Summer killed my curls?

hairlikemeridahairlikemerida Posts: 13Registered Users
So, I work in a carpentry shop and my hair is always up in a ponytail from 9-7 and I live in Philly, and it's been really hot, like from 80 - 105 degrees (and it's always like 85 - 90 in the shop) and I notice my hair has just been getting frizzier and frizzier and my hair has gone flat with a bit of wave on the ends.
I was using Kinky Curly Curling Custard and it has really made my hair any curlier (I don't really know, I haven't quite figured out the right way to use it).
My hair is basically a giant straight poof ball right now.
And I'm going to Hawaii in a couple of days and I don't even want to know what that's going to do to my hair.
Do I just have to wait for winter again, which is when my curls are curliest, or is there anything I can do?

Comments

• davidkaltsasdavidkaltsas Posts: 119Registered Users
    So, I work in a carpentry shop and my hair is always up in a ponytail from 9-7 and I live in Philly, and it's been really hot, like from 80 - 105 degrees (and it's always like 85 - 90 in the shop) and I notice my hair has just been getting frizzier and frizzier and my hair has gone flat with a bit of wave on the ends.
    I was using Kinky Curly Curling Custard and it has really made my hair any curlier (I don't really know, I haven't quite figured out the right way to use it).
    My hair is basically a giant straight poof ball right now.
    And I'm going to Hawaii in a couple of days and I don't even want to know what that's going to do to my hair.
    Do I just have to wait for winter again, which is when my curls are curliest, or is there anything I can do?

I live in Greece and I had the same problem.. I use gels with strong hold now and it helps.
    Curl Pattern: 3a mixed with 3b
    Porosity:Low
    Density:Medium to High
    Width:Medium-Coarse
    Length:Medium

CG Method since 25/6/13

Want to reach terminal length !
  • mimixmimix Posts: 12Registered Users
    I am desperately waiting for winter too. I haven't had many good hair days sonce april and my hair ends up in a ponytail most of the time..
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    I have a rougher time in summer, too (which is sort of odd, since most curlies seem to have their best hair in the summer, but there you go). I can't use KCCC in the summer - for whatever reason, it dries me out and makes my hair stringy. I LOVE it in winter, but I have to shelve it when the temperatures and dews get higher. My go-to summer styler is Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic - it is moisturizing and makes my hair feel silky, while also taming frizz and encouraging curl. Whether or not that product will work for you is up in the air - my point is that you will probably have to switch products for the summer months. Most curlies do. So you may have a bit of experimentation ahead of you.

As for Hawaii - I am predicting your hair will love it there. It is warm, but not as humid as it is here on the East coast. Enjoy your trip!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• hairlikemeridahairlikemerida Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thanks guys. My sister insists that my hair isn't curly, and I'm like, "You haven't paid attention until now. And now it isn't curly."

Glad to know that a lot of people have the same problem as me.
  • mollymmollym Posts: 31Registered Users
    Maybe a protein treatment could help? Is your hair dry frizzy or mushy frizzy? I can't see properties because I'm on the app, but I do know that most curlies need a protein boost during the warmer, more humid months.

I also second a strong hold gel. My favorite is LA Looks Sport.
    CG since July 2012!
    3a; mediumish porosity, medium/coarse, high density
    Cleansers: Suave Naturals, VO5, SM shea butter shampoo, TJ TTT shampoo
    Conditioners: GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals, TJ TTT
    Stylers: LALS, La Bella gel, SM curl milk, coconut/olive oil
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    Rustina where so you get uncle funky's from? I wanna try it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    There's a huge beauty supply store near me that carries it, but I know a lot of curlies have to order online. Here's a link to the store locator page on their website:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Funclefunkysdaughter.com%2Fstore-locations%2F" class="Popup
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file