At wit's end with dry, snarly tangles

aussieginnieaussieginnie Registered Users Posts: 4
I am a botticelli curly, and so is my 6 year old daughter.

I am about to go off the deep end in frustration. Her hair (mid back length) is perpetually dry, snarly and a nightmare to comb, even with a ton of conditioner. I have tried CG methods (using Suave), Devacurl, and even tried Suave shampoo. The result is the same. Her hair won't wet properly, it's a nightmare to get knots out of, it flash dries, and the second I rinse the conditioner out, it's back to the prewash state.

My hair is having the same issue...

I am wondering if it could be high mineral content - our tubs have iron stains from faucet drips, and we get a lot of scale buildup on stuff. How do I deal with this? A household water softener is not an option - we are renting.

Help!

Comments

• poemaXXpoemaXX Registered Users Posts: 456 Curl Neophyte
    I am a botticelli curly, and so is my 6 year old daughter.

I am about to go off the deep end in frustration. Her hair (mid back length) is perpetually dry, snarly and a nightmare to comb, even with a ton of conditioner. I have tried CG methods (using Suave), Devacurl, and even tried Suave shampoo. The result is the same. Her hair won't wet properly, it's a nightmare to get knots out of, it flash dries, and the second I rinse the conditioner out, it's back to the prewash state.

My hair is having the same issue...

I am wondering if it could be high mineral content - our tubs have iron stains from faucet drips, and we get a lot of scale buildup on stuff. How do I deal with this? A household water softener is not an option - we are renting.

Help!

Hard water could be a potential issue – but have you considered your hair might be protein sensitive? Those issues sound very similar – do a search on the boards for more info re: protein sensitivity and how to find products that work. HTH!
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• Ml001Ml001 Registered Users Posts: 354
    +1 protein. I would start there.

Hard water can cause problems as well but that usually results in a waxy feel, I think.
    remember, with all advice or suggestions for your hair, YMMV!! :read2:
    My hair:
    2b wavy, medium texture, low porosity, med-high density. Protein finicky.
    My routine:
    Cleansing: DCNP, every 4-5 days (occasionally use CJ cleansers).
    RO: CJSC, occasionally use JCDC
    LI: KCKT or CJSL
    Gel: KCCC, CJCIAB for 2nd day hair (sometimes third)

Heat is my friend: warm water rinses, steam caps, and diffuse dry. I love CLU cloths and my Denman.
  • hairy situationhairy situation Registered Users Posts: 56 Curl Neophyte
    Of product, oils, etc on hair. That can cause similar problems.
  • rainboerainboe Registered Users Posts: 284 Curl Neophyte
    Also, suave conditioners aren't super moisturizing, so maybe her hair needs a heavier conditioner and leave in conditioner.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Registered Users Posts: 348
    If your water leaves stains that could be why. I know when I tried to wash my hair in New York it was all bad because I live in Memphis and we have soft water so my hair freaked and spent the rest of the trip in a bun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file