Hair help, bad haircut... AGAIN.

sixelamysixelamy Curl NovicePosts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
So I got my hair cut last week and I told the stylist that I wanted Kaley Cuoco's haircut -
ixejqlL.jpg

Yeah. My hair looks NOTHING like that! -
mVm5Y5N.jpg?2

She gave me face framing layers, which I didn't ask for. I didn't know that she did it until it was already cut. My hair HATES face framing layers!! You can't see it in the picture, but the front looks like I have shelf of hair now. I f&*#ing hate it!

So now I'm left with the predicament where she is going to fix my hair. Do I leave it this length and just texturize it to minimize the shelf? Or do I chop it into something like this? -
q9vTEEy.jpg?1

My curls are gone anyway. Had she cut it like Kaley's and left the front long, I would've been able to get some sort of curl or wave going after playing with it. But my stupid shelf gives me the stupidest curls/waves ever in existence.

The only thing stopping me from chopping it all off is the fact that I will grow it out once it starts getting cold for winter. I hate the pixie transition into long hair, and I feel like that's exactly where I am right now. I don't feel like I just got my hair cut, I feel like I'm growing out a bad cut. It's really irritating.

I don't know what to do :( I don't want to have to straighten my hair everyday like I have to with this stupid cut. In 2 months it will be grown out a bit to where it might do some curl again, but I go on vacation to a very humid and hot place on a lake, which I just don't want to deal with it. The flat iron look won't even last and I'll get stupid shelf wave again. I just wanna scream.
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally, I think your hair looks really cute. You've got the "right kind of facial structure" to be able to pull that off (that would not look good on me). Also, it looks like you've got a cut that looks good both curly and straight. I'll bet you'll really like the cut once you're used to it. I think it looks fantastic.

P.S. If you want "straight" you might try simply blow-drying it completely upside down. I used to do that quite a bit and it worked well and kept the body in my hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • claudine191claudine191 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is a styling situation. Do you know how to create "bends" in your hair with a straightening (flat) iron? Also, you should part on the side — that will give you some immediate pizzazz.

I'd love to get my hands on it and fix you all up.
  • rbbrbb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with parting it on the side.
    i'd work with it before cutting into a pixie -- they are sooooo hard to grow out.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I agree with Angela. It looks cute! If you want to style it straight, I also agree with her advice to try blow drying it upside down. That's what I ended up doing all last winter after getting a bad haircut (of course, I didn't know I had wave back then).
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience--know firsthand how devastating it is. And it may not be what you want to hear right now, but I still think your hair looks good. I agree that working with it might be better than going full out pixie. You'd have to wait so much longer to get the curl back. When my last haircut went wrong and it was much shorter than I wanted, within a month the longer length was back! I still have funky short pieces that can't clump or curl, but it's much better now and I'm glad I didn't go shorter to fix it. Your hair also might start curling better within a week…. it needs to adjust (every time I get my hair cut it needs a week to work itself out).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sixelamysixelamy Curl Novice Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks for trying to make me feel better about that cut, but it was truly a bad haircut. I ended up going to my old stylist of like 15 years... My mom had an appt she told me about 30 mins beforehand. I went in to talk with her about cuts and she agreed it was a horrible cut. That picture really didn't show it, but I literally had a shelf, it was like my hair was split into 2 different haircuts. I ended up getting an asymmetrical pixie. I tried parting my hair over farther with that other cut, but it didn't look good at all with the awful layer she put in. Blow drying it didn't make it straight, it was very puffy and just awful. Definitely was not a styling issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App
    I'm pretty happy with it. Very little maintenance :). Lays a lot better and doesn't do funky things. Glad I trusted my instinct.
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Thanks for trying to make me feel better about that cut, but it was truly a bad haircut. I ended up going to my old stylist of like 15 years... My mom had an appt she told me about 30 mins beforehand. I went in to talk with her about cuts and she agreed it was a horrible cut. That picture really didn't show it, but I literally had a shelf, it was like my hair was split into 2 different haircuts. I ended up getting an asymmetrical pixie. I tried parting my hair over farther with that other cut, but it didn't look good at all with the awful layer she put in. Blow drying it didn't make it straight, it was very puffy and just awful. Definitely was not a styling issue.

Oh how awful! Do you like it better now?
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks very cute sixelamy. Much closer to the cut in the picture. Glad you were able to fix it in a way that works for you and you managed to keep front length!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    I'm pretty happy with it. Very little maintenance :). Lays a lot better and doesn't do funky things. Glad I trusted my instinct.

Oh it's adorable! Sorry, I must have been writing my last response when you posted your pictures. I'm glad you like it!
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • ttoosdayttoosday Curl Connoisseur Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's very cute! I really like the results. :)
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

That looks a lot more like what you wanted in the first place. I like it a lot. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
    Thanks! Yes, much closer to the style I originally wanted. It's a little short, but my hair grows super fast. It should be the perfect Iength in a couple of weeks.

I just hate high maintenance haircuts - my hair is SO thick.

• testimony777testimony777 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You have good instincts; I was totally on team don't cut it just work with it, but that new cut is fierce!
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Looks awesome, Amy! Definitely think you made the right choice cutting it again. The initial cut didn't really do anything for you/suit you, but this looks AMAZING. Honestly, it frames your face so well and just looks cute in general.

Side note: What was your stylist smoking when you gave her the Kaley pic and she decided to do the cut she did? They look NOTHING alike O_O That's so bizarre.

Anyway, all's well that ends well - you're rocking the shorter 'do!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • StarmieStarmie Curl Virtuoso Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It looks really cute. You're lucky you seem to suit so many different styles.
    I hear you on the shelf thing (not that I can see it in that first pic), that's exactly what I've got going on and I so don't want to go shorter but I can't see a way around it. Sometimes I seem to be able to blend it and other times (like today, really bad) I just can't. I really don't understand how it is that stylists can't see what they're doing!
    3b in South Australia.
  • rbbrbb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i think it's a cute cut! and it's not anywhere near as short layers as a pixies, so should be fine if you decide to grow it out.
    i know about 2 different hairstyles in one cut -- had a stylist years ago who started out with great cuts, then got 'fancy' and i'd go home with one style in back and one in front -- made me crazy! it took me about 3 cuts to finally leave as he used to do great by my hair, then.....

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    The new fixed cut looks great! Very cute. :) And I love your glasses!
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
    Thanks gals! I love it even more today! The back is suuuuuuuuuper short, I woke up feeling like I had my hair in a ponytail lol. It's so different.

Looks awesome, Amy! Definitely think you made the right choice cutting it again. The initial cut didn't really do anything for you/suit you, but this looks AMAZING. Honestly, it frames your face so well and just looks cute in general.

Side note: What was your stylist smoking when you gave her the Kaley pic and she decided to do the cut she did? They look NOTHING alike O_O That's so bizarre.

Anyway, all's well that ends well - you're rocking the shorter 'do!

Finally, someone sees it and understands! Yeah, I don't know what that lady was smoking! The stylist that gave me the fixed cut says it looked like she cut into her line AKA just plain messed the cut up and tried to play it off. I feel like I'm 22 again! I feel like I'm finally getting my style back after so many years. I think this cut will be easy to grow out with the long bit in front.
    Starmie wrote: »
    It looks really cute. You're lucky you seem to suit so many different styles.
    I hear you on the shelf thing (not that I can see it in that first pic), that's exactly what I've got going on and I so don't want to go shorter but I can't see a way around it. Sometimes I seem to be able to blend it and other times (like today, really bad) I just can't. I really don't understand how it is that stylists can't see what they're doing!

I hear that on the blending. In the pic I was able to blend it, because I blowed dried it. The next day I styled it from sleeping on it wet and my hair had very wonky curls - wasn't able to blend the shelf that day. I wish I had a picture of how bad it really was. I kept having to brush the front part of my hair back for it to look good. I hope you can figure yours out, such a pain to have to grow something out that you didn't want in the first place. Stylists can really see things skewed. I don't know how she saw face framing layers in that picture!
    rbb wrote: »
    i think it's a cute cut! and it's not anywhere near as short layers as a pixies, so should be fine if you decide to grow it out.
    i know about 2 different hairstyles in one cut -- had a stylist years ago who started out with great cuts, then got 'fancy' and i'd go home with one style in back and one in front -- made me crazy! it took me about 3 cuts to finally leave as he used to do great by my hair, then.....
    It's suuuuuuuuper short on my left side and in the back, but I think it will be easy to grow out! I'll probably start growing it out in August to get ready for the cooler months. These stylists really need to cool it with the cutting! I swear some of them just make stuff up as they go hoping for the best.
    Yeah, now that so much has been cut, what's left is likely super healthy with no split ends; it's likely to grow really fast. I really think it looks super cute on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    Love it! I thought it looked cute in the first pic, too, but it sounds like the picture was quite deceiving! Yay for you!:)
  • waymire01waymire01 Curl Neophyte Posts: 117Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree, a deep side part and some product would make a huge difference. If you take the length off the top you will have heck growing it out (speaking from experience) and it will just be an even longer wait.
    3A, fine, porous, colored, protein sensitive
    Buildup/breakout with: butters, coconut/argan oil, polyquats.
    Poo:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    RO/CoW/DT/LI: TRESemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file