Non-ethnic curly hair

darrlingdarrling Posts: 1Registered Users
There's no easy way to put it - I'm a white girl with curly hair. My hair isn't soft like most white girls, it's a lot more course. The "ethinic" versions of curl products is what I've been using more than the traditional salon products. Some of those products have too much oil for my hair to handle. It seems like I can't find the right balance. Any suggestions?

Comments

• diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It sounds like you think it's uncommon for white people to have coarse hair or hair that's not soft. It's not uncommon at all, just as it's not uncommon for people of color to have soft hair. And most people (over 60%) have wavy or curly hair, you just wouldn't know if because so many straighten it. People here are of many different ethnicities, including white, yet have hair with the same properties (texture, porosity, curliness) and use the same products.

Anyway, just because we have curls doesn't mean we're limited to using products for curly hair. My favorite styler is for any kind of hair. Are you looking for shampoo, conditioner, and styling product? Any particular kind, like a cream or a gel? Do you avoid any ingredients like sulfates or silicones?
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Which products are you talking about as far as "traditional salon" products? By that I mean which brands and what types of products are you already using.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • luvscurlzluvscurlz Posts: 109Registered Users
    darrling wrote: »
    There's no easy way to put it - I'm a white girl with curly hair. My hair isn't soft like most white girls, it's a lot more course. The "ethinic" versions of curl products is what I've been using more than the traditional salon products. Some of those products have too much oil for my hair to handle. It seems like I can't find the right balance. Any suggestions?

I get what you're saying, basically your hair has a texture closer to what you'd find on blacks more often then whites and if you don't like the oilier or heavier your products you probably have a hair texture that's kind of in between.

Yes a lot of ethnic products do go heavier on the oils. I'm not really a fan of that either. I don't know what your hair or curl type is, but have you tried kinky curly products? They work well on a large range of hair types and doesn't leave an oily residue, but does give a lot of control. It does dry crunchy but you can scrunch that out for fluffy natural looking curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.lenasblend.com
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I missed something. Did the OP say something about black people's hair I missed...

Also most black people I know don't have coarse hair, anyway. So many I know have exceptionally fine hair.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kilajo wrote: »
    I think I missed something. Did the OP say something about black people's hair I missed...

Also most black people I know don't have coarse hair, anyway. So many I know have exceptionally fine hair.

Um, the first person to mention Black people is you. Unless a post has been deleted! :confused5:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Read the posts again. Perhaps you're confused because I said Black "people". (Well I don't refer to black people as "blacks" like the poster before me...) So technically, yes, I'm the first to refer to Black "people".

• CopperCurlyGirlCopperCurlyGirl Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My personal preference is "As I Am" I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Do not use DevaCurl, many people, including myself had problems with the product building up on my scalp. If you are using a no-poo shampoo, I suggest that you exchange it for something with a mild lather as this will help with greasy feeling hair.
  • MissQuirkyMissQuirky Posts: 44Registered Users
    I find light oils but creams work really well for me :)
  • mrs_holmesmrs_holmes Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm mediterrenean and my hair is a lot drier than most curly-haired women around here. I also have a lot of hair which is fine in texture, and oil is making it limp quite easily. I have discovered that products with protein give me nice volume at the roots and make my hair curlier. The shampoo I'm using is from The body shop Rainforest series and the conditioner is Swartzkopf's Repair and Care (smells so YUMMY! And has keratin). Hope it helped!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    there is no 'should be' with any ethnicity with regarding hair.
    a hair analysis would be a way to start -- you can get one from goosefootprints, the woman who writes the science-yblog.com. you can find it on that website. it is very helpful.
    once you know your hair's texture and porosity, then you can determine which ingredients most likely will work.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    darrling wrote: »

Plenty of white people with curly hair on this board and in the world! It's not an odd or rare thing :-?

With the products thing, there are plenty of products out there that aren't aimed at any specific ethnic group and just target curly hair in general, or dry / coarse hair.

The products I'm using now are a good example. My conditioner is an Australian brand called Jason Naturals (it's the Aloe Vera one) and it only says it's for 'dry' hair and makes no other specification.

My gel is the Ouidad one and simply says it's to 'nourish and hydrate, whilst calming and styling unruly curls'.

Honestly, if you do a bit of research online, or even just browse around this forum you will find a TON of hair products that don't even mention ethnicity. In fact, I rarely see any products that do, because ethnicity doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a certain type of curl or texture.

Find out your properties, check ingredients and steer-clear of products with oils high on the list, browse around the site and see what people with hair that looks / sounds similar to you are using, and just have fun experimenting with it.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • crushcrush Posts: 53Registered Users
    I just realized how Old this post is... 2012. Boy, things have changed.
  • mrs_holmesmrs_holmes Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    crush wrote: »
    I just realized how Old this post is... 2012. Boy, things have changed.

I just realized Im not that observant! Well, I hope my post helped someone else if not the original poster. :-o
  • TallcurlyTallcurly Posts: 17Registered Users
    The post may be old, but it will probably reach others with similar concerns. From the original post, I think I can gather that there's a lack of understanding with regards to ethnic hair texture. I ran into something similar in a recent conversation with a caucasian/native American guy who was very proud of his beard, lol! He personally described his beard as soft & similar to a "black person's" hair (his wording). I bet he wishes his beard was that soft, but he is basing his statement on assumptions! I wasn't about to feel his beard & I doubt he has ever felt ethnic hair. Maybe I'm guilty of beard assumptions too :dontknow:. Anyway, we have to judge what our own hair needs without assuming similarity with other people's hair types. Just experament based on product label claims and ingredients lists. We all end up having to do that anyway.
    3A? Supersoaker method with KCCC followed by diffused drying. Trying to work toward CG method for my bleached, abused hair, but can't seem to put away the hair dryer. :disgust:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    All of us come from an ethnicity. That includes "white" people. In America, hair products are separated by race and false assumptions. Many products are geared toward blacks or African-Americans who primarily have type 4 or kinky curly 3c hair. Products geared toward whites are formulated for fine to medium straight to slightly wavy hair that doesn't need a lot of moisture. The curly hair products are usually either in the black hair care section a.k.a. as the ethnic aisle or next to the ethnic aisle.

A lot of Americans grow up thinking that whites don't have curly hair, unless they're Hispanic or have some distant black ancestry. And nonHispanic whites who have curly hair or hair that doesn't lay flat and need minimal care are usually taught that they have bad hair. So I understand the OP's post.

In reality, many white ethnicities have curly hair. I think because of America's history, this idea still remains. A lot of people who have a mixture of white and black ancestry have curly hair so I figure that the theory is the curlier your hair, the less white you are in certain parts of America.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • BaileyRNBaileyRN Posts: 1Registered Users
    Omg yes...i thought i was crazy for experiencing this... im white American..my dad has very very curly borderline kinky hair 3c 4a and hes of Slavic/hungarian ancestry and my mom straight fine hair and shes of Scottish/French ancestry and growing up i could NOT handle my hair, esp at puberty and my mom and her family unfortunately really would say crazy things about my hair and at school id have some white kids say my hair looked like pubic hair and then some black kids would say i was making my hair look so poofy, curly and kinky to pretend to be black, i was just trying to handle my very very unruly, frizzy, poofy lions mane of hair. It made me hate my hair....as a consequence i colored, straightened and wrecked my hair for 20 years. Now at 37 im trying to finally understand my hair and care for it. But while many whites have curly hair there is or was definetly a stigma against it...ur Irish or ur Italian or ur mixed race. Its obviously wrong but growing up it can hurt esp if your young and slready self conscious.

Like the OP...i use mostly products in the "ethnic" hair section but need to use sparingly and check carefully as too much oil weights my hair down.

I hope mentalities are changing...
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BaileyRN wrote: »
    Omg yes...i thought i was crazy for experiencing this... im white American..my dad has very very curly borderline kinky hair 3c 4a and hes of Slavic/hungarian ancestry and my mom straight fine hair and shes of Scottish/French ancestry and growing up i could NOT handle my hair, esp at puberty and my mom and her family unfortunately really would say crazy things about my hair and at school id have some white kids say my hair looked like pubic hair and then some black kids would say i was making my hair look so poofy, curly and kinky to pretend to be black, i was just trying to handle my very very unruly, frizzy, poofy lions mane of hair. It made me hate my hair....as a consequence i colored, straightened and wrecked my hair for 20 years. Now at 37 im trying to finally understand my hair and care for it. But while many whites have curly hair there is or was definetly a stigma against it...ur Irish or ur Italian or ur mixed race. Its obviously wrong but growing up it can hurt esp if your young and slready self conscious.

Like the OP...i use mostly products in the "ethnic" hair section but need to use sparingly and check carefully as too much oil weights my hair down.

I hope mentalities are changing...

This is crazy, it's like you were describing my life! I was called " Pube head" even by my sisters! We're not alone, yay :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • KatKurlz63KatKurlz63 Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Poodle.  That's what I was called in 6th grade.  So great for an adolescent's self esteem. The oldest son of a family friend used to tease me and say things like "you must like those brown boys".  Of course he was a racist **** and after his parents passed I've never spoken to him again.
    My ancestry is mostly "white" - Finnish, Scottish, English and a bit of Dutch. Also some Jewish/Israeli in there somewhere. I have blue eyes, 3A/3B wonky hair, light brown/dark blonde and plenty of gray. I quit getting highlights over a year ago; still deciding if I'm going to let the gray out or do a single color. I'm currently in product-thought-overload and finding that the massive coconut oil trend is overwhelming; my hair isn't really liking it either.
    I used to slather on Nexxus Humectress in handfuls and then use hot rollers. Ain't nobody got time for all that anymore! Now post-menopausal and growth is super slow. Seems like the top and sides grow out, but the length at the nape will not grow at all.
    The struggle is real!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @KatKurlz63
    Just wanted to say I've got Finn ancestry, too!  I love encountering others with Finnish ancestry!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Brandi1126Brandi1126 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you ALL so much! I have, literally, anywhere from 2a the 4a hair depending on the location of/on the strand. I’ve struggled with my hair all my life and often times shaved my head because it was easier and I, surprisingly got less weird looks than when I had my curly hair (which used to be all 4a). I’ve been bleaching and flat ironing my hair for years, on top of using a lot of hot tools and wearing my hair in a tight ponytail most of the time. I am finally ready to embrace my curls, but have had a hard time finding products for my hair because it is surprisingly really soft. I have stopped bleaching my and dying my hair, stopped using hot tools and have been only washing my hair once a month or more sometimes. I do not have oily hair or scalp, so I can go a long time without needing to wash it. I just need to find products that will work with my really soft curly hair so I can get it back to all being even without using too much oil or using something that weighs it down.
  • MrsPressMrsPress Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, some of the comments here are ridiculous. The OP just meant it’s hard to find hair products that fit her needs. As another “white girl” with curly hair, it’s nearly impossible to find anything that works for me; not enough hold, too much hold, too drying, too oily, no body, too much frizz, etc. The best products I’ve ever used were the Pureshine Curls line; unfortunately, they are discontinued. I struggled my whole life until I found them, had great looking, soft to the touch hair for a few years, now I’m back to struggling. I think all curly girls get the struggle...it’s real!
  • SS-CurlSS-Curl Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    MrsPress, none of the comments prior to your post are ridiculous. Everyone, whether they primarily focused on product suggestions or tackled the original poster's ignorance about "ethnic" hair, was thoughtful in their responses. The original poster lead with, "There's no easy way to put it." This implied what was to follow would be negative or harsh. She was right. What proceeded were ignorant and, yes, harsh assertions about hair types and product quality. For example, ethnic products are not salon products (false--KeraCare, Mizani, celeb stylist Anthony Dickey's Hair Rules products), and most white women have soft hair. I don't know her definition of soft hair, because plenty of people who shop in the "ethnic" section, as she put it, have very, very soft hair...be it tightly coiled, wavy, or (believe it or not) straight with high porosity that responds well to heavy oils.

She came for a quick answer to a question that requires far more info to answer. Offering her race and un-expounded on ideas about course and soft--she doesn't make comparisons or distinctions for anyone to even begin to categorize her curl pattern (1 - 4C), density, or porosity level-- were not enough for anyone to effectively help. This is why your post is the true ridiculous post.

You spoke of a product assuming it could've been of benefit to her, because you are also a white woman with curly hair. She could have protein or glycerine sensitivities that would've made her hair frizz and become even less manageable, had she used a Pure Shine product. Hydrolized silk (a protein) and glycerin were prominently featured in Pure Shine's products. So, the hydrolized silk probably smoothed your hair, but it could've been a nightmare for her strands. Good thing the product is discontinued and she can't blindly take you up on your suggestion.

Also, there is no need to put white in quotations. If you're white, you're white. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. 
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have found curlisto structura lotion plus is the best product so far. Depending on control, mixed with a little bit of the control gel II. There are instructions and videos I believe on their website. The deva volumizing mousse used to work but its so expensive and you have to use a lot for it to work. None of the ouidad products or other devacurl products really worked for me.

Butters and creams or anything with any oil in it make my hair look like cotton candy, it's horrible. 
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine, I also like the Curlisto Structura Lotion Plus.  Pricey but works well. 
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file