help me get defined curls and less frizz

SamcoSamco Posts: 2Registered Users
I just started the CG Method. I use As I am coconut co wash, follow up with Curl Keeper then Eco style gel. I just started this yesterday. I used trader joe's tea tree shampoo to clarify the first day then today used the As I Am. My hair is still really frizzy. I have 2A/ 2B hair on top but my hair tends to make ringlets underneath. I have really thick, porous hair thats always dry. Today though after the co wash my hair was so soft, i was actually able to comb it when it was wet...can't even remember the last time i was ever able to do that. I do have AG re coil and Fast food that i used before i started CG. I liked the fast food but the re coil seems to make my hair greasy feeling. So my question is, how do i stop the frizz and better define my curls? I've been wearing it curly now for 4 years but no products ever really worked. I used moose and it was OK but made my hair crunchy so i was hoping the gel would help. I think a cream would weigh my hair down too much so maybe an oil?Look at my DP for a good idea of what my hair looks like right now. I think once i master how to use curl keeper it will get better but i do need help with the frizz. Its winter here in WI so im not sure what i will do when its hot and humid. Just for reference, i washed my hair at 6am and it didn't get 100% dry until 12pm I have really thick hair in the back. I want a product that will help shape my curls like mousse does.

so i should add i did a protein treatment earlier in the week and my hair LOVED it. Granted i was still using harsh hair products.

Comments

• CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
    Samco wrote: »
    I just started the CG Method. I use As I am coconut co wash, follow up with Curl Keeper then Eco style gel. I just started this yesterday. I used trader joe's tea tree shampoo to clarify the first day then today used the As I Am. My hair is still really frizzy. I have 2A/ 2B hair on top but my hair tends to make ringlets underneath. I have really thick, porous hair thats always dry. Today though after the co wash my hair was so soft, i was actually able to comb it when it was wet...can't even remember the last time i was ever able to do that. I do have AG re coil and Fast food that i used before i started CG. I liked the fast food but the re coil seems to make my hair greasy feeling. So my question is, how do i stop the frizz and better define my curls? I've been wearing it curly now for 4 years but no products ever really worked. I used moose and it was OK but made my hair crunchy so i was hoping the gel would help. I think a cream would weigh my hair down too much so maybe an oil?Look at my DP for a good idea of what my hair looks like right now. I think once i master how to use curl keeper it will get better but i do need help with the frizz. Its winter here in WI so im not sure what i will do when its hot and humid. Just for reference, i washed my hair at 6am and it didn't get 100% dry until 12pm I have really thick hair in the back. I want a product that will help shape my curls like mousse does.

so i should add i did a protein treatment earlier in the week and my hair LOVED it. Granted i was still using harsh hair products.

Hi! Sounds like your hair is fairly similar to mine. :) I actually wrote a blogpost about how I always wash & style my hair, perhaps you'll find it helpful: Carefree Curls: How to wash/style wavy hair

Feel free to explore the rest of the blog as well.. ;) I think if you wash your hair with really cold water at the end of a shower it'll really help with curl formation and frizz control. Cold water helps close the cuticles & helps with shine as well :)

Personally, my hair hated the as I am cowash, but I think my hair just doesn't like castor oil (didn't realize it at the time). Finding products that work is different for every person, so you just kind of have to go through trial and error until you find stuff that you like.

Just to give you some ideas, some products that my hair like include DevaCurl's one condition, Jessicurl's spiralicious styling gel (love this stuff! It can weigh down if you overuse it, but if you use just enough it looks great), and SheaMoisture's fruit fusion shampoo.
    Those are my favorite products lately. ;)

By the way, crunchy hair from products shouldn't be too much of a bother. It should scrunch right out once it's fully dry. Also, your hair will dry a lot quicker if you plop it for a few minutes and then diffuse it. :)

Hope I helped!
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,379Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would try an oil pre-poo. Take a few drops of oil (many people use coconut, but if your hair gets crispy from coconut oil, you can try sunflower) and rub them in your palms and distribute them in your dry hair several hours before your next wash. The oil should penetrate the hair cuticle, which should help it become less frizzy and more resistant to water. You don't need a lot; I would start with a small amount first to see how your hair reacts. Some people can wash out the oil with co-washing, but others use a low poo (a poo without sulfates).

Congratulations on going CG!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I would try an oil pre-poo. Take a few drops of oil (many people use coconut, but if your hair gets crispy from coconut oil, you can try sunflower) and rub them in your palms and distribute them in your dry hair several hours before your next wash. The oil should penetrate the hair cuticle, which should help it become less frizzy and more resistant to water. You don't need a lot; I would start with a small amount first to see how your hair reacts. Some people can wash out the oil with co-washing, but others use a low poo (a poo without sulfates).

Congratulations on going CG!

+1 to this, I do a pre-poo with oil every now-and-then when my hair feels dry. I like to use a combo of coconut and Argan oil, but you can use a lot of different oils :)
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel

Leave a Comment