DevaCurl cut or just trim the bottom?

SCARLETROSESCARLETROSE Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Suggestions on haircut/style, please. Wavy/Curly. Fine hair. 2C and 3A I think. I want to keep it long. DevaCurl cut or just trim the bottom?

I Haven't had it cut since the end of September. Help!
I want to get my hair trimmed and a better style. I used to have long layers. My hair is fine, wavy and parts curly; not sure on specific curl type..maybe a combination of 2C and 3A?? My hair has always been cut wet, which may be the problem. I always diffuse my hair and use DevaCurl products. A stylist used thinning shears on the crown area in December 2016, and it was a disaster! Trying to let it grow out. I now have two layers...I have a weird top layer that hits the back bottom of my crown and the entire rest of my hair is the long length. Got hair trimmed into a U shape by a new stylist in April 2016, also trimmed the thinned layer a bit, ugh. Another trim September 2016. Looking for suggestions on how to fix this mess. Hair around the U cut sides and bottom is scraggly and thin, but I like the general shape. I want to keep it as long as possible. Yet I want nice curls, not these scragglies. Also wondering if I should just get the bottom layer and the bottom of my hair trimmed and leave the top alone.Wondering if I should try a Devacurl Cut or get a regular trim for now? Any photos of cut ideas or stylist recommendations?

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i would search and search and search and research to find a good stylist who does dry cuts and understands curly hair.

when you do, have a consult before a cut to see what he/she recommends. it is always best to stop curlies on the street/store/wherever if you admire their hair and ask who cuts their hair.

until you find someone you really trust, i'd do a trim on the ends as it does seem like you have two different layers. again, even with the trim, someone you trust to just do a trim, specify exactly how much you want off, and even that should be cut dry as it will shrink up.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • SCARLETROSESCARLETROSE Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    ]Researching quite a bit. Saw Cally's Curls & Company referred here, but I see mixed reviews. I was definitely thinking dry cut, probably just the ends for now then maybe progressing to the DevaCurl cut when I'm comfortable with that stylist and if it's right for me. I included this other picture with my hair loosely combed out with product still in after day 2 hair just to show the shape.
    DevaCurl NoPoo Original, DevaCurl One Condition Original, DevaCurl SuperCream Coconut Curl Styler first day photo, 2nd day added Light Defining Gel.

a3a871e5-6df8-4181-9d5f-c4725eeb8c5f.jpg

298e5590-37f5-4ef7-bb4b-54cb82727016.jpg
    you definitely have some good curl formation, i'm guessing with the right cut and products it'll be 3a.

fyi -- deva products dried out my hair. you might want to look around for other products.
    and having just the bottom trimmed for now will be a big help.
    it's 50% the cut, 50% the products.

you have fine hair, have you done a protein treatment? that will help with retaining moisture and with curl formation.

I haven't done a protein treatment yet. Been using just the DevaCurl products, don't know what else to try. I'm thinking of maybe chopping off that whole lower bottom straight section, maybe straight across. Your hair looks amazing, very moisturized, soft and springy! : )
    thanks! it took some trial and error to find what my hair likes.

fine hair needs protein, i think you will see a big difference. there are many treatments out there, and some homemade stuff. my hair loves curl junkie repair me for protein. what i love about is that it is ready to uise in the bottle, you can use as little or as much as you want, and you do not do a conditioning treatment after as it has the perfect balance of moisture and protein.and while it is pricey, it lasts a very long time, so not pricey in the long run.

if you use a different protein treatment you have to do a deep conditioning afterwards.

• curladdycurladdy Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw a big difference with reliable results when I quit using Deva Curl. They have too much glycerin for me- it just made my hair puffy or lose its curl after a few hours. Now I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and Kinky Curly Knot Today Conditioner. For styling, just a little KC Curling Custard. Huge improvement and all of those products are relatively affordable.

I second getting a trim. I have always bit the bullet and gone for the Deva cut as soon as I decide to attempt curly styling again. My experience is that it takes at least a month for the deva cut to look good- like they cut it anticipating how it will grow in. Admittedly, my hair has always been above chin length when they finish cutting- nothing like your length.
    Fine and low density 2C whirly wavy, hoping to push into 3A with Curly Girl Method - recommitted to curly girl 2017

Current Products (Experimenting Always)
    Wash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle or Devacurl Delight Low Poo
    Condish: Devacurl Delight One Condition or KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream (looking for something similar without glycerin)... playing with minuscule amounts of Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Not a fan of gels, but trying: KCCC and Miss Jessie's Jelly Curls
  • curladdycurladdy Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw a big difference with reliable results when I quit using Deva Curl. They have too much glycerin for me- it just made my hair puffy or lose its curl after a few hours. Now I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and Kinky Curly Knot Today Conditioner. For styling, just a little KC Curling Custard. Huge improvement and all of those products are relatively affordable.

I second getting a trim. I have always bit the bullet and gone for the Deva cut as soon as I decide to attempt curly styling again. My experience is that it takes at least a month for the deva cut to look good- like they cut it anticipating how it will grow in. Admittedly, my hair has always been above chin length when they finish cutting- nothing like your length.
    Fine and low density 2C whirly wavy, hoping to push into 3A with Curly Girl Method - recommitted to curly girl 2017

Current Products (Experimenting Always)
    Wash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle or Devacurl Delight Low Poo
    Condish: Devacurl Delight One Condition or KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream (looking for something similar without glycerin)... playing with minuscule amounts of Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Not a fan of gels, but trying: KCCC and Miss Jessie's Jelly Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file