After-care questions

naomilenanaomilena Registered Users Posts: 47 Curl Neophyte
I just had my hair cut and dyed at a salon today. When it dried, the ends were frizzy, which is rather disappointing, and my wave pattern is much weaker from all the trauma! :pale:

Tomorrow I'm going to get my hair wet to see if it helps my waves come back. Is it too soon to do a DT or should I wait till I wash it?

Also, is it ok to do a coconut oil pre-poo before the first wash, or could that cause any color fading?

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    What colour did you get your hair dyed?
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    48 hours is the minimum to even wash your hair again, so I'd say that would be my minimum to do a DT that contains protein. I hope you're doing CG because if you shampoo now your color could start to fade. But it would be much better if right now you only used a LI with protein. VO5KLS mixed with a few drops of VCO makes an excellent LI, it has hydrolized collagen which nourishes the hair, similar to the gelatin PT (which I did 2 weeks after coloring).
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    Why coconut oil can't be used right away?? It's not a protein, right?

{Stats for mobiles}
    M/C, High Porosity,Normal Elast. 2c/3a Boticelli/Corkicelli
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    Coconut oil is fine at any time, you can even use a RO that has protein as a LI, but that makes more of a difference really when the hair has been colored red or blonde, dark colors are much less affected by a little protein in a RO, unless the hair had been previously colored in a light tone, due to higher porosity the dark pigments would bleed or fade out faster as well. But that's why CG is so much better for color-treated hair, it really helps maintain color much longer than when a person uses shampoo.
  • naomilenanaomilena Registered Users Posts: 47 Curl Neophyte
    I just got my roots touched up to my natural dark brown to cover my gray. I went gray really young--thanks, mom! The stylist also added a bit of gloss on the ends to even out the color.

Unfortunately, I'm protein sensitive so think I'll stick with the DT after waiting for 48 hours, and then experiment with gentler forms of protein when my waves have revived a bit.
    naomilena wrote: »
    I just got my roots touched up to my natural dark brown to cover my gray. I went gray really young--thanks, mom! The stylist also added a bit of gloss on the ends to even out the color.

Unfortunately, I'm protein sensitive so think I'll stick with the DT after waiting for 48 hours, and then experiment with gentler forms of protein when my waves have revived a bit.

Idk if you'll care for my opinion but I don't really believe that people who process their hair chemically (or use heat on it regularly) can have "protein sensitive" hair. Also, that's not a permanent "condition". It may very well have been that at one point, when your hair was not processed or was in very good condition that it just didn't need it, OR you used too frequently and got buildup, OR a type that just didn't agree with your hair type as not all protein used in hair products is the same. So I wouldn't be too quick to write all protein off forever. Many people don't even know that protein is necessary for holding moisture inside the hair, and if they have problems of dryness and/or frizz they could moisturize until the cows came home and not see any improvement.
  • naomilenanaomilena Registered Users Posts: 47 Curl Neophyte
    I do understand what you're saying. I've read quite a bit on the subject, and I do tend to agree that it's a spectrum, and it seems that protein sensitive people react to protein because their hair already has enough for the time being, which could change in the future.

That being said, although my hair is color treated, it still (post color treating) reacts violently to protein, even gentler types. Perhaps this is because it's fairly healthy even though it's color treated. When it's a little more recovered from the dye job, hopefully I can try collagen or keratin (which I did say on my previous response. Nowhere did I claim to be writing protein off for good)

But please, don't discount people's protein sensitivity because you've never experienced it or you've intellectually reasoned out that it doesn't exist. This can make people feel that their own very real experiences are being questioned. (We curlies certainly hate it when stylists do it to us! Let's not do it to each other.) I did an egg and mayo hair treatment a few weeks back, and it turned my hair as hard as one of those green scrubby pads! That's not a normal reaction, especially to something so gentle!

Perhaps it would be helpful for you to think of protein sensitivity as "protein sufficiency." Our hair tends to be naturally more robust, but in the protein-moisture balance, we usually need lots more moisture.
    I think you misinterpreted my post. I didn't imply it doesn't "exist", what I was trying to say is that it's not necessarily a permanent condition, especially for people who chemically process their hair in any way. I've seen too many times people who write it off entirely and then later when their hair's needs change they're at a loss because the moisturizing DTs they were doing end up making their hair worse. You have to realize that I had no way of knowing your entire hair history, so there's no need for you to feel like I was discounting your experiences since I didn't really know it.
  • greencup13greencup13 Registered Users Posts: 596
    So when you say hair can't be "washes" for 48 hours. Can I wet and apply RO and style again? Just dyed tonight and wondering about tomorrow night.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
    greencup13 wrote: »
    So when you say hair can't be "washes" for 48 hours. Can I wet and apply RO and style again? Just dyed tonight and wondering about tomorrow night.

You wrote RO, which means you are going to rinse the CO out, so the answer is "no". I recently read that 1 week is even better for the dye molecules to completely "oxidize" and not wash out, but hardly anyone could wait that long these days.

Sounds like you have not done "2nd day" hair (or more). Have you tried just refreshing your styler by spraying your hair with water (preferably distilled) and maybe reapplying a bit of gel?
  • greencup13greencup13 Registered Users Posts: 596

You wrote RO, which means you are going to rinse the CO out, so the answer is "no". I recently read that 1 week is even better for the dye molecules to completely "oxidize" and not wash out, but hardly anyone could wait that long these days.

Sounds like you have not done "2nd day" hair (or more). Have you tried just refreshing your styler by spraying your hair with water (preferably distilled) and maybe reapplying a bit of gel?

I go to the gym almost every day. So no I don't do 2nd day hair. I Cowash every day. Usually Fridays I don't go to the gym I will skip cowashing.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Egg and mayonnaise is NOT a protein treatment, it's a lipid (oil/ fat) treatment. Egg protein is far too large to penetrate the cortex or patch repair the cuticle, it will only stick if you fail to rinse/ wash effectively. Mayo contains very very little protein, it's largely oil and vinegar (excess acidity messes with hair proteins). Eggs contain emulsifying components so can be used to clean the hair (some find this overly cleansing).

Damaged hair needs *hydrolysed* protein; coarser hair doesn't tend to do well with it but can sometimes take infrequent doses. I find my hair does best with hydrolysed protein in the form of a conditioner (intensive or leave in) not as a hard drying treatment. That seems to be the best balance of protein and 'moisture' (I prefer the terms emollience or conditioning since protein has humectant properties).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

I go to the gym almost every day. So no I don't do 2nd day hair. I Cowash every day. Usually Fridays I don't go to the gym I will skip cowashing.

Hmmm! In order for hair coloring to "grab" in the first place, there has to be some oil on the roots, and if you wash the very next day I can't imagine your hair color lasting very long... Each time I didn't wait at least a day after my last co-wash my gray roots turned out lighter than they should and sometimes I had to re-do the most visible parts.

What shade did you dye your hair? Have you colored it before?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file