Fertility monitor for post partum family planning?

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
I have only ever used FAM (charting temps and recording cervical fluid) for birth control, and for pregnancy achievement (I also used a couple of ovulation tests to get pregnant.) I had heard good things about the Clear Blue Easy fertility monitor and had planned to get that when we started trying to conceive, but it happened so fast, I never got a chance to buy it!

So now I am looking ahead to the spacing of my next (hopeful) pregnancy, and I don't think I want to get pregnant again until maybe the spring/summer of 2009. I know breast feeding may or may not work for a while, but I certainly won't be doing it for 2 years. So, I need to practise birth control. I don't believe in hormonal or barrier methods, but I have been told and read that temping is hard with a baby and the interrupted sleep that happens. I can use cervical fluid, but I am hesitant to trust just that as mine tends to vary from month to month. Ovulation tests don't identify the full fertility window so that wouldn't be good either. My understanding of a fertility monitor is that it tells you where your fertility is every day based on saliva - for those that have used it, is that correct? It doesn't matter how you slept?

Do you think this would be a good replacement for temping to let me know when my safe days are? Or any other natural suggestions? Thanks!
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Amneris, I have the fertility monitor and I'm pretty sure it says it should not be used to avoid pregnancy. It should be used only to try to conceive. Don't quote me, though. :wink: Give them a call just to make sure.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I think that's the "official" word on all natural family planning, medussa, even though the evidence shows that it IS effective.

A question about the fertility monitor... how does it work? Does it tell you daily if you are fertile or not? Are there different "levels" of fertility? How do you use it?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    A question about the fertility monitor... how does it work? Does it tell you daily if you are fertile or not? Are there different "levels" of fertility? How do you use it?

There's low, high and peak fertility.

The monitor learns your cycles. So, let's say it starts asking you to test on day 7 of your cycle, you might get 4-5 days of low fertility, followed by 3-4 days of high fertility and then two days of peak fertility (it has detected your LH surge). I guess in theory, you would need to abstain on all of your high and peak days. There have been times (not often), where I went from low to peak, overnight. That would be my only concern.

As you know, you have to wait until day one of your period, to set the monitor. There are 30 sticks per box, which work out to 10 sticks per month, if you're regular. And the boxes retail for anywhere from $30-$50US. They sell them on Ebay, along with the monitors.
    So you pee on the sticks in the morning? They're like pregnancy tests?

The monitor and the sticks are kind of expensive, so I only want to get one if it's going to be useful.

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    So you pee on the sticks in the morning? They're like pregnancy tests?

The monitor and the sticks are kind of expensive, so I only want to get one if it's going to be useful.

Yes, you pee on them every morning during a 6 hour window (which you choose). It is a very expensive way to keep track of your fertility, IMHO. Especially when used to avoid conception. People trying to get pregnant might be successful in a few cycles, bringing the cost down. But couples who are trying to avoid pregnancy, will be using the monitor for longer than that, I'd imagine.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    From the time I had B until I decided to get pregnant again, I charted to keep from getting pregnant. At the time I figured that it was good enough for the time being. If I DID get pregnant it wouldn't be the end of the world, since I was going to have another child at some point - but it worked, and I didn't get pregnant until we were ready. I DID have a scare 9 months postpartum, but I think that could have been due to a shift in hormones.

THIS time however, I'm not relying on that method. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to get pregnant any time soon, so I'm going to try the Mirena IUD.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    I think I'm going with the cervical cap or diaphragm. I don't think Amneris is using artificial methods of birth control.

Amneris, you might also want to check out Ovusoft.com to see how you can make postpartum charting work for you.

ETA: I just reread your OP and realized you were talking about the FM that tests your saliva. I don't know anything about that one, perhaps it's a less expensive way to test every month.
  • DelmaDelma Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    http://www.maybemom.com/index.html

This is the one that I want

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:
    I think I'm going with the cervical cap or diaphragm. I don't think Amneris is using artificial methods of birth control.

Amneris, you might also want to check out Ovusoft.com to see how you can make postpartum charting work for you.

ETA: I just reread your OP and realized you were talking about the FM that tests your saliva. I don't know anything about that one, perhaps it's a less expensive way to test every month.

The saliva tests are simple, and inexpensive, but they didn't really work for me. You basically spit onto this little microscope and then look through it, if the saliva looks like little crystals (not bubbly) it's fertile, or something. I tried it only for a short time, as it wasn't working for me. It's pretty inexpensive though in comparison to the pee on a stick fertility monitors.

The ONLY thing that ever worked for me was temp and CM.
    :rambo:
    Sounds like I may just need to make charting work for us somehow.

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file