Herpes question

mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
If someone has genital herpes but not oral, can the person with genital herpes pass it along as oral/mouth herpes?
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes. The only difference between genital herpes and oral herpes is the location.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Yes. It can also go the other way pretty easily. I get cold sores and I stay away from Mr. V.P.'s bathing suit area when I feel like I'm getting one (which is not too often, thankfully).

You can also get herpes in the eye!
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    But what if the second party (with oral herpes) hasn't put their mouth on the first party's genitals (with genital herpes)? Can it still manifest that way, as genital to oral?
    3c
  • KCLKCL Posts: 1,663Registered Users
    mandyv wrote:
    But what if the second party (with oral herpes) hasn't put their mouth on the first party's genitals (with genital herpes)? Can it still manifest that way, as genital to oral?

It could be transfered from genitals to hand to mouth accidentally. Is that what you mean?
    If there were more people on earth who desired their own happiness more than the unhappiness of others we would have a paradise ~ Bertrand Russell
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mandyv wrote:

Like, say you had sex with someone who had genital herpes? Could it show up as oral herpes? No, but I wouldn't rule out that it could possibly be transferred through objects, or hand transfer, or something like that during sex.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I think it's possible, but there would need to be some kind of contact ... like genital-hand-mouth or something like that. Was there any sexual contact at all? Did the person with oral herpes use the person with genital herpes' towel to wash their face? The virus isn't airborne, so it can only be transmitted through touch.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    YES!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Yes. It can also go the other way pretty easily. I get cold sores and I stay away from Mr. V.P.'s bathing suit area when I feel like I'm getting one (which is not too often, thankfully).

You can also get herpes in the eye!

True. And it can be transferred via hand contact. I got a herpetic infection of my eye after I lent my umbrella to a co-worker who had a cold sore. I have a permanent closure of the tear duct because of that infection, and my eye waters all the time. Annoying.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Eilonwy wrote:
    Yes. The only difference between genital herpes and oral herpes is the location.

Not true. There are two strains - HSV-1, and HSV-2. The first is commonly known as cold sores. The second, genital herpes. If someone with a cold sore of HSV-1 performs (for example) oral sex on someone else, they can pass HSV-1 to the other person, but instead of being oral, it would be genital. They are still two different strains. The same could happen with passing HSV-2 from the genitals to the mouth.
    Either can also be passed onto other places on the body as well, commonly in the eyes.

http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html

• SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote:

Yep.
    Thanks, Munchy, that makes sense to me. And thanks everybody else. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person I know who admits to having it, but statistics say that's not so. :oops:
    3c
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    mandyv wrote:
    Thanks, Munchy, that makes sense to me. And thanks everybody else. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person I know who admits to having it, but statistics say that's not so. :oops:

It's a common misconception that the two strains are one and the same. (From that site) Oral herpes, an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus, is estimated to be present in 50 to 80 percent of the American adult population. 20 percent, over 50 million people, are infected with genital herpes, also caused by the herpes simplex virus, and the majority of these cases may be unaware they even have it. Studies show that more than 500,000 Americans are diagnosed with genital herpes each year, and the largest increase is occurring in young teens.

Anyone that has EVER had a cold sore in their lives technically has herpes (HSV-1). Even if you have never had one, the infection can be dormant in your body for years, if not forever.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Thanks, Munchy, that makes sense to me. And thanks everybody else. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person I know who admits to having it, but statistics say that's not so.

You're not the only one mandyv, I've admitted it to a few friends and the people on this board, as well as any partners I have (obviously). I wish more people were open about it, so that it wouldn't carry such a bad stigma.
    :)

In a way it's been kind of a blessing because the vast majority of people I've told, like 4 our of 5 or 5 out of 6 have stayed in a relationship with me and I've appreciated that more than anything. And I didn't pass it along.
    3c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file