I'm So Confused!

dinoRAWRSyoudinoRAWRSyou Posts: 21Registered Users
Alright, apologies in advance since I can already tell this is going to be a novel. For those of you who stick it out to the end -- I appreciate it.

So here's the deal: how do you know for sure if you're protein sensitive? My hair is low-porosity, and at first I thought it was fine, but now I'm pretty sure that it's medium with some fine and some coarse strands. Definitely high density. The top 1/3-1/2 of my hair is virgin, and the bottom is growing out some bleaching on the underlayer and some all-over dye. I sit anywhere between a 2A and a 2C depending on how nice my hair is being that day, normally closest to 2B with a 2A underlayer. I've been mod-CG since about mid-April of this year and I had good results for *maybe* a month, but stuck with it in hopes of figuring out what the heck was up with my hair.

I'm pretty sure I'm protein sensitive. Even after DC'ing, if I've used any product with a significant amount of protein, I lose so much hair in the shower; and not just breakage, severe shedding from the roots, because I did put protein-containing products on my hair and scalp. When it dries, it doesn't feel excessively dehydrated but it's super tangly and snarly. The ends feel rough and straw-like but the roots feel almost mushy and rough at the same time, if that makes sense. At first I thought it was a combo of strong humectants (e.g., glycerin) plus protein, so I cut out my styler that was glycerin-heavy to see what happened. My hair didn't get any better.

For a while I religiously did gelatin PT's spiked with NPF because I thought my hair loved protein. I never got crispy-crackly hair, but my hair was almost straight with slightly wavy ends, very very limp, and I had so much frizz. I have issues when I use CureCare, which has hydrolyzed keratin, and when I use EcoStyler Crystal, which has hydrolyzed wheat protein, so it's not just one type of protein that causes issues. I'm nervous to even use my Suave Naturals Coconut as a cowash because of the protein in it since my hair gets sort of limp from it (and it's not just limp from cowashing).

So because of all that, I'm pretty sure I'm protein sensitive. Any help or tips? I thought I loved protein when I started so I don't know what to do for protein-sensitive hair!

Oh, and my lovely curveball. My best hair recently was cleansing with a sulfate shampoo, using CureCare as a PT/cowash/LI, and then following with GVPCB as a RO. I used a tiny bit of CureCare as a LI and followed with a protein-free gel and plopping.
2A, sometimes 2B
Frizz-prone, low porosity, high density, fine/med thickness, high elasticity

Not really CG, but all the new products I buy seem to be CG
Shampoo: TJ TTT, Nature's Gate Color Protect
R/O: Nature's Gate Color Protect, Tresemme Naturals
L/I: Tresemme Naturals, Nature's Gate Color Protect
Current Stylers: MJ PSC, SM C&SM, Joiwhip, Tresemme Curl Spray

Comments

• followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    lol novel!

It sounds like you are protein sensitive. I myself get confused because whatever I do my hair still feels super dry, and often brittle, like a brillo pad! Yes, I said it and its an awful feeling.

I think you should try to eliminate all the protein heavy products and try it for a couple weeks to see how your hair holds up. Thats what I had to do but in my case, my hair is still dry.

Protein will make your hair feel coarse, stronger but it can make it really dry and brittle. -> Me.

What confuses me the most is that this can also happen if you moisturize often. But my hair is still dry? It's all about the right product at the right time.

Should have been a chemist, that way I would understand my hair!! lol

so, I guess I too wrote novel! sorry...
    3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
    Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
    hair seems to be moody.
    Does not seem to like oils
    Does not like protein or too much?
    Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't believe there is a simple division between those who are protein sensitive and those who are protein craving, IMO it is a spectrum, different parts of your had can have different needs (old/ damaged ends compared to virgin roots, or canopy and underlayers).

Most of us can get protein overload if we cane the protein as you describe.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file