Looking for leave-in w/ UFC Curly Magic

naturalnewbnaturalnewb Registered Users Posts: 193
Both KCCC and Ecostyler have been leaving me w/ whitehead during my wash n gos...so I'm thinking it's just time to try a different gel altogether.

Anyone know what leave-ins work well with UFD Curly Magic? I've heard about Paul Mitchell The conditioner, but I'm kinda leery about cones.

Comments

• artemis513artemis513 Registered Users Posts: 666 Curl Neophyte
    What leave-in did you use under KCCC and Ecostyler whenever your hair turned white?

Btw, the silicone in PM The Conditioner is water soluble so you shouldn't worry about it. It's a good product.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Registered Users Posts: 193
    artemis513 wrote: »
    What leave-in did you use under KCCC and Ecostyler whenever your hair turned white?

Btw, the silicone in PM The Conditioner is water soluble so you shouldn't worry about it. It's a good product.

Oh, thanks for the info on PM; I might give it a try then.

Under KCCC/Ecostyler, I've used:

Knot Today (Didn't turn white, but wasn't heavy enough for my hair)
    Giovanni Direct Leave in (not white, but not heavy enough)
    SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (was GREAT w/ Eco, but left my hair white for like 6 hours while drying)
    SM Milk (white hair)
    Some CURLS product that was like Curl enhancing smoothie (white hair)
  • A. LoveA. Love Registered Users Posts: 519
    Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    Giovanni Weightless Leave-In
    Tresemme Naturals
    Curls Coconut Sublime
    KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    KBB Luscious Locks
    Oyin Hair Dew
    Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk

These have worked for me.

KinksOfNature.com

www.kinksofnature.com
    Last relaxer: 1st week of July 2009
    BC: Aug 29, 2010
    2nd BC: June 20, 2011

Shampoos: SM MR, SM ABS, Ion Color Defense Clarifying
    Detangle: V05 or Suave Naturals
    RO: Tigi MM,
    Treatments: CJCR, SM Scalp Elixir
    LI: any LI+oil+aloe juice
    Moisturizers: QBAOHC, SMCES, SMH&SMM
    Sealants: oils, OHBSP, JCN&S
    Gels: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Eco Styler Pink, KCCC
    Other: SM Scalp Elixir, Curls Control Paste

My Twitter
    KinksOfNature.com
  • tnaturaltnatural Registered Users Posts: 362
    CJ Smoothing Lotion works well for me as a leave-in. I mix my UFD Curly Magic with Ecostyler Blue then scrunch in a little Oyin Handmade Honey Dew once I am done. It makes my curls really soft.
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
  • artemis513artemis513 Registered Users Posts: 666 Curl Neophyte
    artemis513 wrote: »

Oh, thanks for the info on PM; I might give it a try then.

Under KCCC/Ecostyler, I've used:

Knot Today (Didn't turn white, but wasn't heavy enough for my hair)
    Giovanni Direct Leave in (not white, but not heavy enough)
    SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (was GREAT w/ Eco, but left my hair white for like 6 hours while drying)
    SM Milk (white hair)
    Some CURLS product that was like Curl enhancing smoothie (white hair)

Ok I'm not going to suggest any products because others have mentioned some good ones. Rather I'm suggesting that you look at the ingredients in the products you tried and see if you can see trends as far as what works and what doesn't. So, for example the knot today and giovanni didn't turn white. If you look at the ingredients you'll see that both are water based that have no emollients. The emulsifiers listed are to act as emollients in that formulation but tend to be too light on their own for highly textured hair. But they are great at bringing water into the hair and detangling without added weight. That's why they were too light for your hair, they are effective hydrators but need to be layered.

Then the smoothie, milk, and the curls product are very emollient rich very early in the listing so they sit on the hair and don't absorb, hence the white hair. They are more challenging usually to smooth over wet hair too (due to little to no emulsifiers up top in the list).

So what you should look for is a product that has a little bit of both, that should give you the weight you need to smooth everything out without white hair. If you think about it that way it'll help you drill down to find products vs just blindly doing trial and error based off suggestions from folks who may or may not have similar hair and needs.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file