General Discussion Board, down?

WavyWendyWavyWendy Posts: 138Registered Users
Hello,

When I click on the board, I get:

Content-type: text/html
Software error:
Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF at /home/httpd/html/ubb/Forum1/forum_1.threads line 7146.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Mon Jan 27 13:00:22 2003] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF at /home/httpd/html/ubb/Forum1/forum_1.threads line 7146.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Comments

• Theresa HommelTheresa Hommel Posts: 1Registered Users
    Me too!!

HELP!!!! Gretchen where are you??????
    What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Me too, and I can't get to the hair board either icon_sad.gif
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ha!

and y'all thought i was nuts last week when i said i was getting continuous error messages. mostly like the one wendy had, but even a new one that i'd never seen before! icon_smile.gif

what's even stranger is that the hair board says there's one message with two posts!!!

icon_eek.gif

let's face it - we're overloading the server.

we've got to STOP POSTING PICTURES - links only please!

and LIMIT THE SIZE OF YOUR SIGNATURE FILE TO 300 CHARACTERS!!!!

there are sig files that are 5 times as long as some posts! icon_sad.gif

every character that you type takes up room on the server. each time you post, your 27-line long sig file takes up all that space again. icon_sad.gif

it is a standard internet convention - and has been for the 10 years that i've been online - that a signature file be restricted to 4 lines.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - restrict your signature file!

every bit of space we take up costs G&M money!

THANK YOU!!!!!!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    some good points Rou.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • afropuff80afropuff80 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Bah! Not again!
    3c/4a Kelis/Mel-B type hair...

"It doesn't matter how many times you fall but how many times you get up" - The Poetess
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    Good points rou. I knew about the pics, but the sig-line limiting makes sense. Especially when they are longer than the whole thread!
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
    on Usenet and many other web communities, if you posted with a signature file longer than 4 lines of 72 characters each, you would be banned from membership or find your posts dropped from many servers.

the "rule" started back when server storage space was limited, but it makes sense more than ever when you've got thousands of people posting and more coming on. you might think that it's easy to add gigabytes of storage space, but it costs $$$$$$$$$, and that still isn't as easy to come by... icon_sad.gif
    My blog:

• MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey Ro-I saw your post earlier,but didn't have time to respond-I am sorry to hear about your job situation. icon_sad.gif
    Hang in there,sweetie!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • naturaltnaturalt Posts: 175Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I understand about the transfer of text, but I don't get it about the images. We aren't uploading images to the nc server, we're linking to other servers. Wouldn't using the href tag and the img src tag use the same bandwidth/data transfer of nc.com if both are accessing data that is on a different server? Can someone technically explain to me how that works?
    cloud9.gif
  • LovinCurlLovinCurl Posts: 5Registered Users
    The internet all around is messed up. A "worm" was released & is affecting the internet all over the world. Every site I go to is either very slow or it says it's experiencing technical difficulties. Just so you know it may be nothing particular to this site.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: LovinCurl ]
  • mrs.deedlemrs.deedle Posts: 28Registered Users
    I took Rou's advice and shortened my signature line.. I was a culprit!! OOPS!!!I changed it

shrug03.gif
    This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." ~Dalai Lama
  • emmalineemmaline Posts: 11Registered Users
    Wah! I need my curly fix! icon_biggrin.gif
  • MassCurlsMassCurls Posts: 272Registered Users
    The worm's not affecting the site - this has happened before when the servers get overloaded. The worm only affects sql server, and I'm sure that G&M installed the patch issued in 2001 that fixes the security hole being exploited by this worm (and the board would have died long before now if it was the worm - the internet's been affected by the worm since Saturday am).

I agree with Rou's recommendations.
    mrs. D - thank you! icon_smile.gif

if we all do our part to cut down the bandwith, it WILL help!

the worm problem, while mostly fixed, doesn't cause our crashes here. more often than not, i notice that Gretchen posts that she has to delete old messages from the server and then the problem vanishes - until we get too full again.

it's only a month since our last major crash - they used to be farther apart.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - keep your signature file to 4 lines!

hmmm... maybe that's what i should change MY sig file to read..... icon_biggrin.gif
    My blog:

• mrs.deedlemrs.deedle Posts: 28Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rouquinne:
    mrs. D - thank you! icon_smile.gif icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Problem Glad I could help!!
    This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." ~Dalai Lama
  • DeCurloDeCurlo Posts: 28Registered Users
    I get his on the non-hair discussion board:

Software error:
    Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF at /home/httpd/html/ubb/Forum8/forum_8.threads line 7347.
    For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
    [Mon Jan 27 15:51:26 2003] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF at /home/httpd/html/ubb/Forum8/forum_8.threads line 7347.
    For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You're such a party pooper icon_razz.gif
    Edited for my new & improved sig line!

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Sonrizas in CA ]
  • Diane MontaltoDiane Montalto Posts: 4Registered Users
    the board will not come up for me either...oh no icon_sad.gif
    Hair Type:2/3A Wavy Curlyish Hair,a little below shoulders
    Hair Vitamins:500mg Silica, 300mg Biotin 2xs daily
    Current Gel:dep 10 antidandruff and styling gel
    Current Mousse:pantene curl defining mousse
    Poo & Con:dove intense moisturizing
    Leave In Cond.:frizz ease
    Deep Treatment:queen helene hair cholestorol
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonrizas in CA:
    You're such a party pooper<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gretchen herself asked a couple of weeks ago that we NOT post pictures - only links to them!

and i'm not joking about the signature file thing. on some web communities, they limit the size of the file or don't allow them altogether.

some of them here are completely out of control - entire songs quoted, hair care routines listing ever product ever used, etc., etc., etc. if you're tired of typing out your routine or your list of products every time someone on the hair board asks you for it, do what i do - save it in your notepad and cut and paste it when necessary. it doesn't take more than a few keystrokes to do it and it saves expensive bandwith.

some people can probably even figure out how to program a function key to play it back as a macro!

we have to take some responsibility for care and maintenance of our community. if we don't, these crashes are going to become more and more frequent.

and then sig files WILL be disabled and you'll be stuck typing out that stuff on the hair board every time anyway! icon_biggrin.gif
    My blog:

Perhaps when the non-hair board is back up, you can post your suggestions. I have seen the moderators request that we post links to pics and refrain from words like this: *%#[email protected] (which I'm guilty of doing icon_redface.gif ) Not sure if everyone saw the message though. Perhaps repeating the bandwidth situation would help. I got your back though. icon_wink.gif
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonrizas in CA:
    Perhaps when the non-hair board is back up, you can post your suggestions. [...] Perhaps repeating the bandwidth situation would help. I got your back though. icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will! and thank you, sweetie!
    My blog:

• SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    Yikes!

I knew about the pictures, but was unaware about the loooong sig lines. Mine was a bit over 4 lines, so I am going to try and fix 'er up.

Once the other boards are back up and running, I definitely think that this topic should be posted on both the GD board and the NH board.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

icon_smile.gif
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
    Whoah! Anyone notice the hair board now has 14 topics? Whereas the non-hair board has 7348? Maybe I'm just reading too much into things...
  • Curlyq333Curlyq333 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Whoah! Anyone notice the hair board now has 14 topics? Whereas the non-hair board has 7348? Maybe I'm just reading too much into things...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I noticed that too. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif
    3a on top and 3b underneath, very thick and coarse
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Try now, everyone.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Yeah! I've been gone for 2 weeks & was bummed to see it down on my first day back!
    icon_sad.gif

Thanks Gretchen! icon_biggrin.gif
    Yes, thank you Gretchen!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Hey all,

Sorry I was so late in responding to the problems. I was busy with kidlets all day and didn't notice.
    I did indeed clean out some old posts and that seems to have helped. I probably need to whack some more, too.

Thanks, Rou, for the suggestions. Bandwidth is indeed so expensive.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MassCurlsMassCurls Posts: 272Registered Users
    I'm still getting errors when I respond to posts on the curly hair discussion board - same error as the original one.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: MassCurls ]
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gretchen:
    Thanks, Rou, for the suggestions. Bandwidth is indeed so expensive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my pleasure - anything to help!
    My blog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file