Whipped shea butter and itchy scalp!!!!

jazzy curlzjazzy curlz Curl NeophytePosts: 47Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello all!

I've recently started making my own homemade whipped shea butter with added oils and while my hair LOVES it, my scalp has been itching something fierce around day 2-3 of intial application. So far I've made two batches and added different oils to each and I have the same itchy scalp.

My ingredients:
2 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tbsp of each: jajoba oil, evoo, castor oil, glycerin, sweet almond oil, avocoado oil
vit e (approx 10-15 drops)
one batch I added some vanilla/coconut oil

Any ideas or suggestions??? Anyone experience this???

Comments

• nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    You may be allergic to shea.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • 4gyrlmommy4gyrlmommy Posts: 1Registered Users
    Ummmmm...Maybe 1) your adding too much shea and it's beginning to build up. 2) maybe adding a few drops of pure tea tree oil to your conditioner will help. It works well to fight off dandruff causing fungus and different viruses. It also helps keep your pores clear. Hope this helps. I really say #1 because I got really happy one day and melted ALOT of shea butter and decided, within myself, that I was going to use it as a "deep conditioner" and as you may have guessed that did NOT work out for me :laughing6: My scalp has never itched so bad! It was terrible. So for now on I make sure I use my Shea sparingly.
  • Akua WoodAkua Wood Posts: 23Registered Users
    Hello all!

I've recently started making my own homemade whipped shea butter with added oils and while my hair LOVES it, my scalp has been itching something fierce around day 2-3 of intial application. So far I've made two batches and added different oils to each and I have the same itchy scalp.

My ingredients:
    2 tbsp of coconut oil
    1 tbsp of each: jajoba oil, evoo, castor oil, glycerin, sweet almond oil, avocoado oil
    vit e (approx 10-15 drops)
    one batch I added some vanilla/coconut oil

Any ideas or suggestions??? Anyone experience this???

You did not mention how much shea you are using.

It is also difficult to know how much vitamin E was used since you mentioned drops. Vitamin E is quite thick.

It is always best to weigh your ingredients as some should be used at lower percentages.
  • beelee1417beelee1417 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I cannot use any of the Shea Moisture products, as they make my scalp itchy. I never thought about being allergic to shea butter until I used the Cantu shea curling cream and connected the dots. So, yeah, after some research, I found that I might be allergic. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file