Rice Water Rinse

adthomasadthomas Curl NeophytePosts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi curlies,

I have been experimenting in my time away from the forum. so went bad. some went well. I tried two things based on YT videos from Dailycurls. She is a Dominicana with a Spanish language channel. First thing was putting my oil before my li. I had never tried it before and surprisingly I retained my moisture better.

The second is rice water rinse. I love how this made my hair feel soft and strong at the same time. It was hairgasmic. I was a little apprehensive because I'm protein sensitive but I had no issues. I looked at several sites instructions. some said to boil rice but I didn't. some said regular white is fine but organic white is better so I bought organic. some said use distilled water I used tap. Anywhoo, I mixed cup of warm water and cup of rice in a bowl. swirl it around until murky then strained the water into another container. The directions had to throw out the first strain and I did the first time. but then I saw you only really get two strains and I have a lot of hair. the first time I feel I didn't have as much water as I'd like. next time I used first strain no prob.
So after cowashing I divided my hair in four parts and rice rinsed each section. left for a few minutes then cold water rinse each section. An applicator bottle may make this easier for you. Also this stuff was amazing for my skin. I would love to hear other's experiences
HTH
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• juanabjuanab Curl Neophyte Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    adthomas, thanks for the tips. Did do a DC? If so, when do you incorporate the rice rinse in conjunction with your DC?

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • adthomasadthomas Curl Neophyte Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    juanab wrote: »
    adthomas, thanks for the tips. Did do a DC? If so, when do you incorporate the rice rinse in conjunction with your DC?

No. I have only done it after a cowash that didn't include any protein products. I did my shampoo and dc today after a henna but didn't rice water rinse because didn't want to chance overload. My hair will become very hard if I don't avoid protein for a few days after henna.
    Ok thanks. Speaking of henna, I just saw a Curly Nikki's last blog post about henna gloss. She is getting good color deposit and the conditioning benefits by adding a few tablespoons of Red Raj henna to her favorite conditioner and applying that to her hair before dye release. She let's it sit for about 3 hours, part of that time having used a heat cap for 30 - 45 minutes. She does this bi-weekly. No more full blown henna treatments. I am going to try it next week.

co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

event.png
    Ok thanks. Speaking of henna, I just saw a Curly Nikki's last blog post about henna gloss. She is getting good color deposit and the conditioning benefits by adding a few tablespoons of Red Raj henna to her favorite conditioner and applying that to her hair before dye release. She let's it sit for about 3 hours, part of that time having used a heat cap for 30 - 45 minutes. She does this bi-weekly. No more full blown henna treatments. I am going to try it next week.

Interesting. I have not done a real deal henna in forever. I have been using Surya Henna cream. Sometimes I add indigo. I thought I didn't like it at first but then switched to darker color. I apply it to my gray roots I get in the front, twist up the hair, put on plastic cap and go to bed. Wash out the next day. This has been working so much better for me because being lopo my hair wasn't absorbing color in the time other people's hair was. I do it biweekly too. My hair naturally reddish brown so Henna only shows very visably on my gray so I can get away with not doing my whole head and it not look funky.
    adthomas wrote: »

Interesting. I have not done a real deal henna in forever. I have been using Surya Henna cream. Sometimes I add indigo. I thought I didn't like it at first but then switched to darker color. I apply it to my gray roots I get in the front, twist up the hair, put on plastic cap and go to bed. Wash out the next day. This has been working so much better for me because being lopo my hair wasn't absorbing color in the time other people's hair was. I do it biweekly too. My hair naturally reddish brown so Henna only shows very visably on my gray so I can get away with not doing my whole head and it not look funky.

I used Surya before I used henna, but I like that henna loosens my curl a bit, so it makes it easier to twist my hair (my hands would hurt really bad due to RA and Fibro). Also, I have less tangling. But you have me thinking that I probably should get back to using the Surya on my roots every two weeks. My grays are just disrespectful! Lol!

event.png
  • The New BlackThe New Black Curl Connoisseur Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've heard good things about rice water for the skin. I'd be interested to see what it does for my hair.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    I've head good things about rice water for the skin. I'd be interested to see what it does for my hair.

Bigen Hair Care Products: Shampoo

This company is marketing rice water in its hair products.
  • MeechlMeechl Posts: 1Registered Users
    Rice water is great for skin and hair. It is rich in Inositol an amino acid. It strengthens, softens and stops hair breakage. It is also very economical because it doesn't cost you anything and it works. I water wash my hair and don't use any products in my hair, when I tried using the rice water for washing, my hair it felt amazing!
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users
    Sounds awesome!

I am always on the look out for homeopathic treatments that leave hair soft and conditioned..

Right now I really love the Onion Mask Treatment, but I may have to try this as well!
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I bought some rice today, and will most likely try this in the coming weeks. I can't wait to see if I also get good results.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • auntcurlyauntcurly Posts: 234Registered Users
    Tried the rice water. Used the first water because my hair is hard.

Really liked it. Made my hair soft and that's really saying something for my hair which is like steel wool.
    I'm still doing this twice a week after cowashing and love it. I forgot to mention I add drops of rosemary oil. I read later rosemary rinses are supposed to be good for growth. I also tried boiling the rice but didn't notice a difference. Found out my Walmart doesn't sell organic white rice. I bought it somewhere else before.
    I finally tried the rice water rinse yesterday, and sadly, my scalp started itching instantly. Thankfully, an apple cider vinegar rinse helped.
    Update...

I decided to try this again because I noticed that my scalp was a lot better after the rinse. This time I only let the rice set in the water for a minute instead of a lot longer... No itchies this time, so I guess the last batch was too strong for me. Hopefully, I will again get the same results for my scalp.
    Hmm. Interesting. What water to rice ratio did you use? Was it first wash or second? I use first wash but some sites say not to so to remove anything on the rice.
    The first time I used about 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. I couldn't remember how long to let it set, so it set for about 45 minutes to an hour before straining. I kept this batch on my head for about five minutes before the itching became unbearable.

The second time (today) I used about 1/4 cup of rice to about 2 cups of water. I think it set for a minute or two before straining. I rinsed this batch from my head after a minute.

What are you doing with the rinsed rice?
    I don't measure mine but I guess it's about one part rice four parts water. I just swirl it around a few times and immediately strain. Except for the one time I boiled it and that was only a few tablespoons of rice.

Sorry you got the itchies and I'm glad the acv helped.
    No itchies the second time using it, so I will at least finish the rice that I bought since it seems to be helping my scalp.
  • AddeeAddee Curl Connoisseur Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Restarted rice rinse but this time regular white not organic. I put a few drops of rosemany and lavender eo. Mixed all in applicator bottle.The first time I used it I rinsed a lot through and my hair felt a little crispy on the ends. Maybe the protein. Now I just use the applicator bottle at the roots. Let it sit awhile then rinse it out. I've been doing this for every cowash and shampoo. My hair is feeling healthier. I think this plus I'm drinking a lot more water is really helping me this summer which is usually my torture time of year.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • AddeeAddee Curl Connoisseur Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wanted to update with the rice water rinse. I'm happy with it so far and will likely make it a staple. Before I would rinse all of my hair but now I only apply it at the root with than applicator bottle. While other people have problems with dry ends, I am the strange one who has problems with my hair getting very dry at the roots. Since I started the rice water mixed with rosemary eo applications it has helped a lot to take care of the dryness.. Whereas some products that I've tried to apply at the roots for dryness end up causing my scalp to flake. As far as growth, I have noticed a spurt but can't for sure say this rice water is why. My hair grows a little faster in the summer and I'm consuming more water and protein. Also the rosemary could be a factor.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Curl Neophyte Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you notice faster growth i read somewhere rice rinses can do that..
  • mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Curl Neophyte Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lol nvm i saw what you said...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file