Seriously-- who cares if men like your hair?

RJKY74RJKY74 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
That's what I think every time I see that post up top. Please yourself. That is all. :banghead:

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think the same thing.

Not all men dislike curly hair anyway.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I worked with some bleached blonde straightening gals, and their view of things was disturbing. Short hair meant you were getting old and didn't care. Wavy or curly hair was gross. Clothes should be worn tight. Everything they did related to appearance seemed geared to please men with the most obvious of tastes, and it annoyed me greatly.

Be yourself! Even if you try to blend in with cultural stereotypes, sooner or later, your real self is going to make an appearance, so why not embrace it to begin with?

This is my view, and I'm sticking with it.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm the same. I think as long as you're happy in yourself, then everyone else can get screwed (blunt, but true).

Besides, hair is subjective any way. Lots of different men have lots of different tastes. Some men prefer blondes, some men prefer women with straight hair. Just like some men prefer brunettes and some men prefer curls. It depends on the individual and can't really be generalised.

If a guy doesn't like your hair, find someone who does. There are plenty of men out there who like curls, and if you're happy with yourself, who cares anyway?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Is this a preoccupation of the young and insecure, do you (gy) think?
  • RJKY74RJKY74 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do think it's a preoccupation of the young, primarily. I cared much more about this kind of crap in my 20s than I do in my 40s. It's hard explaining to my poor husband that I don't dress for him, either. LOL. He's one of those "but I go to the gym to look good for you!" people. I'm like, "I go to the gym so I don't kill anyone."
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for this thread!

Why won't that thread die already? Talk about beating a dead horse.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it is a preoccupation of the generation behind me, generally speaking. That could never cover all, but it is where I see and hear it the most. I never, and I mean never, heard someone say wavy or curly hair was gross when I was younger. Any and every hair type was appreciated in the circles I traveled in and I've had more men tell me my hair absolutely drove them wild. I have heard some younger guys say they like straight hair better, but it's all a little too Vanilla for me. Same old, same old, same old carbon copy.

No problems here with someone trying to look nice for/catch the the eye of a man. If you are attracted to him I see no problem with it. It's pretty natural for people to want to do things for each other, but wearing something I know he likes here and there is about as far as it goes for me. I'm not one to continuously change my hair for him, etc. it should be based on anything but superficiality.

*I will say some of the differences I have seen amazed me. Guys in their teens and 20s when I was growing up would yell at you for laying out in the sun and doing damage to your skin. Many of the younger guys I have met expect tanning beds and spray tans to be a regular. Of course the guys I grew up with appreciated extra effort at times, and didn't really care if you wore makeup, but their favorite was a woman in pajamas or t-shirt and sweat pants, with bed head, stumbling around first thing in the morning. Many younger guys I have talked to like a full face of makeup and everything in place 90% of the time.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The thread won't die because younger women are insecure and young men say shallow things as an excuse not to go out with someone.
  • anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Posts: 271Banned Users
    :dontknow: To each their own I guess....people like what they like and dont like what they dont like. That does not mean I have to shave my head or hide my hair under wigs....cant please everyone but you can sure as heck please yourself all day everyday.
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    I've learned throughout my life that you should NEVER live your life trying to please others, because no matter what you are always going to run into someone who still isn't satisfied. It's a complete waste of time and pretty much useless. Live your life the way you want and do as you please. If someone has a problem with how your hair looks, screw them! It's not their hair to be worrying about.
  • FraenzyFraenzy Posts: 48Registered Users
    In my experience it was always other women or girls who told me to straighten my hair or that whatever I do my hair looks messy ....nearly never was it a man... Maybe in school when I used to brush out my curls and wore a big poofy sth. Boys also made fun of it, but since I try to live with my curls ( even before I went natural) it was never a man...
    2c/3a curls
    low porosity, medium/high density, medium width (as far as I see now ;) )
    CG since March 2014

Still searching for the best products!

Routine now:

Cleanse/shampoo with YTC Nourishing Shampoo
    Cleanse with SM Yucca Baobab Conditioner/Rainforest Moisture Conditioner
    YTC Pampering Conditioner/Loreal Everpure Moisture RO or LI
    For styling I use any Eco styler gel (do not like the Argan oil that much)
    For DC I mix SM Condi+Honey+Olive Oil
    I remember visiting an old friend in New York, and stopping at Whole Foods. In the checkout line was a woman with gorgeous, type 4 red curls, worn big and loose and sexy, and I felt that pang I always feel when I see another redhead with hair I wish was mine. I nudged my friend (male), and said, "Isn't she beautiful?" and he shuddered and said, "That hair," as if it was repugnant to him. I made a face at him and walked away to shop on my own for a while. In my head, I thought, "You moron."
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I remember visiting an old friend in New York, and stopping at Whole Foods. In the checkout line was a woman with gorgeous, type 4 red curls, worn big and loose and sexy, and I felt that pang I always feel when I see another redhead with hair I wish was mine. I nudged my friend (male), and said, "Isn't she beautiful?" and he shuddered and said, "That hair," as if it was repugnant to him. I made a face at him and walked away to shop on my own for a while. In my head, I thought, "You moron."
    Next time call him a moron to his face.
    Actually, I've called him far worse things.
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    RJKY74 wrote: »
    I do think it's a preoccupation of the young, primarily. I cared much more about this kind of crap in my 20s than I do in my 40s. It's hard explaining to my poor husband that I don't dress for him, either. LOL. He's one of those "but I go to the gym to look good for you!" people. I'm like, "I go to the gym so I don't kill anyone."

Haha, this is me exactly. My poor hubby always said he liked feisty women, and now he's probably sorry, lol. At this point in life, my attitude is "I like it, and if you don't...(insert appropriate profanity here)." Fortunately hubby seems to like it for the most part, and if he doesn't he's smart enough not to say so. Looks are somewhat important, and of course you need attraction, but years later looks are not what holds a relationship together. What's meaningful about a person is not what is sitting on top of their head.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't care if mEn like natural hair because I am only interested in the one mAn that would like it AND be interesting to me.

My relationship is not a part of a "popularity" contest nor do I think having a group of men after me increases my "value" and "marketability"...smh!

I am glad that I went natural as a single woman, so now I will only attract men who like my hair the way it is.

This seems to be very pleasing to some men and Caucasian men in particular...LOL!

PS...Oh, I was in the supermarket the other day and wasn't paying much attention to anyone. I turned to go down to an aisle and this man looked at me and said "DAMN"...[like I was the best thing he had seen in a long time]. I was so embarrassed because people looked and smiled.

I guess to some "natural hair" is VERY impressive.

Focus on the positive...sisters!
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • bobbybobby Posts: 785Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm the polar opposite. I'm the type that would join women in the natiral hair moment. :)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree ladies. I've never had a man comment on my hair before. Boys, yes, in like third grade. I, however, attribute that to them being third grade boys. I think men are much different. The only negative thing I've heard about curly hair from any men is that they wish women would stop pulling it back or putting it up and would just show it off. My husband told me that he wished I would stop putting "all that crap in it" when I used to weigh it heavily down with gel and Pantene conditioner. He's much happier with it being bouncy and full.

I think this is something going on with the younger generation for sure. My sister (15) asked me why guys don't like natural hair. Then she said forget it and started wearing her hair natural. And now she uses this saying: "The bigger the hair, the harder they stare." Meaning it as a positive way of looking at natural hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• HaileyRHaileyR Posts: 98Registered Users
    I'm 17, so I deal with the immature crowd a bit. While I've gotten a couple comments about how I should straighten my hair, and only one or two were intended to be negative, I've received an overwhelming ammount of compliments on my curls from guys of all ages. And maybe its coincidence, but on the rare day I straighten it, the attention I get is from the wrong kind of guy.
    Anyways, my point is there are guys who love curls! But what you love should matter most, some guy liking them is just a bonus.
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file