We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

Compliments R Us

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,373Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been waiting for years for this forum so I will just group together all of the compliments I have received since I found this site, experimented and found the products to keep my hair happy and healthy, stopped all straightening and dying and harsh treatment.

I now have long wild curly grey hair and get compliments from women and men, young and old, quietly whispered to me or shouted across a room. One of my favorites was from Governor Rendell of PA who yelled across a banquet hall that he loved my hair. : )
They come mostly from strangers. And I appreciate every single compliment.

Tell me your compliments!
--I'm located in Western PA.
--I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
--My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
--My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
--My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html

Comments

• DsotomayorDsotomayor Posts: 173Registered Users
    Well, although I still love how my hair looks straight...my husband loves that I've gone back to my curls. He says it just makes me look fun and carefree. My daughter (straight hair like my husband) loves my spirals too, I bought her one of those clipless curling wands to get some curl in her hair too. I think people were so used to me straightening it for so long that when I went natural this past summer, everyone loved the change
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    After almost two years of being natural, I received an email from a curly on NC.com complimenting me on my latest twist out pic! She is one of my favorite curlies too! I am still beaming!!!!

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Jeepy, like you I get a lot of compliments from strangers and just people in general. It started immediately after I stopped straightening it (that was many years ago). I love it when the comment is from a fellow curly because I ...

1. Get a chance to compliment them back (So many gorgeous curl patterns out there!).

2. Can offer advice when they ask for it.

I'm also very grateful for compliments from straight-haired and wavy types too of course. Someone actually took time out of his/her day to say such nice things :)

I try and pay the compliments forward by randomly complimenting other curlies.
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users
    My coworker said "your hair looks so happy!?" I told her thank you and that she confirmed how much my hair loves Grape-seed oil!! :) (not a fellow curly, a closet wavy, but she also told me she was going to buy GSO,cuz of my success!) grand slam!

3B, Fine, Med D, Norm P&E
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Tropical Coconut/VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT/ CJBCLI/HETT/HENOYF (mixed w/ GSO)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    Love this thread!

Best compliments I've had...

Once I got a really lovely compliment in my inbox here on Curltalk personal message :)

Once I entered an exam room to get ready for an exam, and an exam assistent got all quiet, her mouth fell open and she stared at my hair. She said, ''you have incredibly beautiful hair''. :D

I'm temporarily living in Japan for studies, and here most people have straight, black hair. So of course I get a lot of stares, comments and compliments here, and people ask if my hair color and curls are natural. They hardly believe it when I say yes. My friends here can't stop touching it, haha

My friends can't believe how much my hair changed since I started CG, they say it's so beautiful. Now they want to try it, too!
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,373Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My sister and I went to a Ladie's Day event today and one of the things going on were free manicures given by students from a local Cosmetology school. In addition to getting great manicures and hand massages, we got tons of compliments on our hair from the students, instructors, and other patrons (my sister has thick wavy red hair and I have my crazy curly hair of course).
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html

^ Thank you! : )

Oh, and I meant to add - I asked the instructors if they teach how to care for curly hair (since many schools just kind of pass over it quickly) and they said yes they do teach about all types of curly hair. And I was pleased to see that the teachers and students weren't all flat ironed. Most of them had 2a through 3b hair.
    And yes, I did mention NC! : )

• bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    As much as curly hair gets stigmatized by some, hearing compliments is always refreshing. When my daught was about a year old, I was shopping in Target with her and saw a lady I know. She said how cute my daughter was (and she is if I do say so). Then goes, "She doesn't have your beautiful curls yet.: :)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • curlypookscurlypooks Posts: 49Registered Users
    I am having a FANTASTIC hair day!
  • curlypookscurlypooks Posts: 49Registered Users
    Posted before I could finish by mistake.. Today in the grocery store the checkout woman asked if my hair was natural, I said yes and she told me how incredibly lucky I am. I really do feel so lucky to be blessed with my curls and the information on how to care for them. :)
    curlypooks wrote: »

That makes two of us. After showering, I towel dried my hair and applied the curl shaping spray gel. Mostly scrunched but finger twirled a few curls. Never felt better.:)

Today at the grocery store I was walking down an aisle and noticed the stock boy at the far end kept glancing up at me. When I got near he looked up, smiled, and said "I really like your hair". : )

Today at the grocery store I was walking down an aisle and noticed the stock boy at the far end kept glancing up at me. When I got near he looked up, smiled, and said "I really like your hair". : )

Good for him. I was at the DMV one day and this black lady with a gorgeous head of curls waited on me. I gave her a compliment and it made her day. I proceeded to tell her that I compliment ladies with curls any chance I get.

• JulesonlineJulesonline Posts: 444Registered Users
    In the last three days, I have gotten several compliments on my hair, asking what I am doing. All from fellow curlies. So, I recommended they visit nc.com! :)
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
    Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
    Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
    Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
    RO/LI:
    YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
    Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

• JeliahJeliah Posts: 248Registered Users
    A lady at work came up to me and said," You have 4d type 8 hair!!!" To which I simply replied "Oh I didn't know that!" God bless her, she's trying lol. Then she went on to tell me that it was very pretty and she was starting her natural hair journey after she took out her braids. I smiled and said thank you. I also mentioned NC.com and told her this is where I get most of my natural hair tips. I hope she looks it up!!! Lol :-)
    LOL Sounds like she was hinting that your hair is an inspiration as she considers her own natural hair journey. How cool is that? :thumbup:
  • WavyshibbyWavyshibby Posts: 165Registered Users
    I have mid length blonde 3a curls, and in my school that's rare to come by where I live-I'm the only one with hair like mine :) so naturally I've been called Taylor Swift, and I get that a lot. Also people have compared me to Lucie Manette from A Tale of Two Cities and Juliet from Romeo and Juliet when we read those books in school. When I'm having a good hair day, people never hesitate to compliment (once I got 10 in one day!) and I'm always very grateful, I find every comment so sweet! :)
    2c/3a, fine texture, normal porosity, medium-to-thick
    Co wash: Vo5 Extra Body
    Conditioners: Deva One Condition, GVP CB, Loreal Evercurl
    Stylers: Devacurl ArcAngel, KCCC, AG Recoil, Iso Bouncy Creme, Ecostyler Krystal, CCCCL, KCKT
    Low Poo: Devacurl NoPoo, GTTT
    Hair likes: plopping, diffusing, SMaster's, coconut and argan oil, honey, protein
    "What makes a woman unforgettable? Her mind...surrounded by lots of naturally curly hair"
  • MarciMarci Posts: 225Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »
    curlypooks wrote: »

That makes two of us

Makes three of us! I am wearing 3rd day hair today and while walking my dogs, a lovely lady with a long braid stopped me to compliment my hair. I sent her here to NC since she is a curly too. But the sweetest and my fave compliment was while watching Annie on Broadway a couple sat behind me with their daughter with Down syndrome. The father taps me on the shoulder, and says "she will go for your hair, she likes pretty hair". And sure enough, the girl reached for my hair and started running her hands down the curls. She was adorable, and I will always remember with a smile :)
    2C-3A MBL layered
    Medium/fine texture, high density, normal porosity and elasticity. Dry climate.

Cleanse: SM MR, YTC
    Hydrate: Joico Kpak,DevaCurl OC
    Style: AG reCoil, LALSG

• TrickTrick Posts: 140Registered Users
    I know this isn't the same as a compliment from a stranger but I was at my boyfriend's house the other night and just randomly out of nowhere he said, "I like your curly hair! I mean, I like your straight hair too, I like it both ways. But I like your curly hair."

It was totally out of the blue and it made me really happy... :love6:

2c/3a, fine, low porosity.

Poo: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean (yes, it has A Sulfate!!, but I have Teflon hair)
    Co-wash (when I feel so inclined, which isn't often!): VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner
    Conditioner/LI:
    same for both -- whatever I have in the shower at the time (I experiment a lot)
    Style: EcoStyler Olive Oil <3
    Dry: Diffuse or air dry, or both...depends on my mood

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    So I just got back from a road trip and I got lots of hair compliments while I was Nashville from both women and men. One woman said "I love your hair. it looks so healthy" which I always enjoy hearing. I gave NC a plug.

Then today I was passing through Mobile and I walked in a restaurant and one of the employees announces "I absolutely love your hair." then she goes in the back, comes back and announces "I want your hair."

Being black and having tightly curly coily hair I like being a testimony to show we can have long healthy beautiful natural hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • curlycuefencer1curlycuefencer1 Posts: 1Registered Users
    In english class we were working in the library and my english teacher came up to the table that me and 3 other students were working at to tell us something and when she got over to me she said that I never seemed to have a bad hair day and I had the prettiest hair in my grade and I felt amazing for the rest of the day
  • CinnamonagoutiCinnamonagouti Posts: 32Registered Users
    I was once discussing a school project with my teacher and suddenly, she went quiet and asked: "Is your hair that curly naturally" and I was like "umm, yes..." and then she said "It's so beautiful! Like real corkscrews. So unfair!"

And another time she told me "You know... if I was to choose whatever hair I wanted, I would choose yours! It's soo beautiful!"

Made my day :)

Otherwise, I mostly get compliments from my friends... and the girls in school use to tell me that my hair's "just get curlier and curlier every day". I guess that's meant as a compliment :P
    2C/3A/f/ii/iii
    CG with occasional schampoo-washes since April 2011
    Currently MBL, heading for WL or longer!
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    Today, my hair was very poofy and frizzy, but I didn't put it up (which I usually do if I am going to go out). I decided to just let it be. When I went to the Dollar store, a lady said, "Wow you have such pretty hair." It made me smile, since the whole time I was so insecure that it looked so bad and frizzy. After that, my perception changed. You really don't know how much a compliment can help another person.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always get compliments from friends & strangers, not always from family. So sad.
    It was so funny and heartening. I recently got a new job and had to do some pre-employment testing. Each person, asked me if my hair was naturally curly, then said it was pretty and asked how I get the ringlets. All of them were fellow curlies too! So, I mentioned this site and the curly girl method.

:wav::wav::wav::wav:
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RO/LI:

Jules, that's really cool - that you were able to inspire other curlies :thumbright:
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Jules, that's really cool - that you were able to inspire other curlies :thumbright:

I thought it was great too. I also wore my hair down and curly for the interview! For the first time ever :)
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RO/LI:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list