Looking for advice

morbomorbo Registered Users Posts: 4
I'm getting a little desperate and was hoping you guys might be able to help. I am at the point where I just want to buzz my head and call it a day. To start I have what I think is 2C, low porosity, fine-ish? hair that doesn't really like protein or silicone. Also I'm allergic to soy and yellow dye so I try to avoid them in products.

My hair has always been pretty wavy but I've never known how to deal with it. I've tried going natural using the CG method several times in the past with little success, but I have been using CG friendly products for years since my hair seems much healthier on them. Until recently I was either blowdrying straight or brushing out my waves (I know, but it kind of worked for a while.) However since I had my baby my hair has changed quite a bit. My hair is a lot wavier, the waves are now starting at the roots, and heat styling (even with a protectant) is over drying my hair. Also frizz. So much frizz. And I'm currently growing out bangs. (I know. Huge mistake.)

I have much, much less time to deal with my hair with my little one around so I want to try wearing it natural again but wanted to see if anyone had some advice on how I can maybe make this work this time.

Some reasons that I think going natural failed in the past:
1. I didn't really like how my hair looked curly, but that could just be something I need to adjust to.
2. I felt like what curls I got were stringy, frizzy, weighed down, and crunchy.
3. I can't stand the feeling of product in my hair. Gel, creme, mousse, anything. Especially if it's something that will melt and run down my face throughout the day. Anything more than a light leave in conditioner will have me running to wash my hair before the end of the day.
4. Frizz halo. Oh god frizz halo.
5. My hair tangles extremely easily when dry so I look like a haystack by the end of the day. Then I feel like I need to run my fingers through it or brush it. That never goes well.
6. My hair loses curl throughout the day. Curls don't last.

My current products are:
Shampoo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
Conditioner: Alternating between Jessicurl Aloeba and Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil
CoWash (every other day): Giovanni Tea Tree Conditioner
Leave in: Curl Junkie Smoothing Leave In
Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab or Coconut Oil

So, with all that said, does anyone know of any products or techniques I can try out? I've been lurking the forums but have gotten overwhelmed and don't have a ton of money to blow on new products. My ideal hair would be soft, shiny, not weighed down, moveable curls or waves with no frizz. I might be hoping for the impossible but a girl can dream. :) Thank you!

I'm attaching a picture of the hair I ended up with this morning. The sun is helpfully blocking my face. :icon_smile: I wasn't attempting curls so I have no product in, not even leave in conditioner. The curls I had have fallen out and gotten stringy since then.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Your first port if call is to be sure on your hair properties: it might be wise to have a hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy (should easily pay for itself in not wasting on products).

Coconut oil is for reducing porosity and increasing elasticity, you would not normally deep treat with it on low porosity hair.

Options for styling could include conditioner only styling, DIY flaxseed or okra gel, DIY flaxseed curl cream (the gel mixed with a conditioner you already own). Recipes on Sciencey Hairblog.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Many rinse out conditioners work well as leave in conditioners, whereas many products marketed as leave ins are either too light to clump or fight frizz (more detanglers) or very heavy/ laden with ingredients that can build up like butters, silicones or waxes.

Stringiness could indicate build up, consider clarifying and chelating. Watch for butters, silicones (suffix -cone, -conol, -xane), waxes including cetyl esters, certain polyquats. Most heat protectants are laden with silicones.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • OrpheusOrpheus Registered Users Posts: 55
    I feel you in the increase in waves since kids. I'd say I was a 2b on a good day before my son and after my daughter I am leaning to 2c/3a. Kids I tell yah.
    I embraced my waves for the same reason you are trying it. I have two little kids and work full time. No time for blowdrying and straightening. I try to avoid diffusing but my hair looks so much more put together when I do. I have the simplest of routines. I am mod curly girl as I still include sulphates, hard water and fine hair doesn't work well with the low poos I've tried. I wash, slather with condish and detangle, rinse with cool water and add about a pea to nickle size of condish back into my hair. Squeeze out as much water as I can. Then I use an old tshirt to get some more moisture out. I then put a tiny bit of coconut oil on, scrunched in. I use my homemade flax seed gel and diffuse upside down on weekdays and air dry on weekends. I then scrunch out the crunch.
    I have fine normal porosity hair, that acts as if low, high density hair.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  • morbomorbo Registered Users Posts: 4
    Your first port if call is to be sure on your hair properties: it might be wise to have a hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy (should easily pay for itself in not wasting on products).

Coconut oil is for reducing porosity and increasing elasticity, you would not normally deep treat with it on low porosity hair.

Options for styling could include conditioner only styling, DIY flaxseed or okra gel, DIY flaxseed curl cream (the gel mixed with a conditioner you already own). Recipes on Sciencey Hairblog.

Oh wow thank you for your reply! I had no idea I could do send away hair typing. This is amazing.

I'm def going to check out making my own flaxseed gel and looking into a different oil.
    Many rinse out conditioners work well as leave in conditioners, whereas many products marketed as leave ins are either too light to clump or fight frizz (more detanglers) or very heavy/ laden with ingredients that can build up like butters, silicones or waxes.

Stringiness could indicate build up, consider clarifying and chelating. Watch for butters, silicones (suffix -cone, -conol, -xane), waxes including cetyl esters, certain polyquats. Most heat protectants are laden with silicones.

Thank you!

I have hard water so I rinse with distilled water. I thought I could stop clarifying, but I did a clarifying shampoo last night based on your comment and there is a definite improvement this morning. I also used my normal conditioner as a leave in and I think I like it better.
    Orpheus wrote: »
    I feel you in the increase in waves since kids. I'd say I was a 2b on a good day before my son and after my daughter I am leaning to 2c/3a. Kids I tell yah.
    I embraced my waves for the same reason you are trying it. I have two little kids and work full time. No time for blowdrying and straightening. I try to avoid diffusing but my hair looks so much more put together when I do. I have the simplest of routines. I am mod curly girl as I still include sulphates, hard water and fine hair doesn't work well with the low poos I've tried. I wash, slather with condish and detangle, rinse with cool water and add about a pea to nickle size of condish back into my hair. Squeeze out as much water as I can. Then I use an old tshirt to get some more moisture out. I then put a tiny bit of coconut oil on, scrunched in. I use my homemade flax seed gel and diffuse upside down on weekdays and air dry on weekends. I then scrunch out the crunch.
    I have fine normal porosity hair, that acts as if low, high density hair.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm definitely going to try to make some flaxseed gel. Hopefully it works for me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file