you may want to try is a conditioner with some protein in it. Of course, it could make it worse. I wish I could be more helpful! If you want to try something with protein, Curl Junkie makes a good one that is moisturizing as well as strengthening. I think it's called Beauticurls.

Let us know if you solve this problem. Good luck.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,170 Curl Virtuoso
    I've never been able to solve the problem of frizz, tried everything I've ever seen suggested and nothing has really worked. I've come to some level of acceptance (I'm 54, gotta choose my battles!) but it makes me never really happy with the way my hair looks. My hair's thinned as I've got older so I do get that bit of extra, welcome, volume that the frizz provides, but it's never a good look in my book.
    Sorry I have nothing positive to contribute, but unfortunately I do think some people are just stuck with it however healthy their hair is.
    3b in South Australia.
    Oh, one thing that does help me is to leave my hair to air dry for an hour or so then diffuse dry using a sock diffuser. Once it's properly dry I just gently squeeze my hair to get the crunch out. I never scrunch, wet or dry, as that just makes the frizz worse.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Fine hair can have just as much frizz as coarse hair. I have extremely fine hair and have frizz. I haven't figured out how to eliminate it either. I just accept it as part of having wavy hair.

If your hair is limp and frizzy, you might want to try clarifying. You could have build-up.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    ^Agree - my hair's in no way coarse.
    3b in South Australia.
  • andreajones188andreajones188 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 136 Curl Connoisseur

When your hair is damaged or dry, the cuticle absorbs the moisture in the air, causing it to swell up and create frizz.The type of brush you use to detangle your locks could actually be causing even more damage. Certain types of hair brushes are too rough on wet hair, which is already extremely prone to breakage.Hair serums work wonders for frizzy hair because they help realign hair fibers for a super smooth look. It can be difficult to find the right serum that reduces frizz without leaving hair looking greasy, with that sticky feel. That’s where our Biphasic Infusion steps in. This oil-free serum, also known as Pai-Shau’s liquid gold, is the key to healthy, nourished, and hydrated locks. With the help of an advanced binary technology, the Biphasic Infusion drives our Signature Tea Complex deep inside the cuticle to nourish the hair's structure and attract moisture, keeping frizziness at bay.

• gerrysmithergerrysmither Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte

When your hair is damaged or dry, the cuticle absorbs the moisture in the air, causing it to swell up and create frizz.The type of brush you use to detangle your locks could actually be causing even more damage. I also get it from baby gifts israel. Certain types of hair brushes are too rough on wet hair, which is already extremely prone to breakage.Hair serums work wonders for frizzy hair because they help realign hair fibers for a super smooth look. It can be difficult to find the right serum that reduces frizz without leaving hair looking greasy, with that sticky feel. That’s where our Biphasic Infusion steps in. This oil-free serum, also known as Pai-Shau’s liquid gold, is the key to healthy, nourished, and hydrated locks. With the help of an advanced binary technology, the Biphasic Infusion drives our Signature Tea Complex deep inside the cuticle to nourish the hair's structure and attract moisture, keeping frizziness at bay.

great tips. Thanks for that much explanation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file