How do you define your curls?

caitlincurlscaitlincurls Posts: 35Registered Users
As someone who finally made the transition back to curly hair after straightening for years, I'm trying to figure out a good routine still. I'm still developing my routine, and am having trouble finding a good way to define my curls.

Currently I have been twisting all the curls on my head around my finger to make them ringlets, but I'm not satisfied with this method because I think it makes them almost too tightly curled that they don't sit well on my head. Without doing any defining my curls irritate me because they are very irregular and have funky kinks in them.

What techniques do you all use? I would love some new things to try!
Currently using:
Cleanser: SM Curl and Shine Shampoo, DevaCurl Low Poo, Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadance One Condition
DT: The Mane Choice Green Tea & Carrot Deep Conditioning Mask
Leave-In: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
Styler: KCCC, CK, LA Looks SG, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How do they turn out when you just scrunch your styling product into wet hair? Do you air dry, or diffuse?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • caitlincurlscaitlincurls Posts: 35Registered Users
    I almost always air dry and only use my Devafuser when I'm in a rush.

When I don't do this they just look very undefined (redundant, but that's the only way I can think to put it) and the curls will change directions and look kinda funky. It's really irritating!
    Currently using:
    Cleanser: SM Curl and Shine Shampoo, DevaCurl Low Poo, Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadance One Condition
    DT: The Mane Choice Green Tea & Carrot Deep Conditioning Mask
    Leave-In: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    Styler: KCCC, CK, LA Looks SG, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    If you go to the main menu and click on the General Discussion About Curly Hair, at the top there's a "sticky" thread with TECHNIQUE LINKS where you can find tons of useful information and testimonials of other curlies which used each method. Even after all the years I've been wearing my hair curly I thought I'd try at least one of those tips myself.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• curlicious13curlicious13 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I diffuse dry. If I air dry, my hair will be poofy. My curls look better when I diffuse.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I find, so far, I get decent curl definition when after adding my LI, I take my hair into sections and comb through the LI. After, I take each section and scrunch the gel. Going through sections has really helped with better curl definition, especially when adding gel.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Curl Neophyte Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's possible that from all the years of straightening you ruined the curl pattern. Not to worry, I had this same problem. What I did was use a curling iron to kind of get the curls to curl in the right directions. However, heat to correct heat damage....two wrongs do not make a right.

Perhaps you could try curlers or those Curl Formers or even try pin curling or rag curls. Just make sure you curl big sections at a time to prevent poodle hair.

The curls will come back on their own they just need some encouragement.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Do you use any conditioner or even gel that has protein? Would you say your hair is coarse or fine. My curls seem to pop when I use something with protein but after a while I might seem frizz because of the nature of my hair.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I want to give a little update about the TECHNIQUES sticky! I decided to try 2 of them, the "scrunch & pump" and the "wet pineapple" and have to say I obtained great results so I'm very impressed with these!

My hair had not been clumping well in part because I had been combing my hair after putting on gel and getting it to reclump after that didn't work out too well sometimes. I'd stopped trying to scrunch the gel in because it seemed that whenever I did my curls would just fall apart anyway but the "S&P" done with wet hair really worked. Another problem combing gave me was to make my top totally flat so I'd have to put clips on (=extra time invested) but wearing the "WP" for a while took care of that. I think I did it after diffusing my hair for a while.

So, if the "creators" of these 2 simple, yet effective, techniques are still hanging around here, I'd like to thank them very much for sharing them with us! :laughing8:
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Keep in mind that telephone cord curls (the ones that reverse) are a sign that your curls are real, and not artificial, and you may be more forgiving of them.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file