We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

GoosefootPrints Analysis

sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I know there are a few of us getting this analysis done, and figured we could all post our results here!

I originally did the LCLF analysis that told me I had medium width, low porosity hair. I just got my GoosefootPrints analysis back today and it came back totally different!

Hair strand thickness: Coarse ...what??
89% were coarse and 11% medium.
Porosity: Low at roots, porous/normal at mid-shaft, porous at ends. (I knew it!!)
Slight kinking
Normal elasticity dry, low elasticity wet

Apparently my hair is extremely sensitive to baking soda and more to shampoo bars, but showed no reaction to vinegar and little reaction to citric acid.

I am impressed how detailed this analysis is. I still have yet to read through everything and all the links she gave me.

If anybody has any advice on how the heck to take care of my hair now, it's welcome! I knew I was doing something wrong after my hair came back LP. I knew it wasn't!!
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Really pleased you found it useful. Do you know why your ends are high porosity, are you growing out old damage?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I had some hi/low lights on my ends still, and I used to straighten my hair all the time. The middle has no color... possible heat damage from the flat iron that I had stopped using 7 months prior. The very ends of my hair basically had no cuticle, which is really sad. I did get a hair cut since that chopped that part off, so I don't think I have any bleach damage left. Definitely going to try the pre-poo coconut oil.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    Now I am interested in trying this. I did the LCLF analysis, which I felt was accurate for the most part, however I don't think I have low elasticity and my hair is more coarse than medium coarse.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • EntangledEntangled Posts: 74Registered Users
    Oh, that sounds so great! I want to do this but I'm having trouble collecting clean hairs. How did you collect the 40-50 hairs?
    3b, corkicelli curls, low porosity, normal/high density, medium-coarse strands

SL - APL - BSL - MBL
  • HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    Oh wow, that's great. She sounds very detailed, too, which is amazing.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • Eady_OdieEady_Odie Posts: 44Registered Users
    I'd be interested in doing this too, however I was wondering how on earth I collect my hair... The thought of taking a pair of scissors to my head terrifies me!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine, High P, Low-Med D
    Low P: Dr Organics Aloe Vera Poo
    Rinse Out: Dr Organics Aloe Vera Cond
    LI: Alberto Balsom Cond or A'kin LI
    Pre P: CO
    Deep Cond: A'kin or Andrew Barton SOS
    Stylers: Boots Curl Creme and Umberto Giannini Scrunching Jelly
    Collect them from the shower drain, separate and sort so they line up neatly bulbs all at the same end. Slosh around in soapy water if they need cleaning.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    I just cut all mine near the root so I could distinguish what was the root and what was the end. If you do this, I suggest you go very slow and be careful. I had a spot where I accidentally cut off like 10 hairs lol Luckily it wasn't from the top of my head.
  • Eady_OdieEady_Odie Posts: 44Registered Users
    Thanks! I think I'll try FireFox's method first and if I'm not having any luck I'll try and brave the scissors!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine, High P, Low-Med D
    Low P: Dr Organics Aloe Vera Poo
    Rinse Out: Dr Organics Aloe Vera Cond
    LI: Alberto Balsom Cond or A'kin LI
    Pre P: CO
    Deep Cond: A'kin or Andrew Barton SOS
    Stylers: Boots Curl Creme and Umberto Giannini Scrunching Jelly
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I know there are a few of us getting this analysis done, and figured we could all post our results here!

I originally did the LCLF analysis that told me I had medium width, low porosity hair. I just got my GoosefootPrints analysis back today and it came back totally different!

Hair strand thickness: Coarse ...what??
    89% were coarse and 11% medium.
    Porosity: Low at roots, porous/normal at mid-shaft, porous at ends. (I knew it!!)
    Slight kinking

Apparently my hair is extremely sensitive to baking soda and shampoo bars, but show no reaction to vinegar and little reaction citric acid.

I am impressed how detailed this analysis is. I still have yet to read through everything and all the links she gave me.

If anybody has any advice on how the heck to take care of my hair now, it's welcome! I knew I was doing something wrong after my hair came back LP. I knew it wasn't!!

I just mailed my hair sample for the LCLF so I'm excited to get the results back!! Just curious what made you try a different analysis.....were you not satisifed with the results from LCLF?
    Entangled wrote: »
    Oh, that sounds so great! I want to do this but I'm having trouble collecting clean hairs. How did you collect the 40-50 hairs?

40-50 hairs???? GEEZ! that seems like a lot! However, sounds like it would allow for a more thorough analysis. I just sent off my hair samples for LCLF and if I recall it was only like 16-20 hairs (I probably could've done more). I simply just pulled mine out one by one.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theknowledge02theknowledge02 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Your analysis came back almost identical to mine. I still haven't finished reading it but she suggested products with a lot of slip and I need more moisture.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using CurlTalk App
  • MeeBeeMeeBee Posts: 128Registered Users
    Eady_Odie wrote: »
    Thanks! I think I'll try FireFox's method first and if I'm not having any luck I'll try and brave the scissors!

Are yo sure you can do it that way? It looks like she needs them from the top, sides and back of head. Does it matter if they're marked or is it just a way to get them from all areas of head?
    2C/3A, high porosity, low density, fine-medium

Low Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Clarify: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying, KCCC
    RO/CoWash: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: AG re:coil, AG Beach Bomb, Mop Top Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gel, LA Looks Xtreme Sport
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatin treatment (awesome!)

Hair LOVES proteins!
    SortaRican wrote: »
    I just mailed my hair sample for the LCLF so I'm excited to get the results back!! Just curious what made you try a different analysis.....were you not satisifed with the results from LCLF?

No, I was not satisfied at all. She didn't give any ingredient recommendations, she only has groupings of products on her pinterest, which some I didn't agree with. I didn't feel like I had low porosity hair at all, and turns out I don't - only at the roots. She doesn't use a microscope or measuring tools like Wendy does at GoosefootPrints, she only eyeballs it. IMO, the LCLF analysis was a waste of my money. My hair has been way off since treating it like it was low porosity, nothing was working at all.
    I read on here that LCLF aren't offering hair analysis any more anyway.

Oh and Wendy at Goosefootprints recommends you do NOT pull hairs out as the over stretching looks like damage under the microscope.

• gabriellehaze_gabriellehaze_ Posts: 26Registered Users
    I loved my hair analysis it was so worth it! I'm a student on a tight budget but the $25 I spent on the analysis is just $25+ I'm saving on experimentation with products that won't even work.

My analysis:
    I have medium-coarse hair, some kinking. Normal elasticity dry and wet. Low porosity at roots, normal and low mid-shaft and porous ends (ombre bleach damage). Slightly acid sensitive and somewhat sensitive to baking soda. (I avoid ACV and baking soda rinses anyways)

My hair has never been better!
    Mostly 3B curl with some 3A and 3C mixed around. Super long, few inches away from the waist.

Medium-Coarse
    Some kinking
    Normal elasticity (dry & wet)
    Low porosity at roots, normal/low mid-shaft, porous ends

:reindeer:

Shampoo: Live Clean Apple Cider clarifying shampoo, or L'Oreal Everstrong
    Conditioner: Garnier Fructisse Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Garnier Fructisse Sleek and Shine
    Gel: homemade flaxseed gel
    Mousse: Got2B FatTastic Mousse
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users

No, I was not satisfied at all. She didn't give any ingredient recommendations, she only has groupings of products on her pinterest, which some I didn't agree with. I didn't feel like I had low porosity hair at all, and turns out I don't - only at the roots. She doesn't use a microscope or measuring tools like Wendy does at GoosefootPrints, she only eyeballs it. IMO, the LCLF analysis was a waste of my money. My hair has been way off since treating it like it was low porosity, nothing was working at all.

Well that makes me sad :(. I guess I'll just have to see for myself once I get the results back.

I sent an email before mailing my samples off and in her response she mentioned nothing about not doing the analysis. I'm going to send another email just to verify because I paid for it and I'd be very upset if I didn't get any results back.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,268Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Well that makes me sad :(. I guess I'll just have to see for myself once I get the results back.

I sent an email before mailing my samples off and in her response she mentioned nothing about not doing the analysis. I'm going to send another email just to verify because I paid for it and I'd be very upset if I didn't get any results back.

LCLF's site says here, that:

"Effective January 27, 2014, Live Curly Live Free will no longer offer their hair analysis service. If you have previously purchased one and do not receive a completed profile by February 15, please contact us at 727-323-2875 to let us know.

Although we have made the decision to discontinue this service, we still encourage you to purchase our e-book to learn how to take care of your curly hair."
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Ms.CabernetMs.Cabernet Posts: 137Registered Users
    Hi! I received my hair analysis from Goosefootprints last week. Lots of valuable information that I'm reading slowly and trying to assimilate. My results were:

Hair strand thickness: 3b - Coarse
    Hair elasticity dry and wet: Normal
    Porosity: Low at roots, normal to porous mid-shaft, mostly porous at ends

My hair is coarse but at the same time porous. She recommended using protein in certain cases, such as before coloring my hair. She recommended hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed collagen or amino acids. Have any of you used (with good results) a product containing these ingredients?

She also recommended heavy creams instead of gel, as I'm trying to elongate my curls and avoid shrinkage. Any recommendations on a good curl cream, preferably protein/silicone free?

Also, to avoid frizz, she recommended "film forming humectants" such as flaxseed and aloe vera gel. I've tried to make my own FSG with not very good results. Any recommendations on where to buy already made FSG? Have any of you tried the Aveda Flax Seed gel? I'm experimenting with FOTE as well.

Wendy also emphasized that my hair would benefit from heavy pre-poo coconut oil treatments.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I really recommend the Goosefootprints analysis. As other poster said before, you'll save a lot of money when you start buying only those products that are good for your hair.
    My hair is coarse but at the same time porous. She recommended using protein in certain cases, such as before coloring my hair. She recommended hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed collagen or amino acids. Have any of you used (with good results) a product containing these ingredients?

She also recommended heavy creams instead of gel, as I'm trying to elongate my curls and avoid shrinkage. Any recommendations on a good curl cream, preferably protein/silicone free?

Also, to avoid frizz, she recommended "film forming humectants" such as flaxseed and aloe vera gel. I've tried to make my own FSG with not very good results. Any recommendations on where to buy already made FSG? Have any of you tried the Aveda Flax Seed gel? I'm experimenting with FOTE as well.

Wendy also emphasized that my hair would benefit from heavy pre-poo coconut oil treatments.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I really recommend the Goosefootprints analysis. As other poster said before, you'll save a lot of money when you start buying only those products that are good for your hair.

I loved CJ Repair Me - it has keratin amino acids. Your hair sounds similar to mine, and mine absolutely loves keratin!

Sweet Curls Elixirs on Etsy makes FSG that you can add your own ingredients, if you wish.
    Thanks sixelamy! I'll definitely order Repair me soon. And I'll take a look at FSG at Etsy and order some as well!

I actually had my hair cut by Tiffany (LCLF) about three years ago and she also said my hair was coarse. She recommended avoiding proteins and use some of the CJ products (CIAB was one of them) which I liked.

She cut my hair nicely but I just don't think the Deva cut technique is right for my hair...and Wendy confirmed that. She said that Deva cuts tend to remove the "bulk" of the hair and leave you with un-filled ends, which is not good if your hair is not dense. That's why my hair looks very short and "stringy" after a Deva cut. My hair needs to keep the "weight" and even though I love lots of layers, they do not look good on my hair. So I think I'll stick with regular end trims every four months or so as I would like my hair to grow healthy.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,373Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was very satisfied with my LCLF analysis and think it was quite accurate. But I will certainly try this one also just for fun and for any new information. Off to find it!

Just paid for my analysis and will be cutting some hairs tonight! : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html

• LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Oh you make me want to have this analysis as well! Though the process of collecting hairs scares me off a bit.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • yestheyrerealyestheyrereal Posts: 54Registered Users
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    Oh you make me want to have this analysis as well! Though the process of collecting hairs scares me off a bit.

Me too. I've already copied and pasted the questionnaire, answered it, but haven't collected any hair. I watched some get stuck in the drain this morning but wasn't really too keen on picking them out. Maybe when I rake and scrunch in product I can grab some and just wash them?
    2c/3a
    Low-high porosity, fine/medium, high density thick hair, highlighted
    Modified CG since 12/2013
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Lauraimes wrote: »

Me too. I've already copied and pasted the questionnaire, answered it, but haven't collected any hair. I watched some get stuck in the drain this morning but wasn't really too keen on picking them out. Maybe when I rake and scrunch in product I can grab some and just wash them?

Yeah I mean, gathering the loose hairs when detangling doesn't sound too scary, but how do I know which is what end?

Also, I'm not entirely confident that my collection of hair would manage to go all over the world (okay, from Europe to the US, but still. It's a different continent).
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,373Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I lose hundreds of hairs a day so clipping off 50 will be nothing.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html

I agree.. the clipping hair was totally not scary. I was dreading it myself, but it was no big deal.
    I just cut a few from different areas: crown, back, sides. No big deal, you cannot notice it. Cut them very close to the scalp so you know in which sides are the roots and the ends.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    Just wanted to add my two cents in that I had the LCLF done a couple years ago and then had it done by Komaza Care. If I had known the goosefootprints analysis would be offered soon I would have waited.

Anyway, LCLF said I had medium texture, normal elasticity, and normal porosity. Komaza Care said I had coarse texture (and coarse to the touch), normal to high porosity and normal elasticity. So, two very different results. I tend to trust KC more than LCLF because they look at my hair under the microscope, sent me pics of my hair with some captions, general recommendations and also a phone call to discuss my hair. But they are very pricey!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just wanted to add my two cents in that I had the LCLF done a couple years ago and then had it done by Komaza Care. If I had known the goosefootprints analysis would be offered soon I would have waited.

Anyway, LCLF said I had medium texture, normal elasticity, and normal porosity. Komaza Care said I had coarse texture (and coarse to the touch), normal to high porosity and normal elasticity. So, two very different results. I tend to trust KC more than LCLF because they look at my hair under the microscope, sent me pics of my hair with some captions, general recommendations and also a phone call to discuss my hair. But they are very pricey!

I don't know how anyone could tell much without a microscope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file