Polyquat buildup

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I recently purchased a couple of products that have polyquats (polyquats 7, 10, 11, and 16). I know that some people get build-up with polyquats. Is the build-up more of a concern for those who co-wash as opposed to low-poo? I low-poo twice a week and am wondering if that is good enough to nip any build-up in the bud or if I need to be on the lookout for really stubborn build-up and clarify with a sulfate more often.
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I recently purchased a couple of products that have polyquats (polyquats 7, 10, 11, and 16). I know that some people get build-up with polyquats. Is the build-up more of a concern for those who co-wash as opposed to low-poo? I low-poo twice a week and am wondering if that is good enough to nip any build-up in the bud or if I need to be on the lookout for really stubborn build-up and clarify with a sulfate more often.

hi, :) .

Polyquats in any stylers give me horrible crunchy feeling. unless low-poo them out at end of day.
    i think if low-poo using doesn't have them too, it should be alright :) .
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »

That seems like enough to keep build up at bay, in my opinion! I think some build up worse than others, right? I haven't looked into this issue for a while now.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I guess I will find out in time, ha ha! So far, at least one of the products has been working extremely well: Aveda's flaxseed and aloe gel. It was really watery in the bottle, but once you get it in your hands, you can feel that it has some oomph to it. It has copolymers for hold, as well as a water-soluble silicone. I put it on my hair after washing two days ago, and I had probably my best hair day ever! It is very lightweight but has a very hard hold.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think they build up more the more damaged your hair is? I low poo instead of cowashing, but I find I need a sulfate shampoo maybe once a month.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    Hmm, curlyamaryllis, that makes sense. I think I read somewhere that polyquats bind to the hair kind of like proteins rather than like silicones. My hair is quite healthy, so maybe they will just sit on top and wash out with the low poo. I've been using a clarifying poo once a month also, so I'll just stick to that routine.
    I have been having problems with my hair being flat and frizzy and stringy since using the products with the polyquats. One of the products also has a water-soluble silicone--not sure if that is affecting things. Anyway, I asked the gal who writes the Science-y Hair Blog about polyquat buildup and whether it is very tenacious. She directed me to this blog entry: Science-y Hair Blog: Shampoos Which Remove: Product Build-Up. In short, polyquat buildup can be nasty, because polyquats bond to the hair via an electric charge. Sulfates do not even necessarily get rid of the buildup. She said C 14-16 olefin sulfonate is the best bet for removing polyquat buildup. I'm going to try clarifying with Kinky Curly Come Clean and hope that fixes my hair!
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kinkly Curly Come Clean is fantastic for removing absolutely everything (low po here, everything clings) but be sure to DC afterwards... it can leave the hair quite stiff.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
    I did two rounds of KCCC, and my hair was much improved...but not back to normal. I realize now that I actually have had build-up for a while, even before trying these products, because after I used KCCC, my hairsprays started working again! (They hadn't worked for weeks.) I clarified next wash day again, this time with a sulfate and then KCCC again, on the ends, because I felt they were still icky. Now my hair feels normal! I did do a DC after the KCCC, because it really did strip everything off. I think I could have gotten by with doing a bit of a protein treatment too...the hair just seemed overwashed and limp. What a soap opera...

This has shown me that my hair really is prone to build-up, and I need to be more vigilant about clarifying. I think that my regular conditioner builds up on my hair--it has that guar hydroxypropywhatchamacallit in it, which is supposed ot have a high potential for buildup. It acts like a polyquat (or maybe is a polyquat?). I may have to look for another RO. It never ends, argh.
    Double post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file