I have a question for the Black girls...

havendaisybhavendaisyb Posts: 5Registered Users
Just yesterday I discovered this website, and consequently I am obsessed! I've already learned so much about how to better manage my hair, but as a conscious white girl, I am unsure if I should try certain hairstyles that are traditionally Black. Do you think it would be okay for me to manage my hair with twist outs or Bantu knot outs so long as I remove them before leaving the house or is that still deemed as cultural appropriation? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Much love,
Haven

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cultural appropriation is when someone takes something, discards the origin like a candy wrapper, and acts like they own it. I.E. "Boxer Braids" It does not sound like that is what you are trying to do.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you trolling?

"When we want to have our own style of living, it is nobody's business but ours. What we do in private is our private business."

Eartha Kitt
  • havendaisybhavendaisyb Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you so much!!
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't be offended plus I don't think anyone would even know that you had in twists or bantus if you removed them. The problem occurs when people don't acknowledge what culture it came from. Go for it.
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,171Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not black but assuming that you are honestly asking the question and not trolling, it seems to me that everyone can wear their hair any way they like, or use any products they like. I'm Jewish and if you are not Jewish but make some terrific matzoh ball soup - eat and enjoy!

I'm trying to say IMHO nobody owns a culture. Share and appreciate!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • havendaisybhavendaisyb Posts: 5Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I'm not black but assuming that you are honestly asking the question and not trolling, it seems to me that everyone can wear their hair any way they like, or use any products they like. I'm Jewish and if you are not Jewish but make some terrific matzoh ball soup - eat and enjoy!

I'm trying to say IMHO nobody owns a culture. Share and appreciate!
    Thank you, but could you maybe give me some pointers as to how I might have sounded like a troll? That was NOT my intention and I'd like to avoid it in the future. I'm honestly just trying to figure out how not to make my 2nd and 3rd day hair look like a complete disaster.
    Sorry - double post
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    I wish I could answer your question but I'm not sure. I think the hesitation I felt about your question was that it seemed so innocent but it was verging on very sensitive issues.

Sometimes a person can ask a question and it sounds very innocent but the questioner is actually being sly and has a hidden agenda like wanting to stir up trouble. After you've read up on this website, i think you'll understand that we're kind of all in this together, all curly and curlier! and asking questions specifically to one racial or ethnic category may make people think you are trying to cause divisions. It may help avoid the appearance of trolling if instead of asking questions of any particular ethnic group you ask questions generally or based on your hair type or texture. You'll likely get more answers that way too!

I wouldn't worry about it anymore. You have enough to do just learning what works best for your hair. :thumright: Good luck and I hope you find methods that work well for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file