How can I get rid of buildup without using sulfates?

I have recently only been using sulfate free shampoo, L'oreal EverCreme Nourishing Intense Shampoo and my hair feels so much softer and healthier. But I do only wear my hair straight so I have to use lots of products filled with cones and polyquats and stuff that builds up. I can feel buildup in my hair right now. And the L'oreal shampoo isn't getting it out. I would really hate to use a sulfate shampoo cause it dries my hair out so much and causes lots of tangles. But I don't know how else to get it out? I've read cones such as cyclopentasiloxane are harder to remove and takes harsher surfactant like sulfate because they bond with a stronger ionic bond. This ingredient is in my current heat protectant ugh. What can I do? I don't want to use baking soda cause I've read it is abrasive and strips the hair, as well as alters the PH balance of the hair. Am I going to have to clarify with a sulfate shampoo and then find another heat protectant that won't build up as bad or uses cones that can be washed out with coco betaine (in the l'oreal shampoo).

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cyclo-cones don't build up at all. They evaporate off of the hair during the drying process.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • artemis513artemis513 Curl Neophyte Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You do not have to use sulfates to remove buildup from those kinds of products. Look for a shampoo that has cocoaminopropyl betaine in it, for example, that is capable of cleansing very well but not stripping if the whole product is formulated well.

Note: Some shampoos can be very drying no matter if they have sulfates or are sulfate-free, so it's going to be trial and error. Sounds like you just need a better shampoo.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    You can clarify your hair with an ACV rinse; 1 part ACV with 3 parts water. I've also done it with conditioner mixed with lemon juice. Make sure you really massage your scalp firmly for a while before rinsing.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The cocoamidopropyl betaine is way down the list in that shampoo, try a clarifying or basic (non conditioning) shampoo based on that surfactant.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • wavydazewavydaze Curl Novice Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    On the ground I've tried and liked the giovanni shampoos (try 50:50) and YesToCucumbers, both have c. betaine and both should be able to "clarify" without stripping. They're not sulfate shampoos but they should be able to get rid of most buildup.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list