Flexi rods for 3a 3b hair?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Has anyone tried these for looser pattern curls? I've seen good reviews from people with 4a/b hair, but my curls are 3a with some 3b.

If you have that type hair and you've tried them, what sort of results have you had?

Also, are they hard to manoeuver? I'm only average at manipulating my hair.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• hippiechikhippiechik Posts: 40Registered Users
    I bought about 40 of these in three sizes at Sally's. I tried them in a few different ways - damp hair, sopping wet hair, air dry, hood dryer, sleeping on them. They are a little difficult to get the hang of . . . I believe I am average or above in my experience with using hair tools and they were pretty challenging for me. But I got them in and they looked to be pretty well done. However, I did not like the result on any of the experiments. I have a few pics but do not know how to post them here. My hair seemed frizzy and wiry not smooth and defined as I expected. I returned them to Sally's for a refund. I would recommend trying them. Just get them from a store where you can return them if they don't work for you.
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    yes!
    I have 10 of the purple ones from Sallys (the largest ones they have, and I still think they're pretty small.)
    I've used them on slightly damp, combed out 2nd day hair with good results. My only problem is getting them to dry completely before I leave for class. My results have been "curled" looking hair, as if I'd curled it with an iron. My hair is definitely more voluminous but it makes a really pretty pony.
    It takes a little while to get the hang of, as far as being sure the hair is curling away from your face, but it's not bad at all. My suggestion is to get way more than 10 (I have super dense hair) and only very slightly mist your hair with water (and comb it out).

I'll try and post pics next time I do this, probably in a few days :)
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Hippiechik and SaraNoH. I'm still on the fence about these so it's helpful to read your comments.

I'm watching a lot on Youtube and seeing different techniques. The main thing I want is for my hair to look a little less messy and the curls to be a little more defined. I'm still experimenting - the journey goes on!

Have a wonderful 4th :occasion9: and thanks again for chiming in. It's amazing how much I still learn after years on this website.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    Pictures!
    I put in my flexirod things this morning and here's the result (better than normal too!). All I did was section off my hair, lightly spray it with some watered down LI to detangle, then wrapped it up. A few hours later this was the result.
    Some of the curls are still tubular, but I just gently finger comb them and separate my layers. By the end of the day they wont be so voluminous, but it works as a great base for other, pretty updos and such (without heat! yes!)
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • Libra_MoonLibra_Moon Posts: 255Registered Users
    I bought some a few months ago...finally decided to try them, on my extensions, after watching MANY YouTube videos...uploadfromtaptalk1350872902699.jpguploadfromtaptalk1350872964186.jpg...more pics tomorrow

Oh. I only have 2b/c hair with maybe a few 3a curls on the very best of hair days.
    Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App with accidental obvious autocorrect errors throughout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing out Pixie since 5-10-2008 with some trims and anxiety chops along the way...
    hair details: BSL(c)/MBL(s) - 2b/2c (MPD if truth be told) - f/m, iii, porosity med-low.
    Please feel free to follow my FB blog page as I go through Cosmetology school abd beyond
    what else do you need/want to know? Blame all spelling mistakes on me, my fat fingers or autocorrect.
    oh yeah, and I'm newly gluten free...thanks to celiac
  • Libra_MoonLibra_Moon Posts: 255Registered Users
    Ohh, laa, laa. I love these... uploadfromtaptalk1350904434359.jpguploadfromtaptalk1350904460001.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App with accidental obvious autocorrect errors throughout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing out Pixie since 5-10-2008 with some trims and anxiety chops along the way...
    hair details: BSL(c)/MBL(s) - 2b/2c (MPD if truth be told) - f/m, iii, porosity med-low.
    Please feel free to follow my FB blog page as I go through Cosmetology school abd beyond
    what else do you need/want to know? Blame all spelling mistakes on me, my fat fingers or autocorrect.
    oh yeah, and I'm newly gluten free...thanks to celiac

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file