Chopped All-Stars and how do you like your meats?

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I think they should announce the charity at the beginning and never reveal them to the judges. Do you think some people could be eliminated not so much because of their food but because of the charity chosen?

Also, what meats do you like rare, medium, and well? I'm a medium well to well (for everything) sort of person. Rare meat makes me fill yucky.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Posts: 1,728Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I honestly think that show was rigged like a lot of the FN shows and reality shows in general. I'm asssuming everyone who wanted to watched this already because it was on awhile ago (i saw the re-runs on last night) so I'll "spoil"

Like, really? That dude's kid just happened to be there? Did they also have Anne's nephew backstage in case she won? I freakin' doubt it.

As for meat, I like my steaks medium-rare or rare.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I don't watch the show, but I'm sure the outcome was known from the get-go.

Meat:
    Duck breast medium rare to medium and not a bit more. It's really not good past that.
    Steak, it depends on the cut, but mostly medium and medium rare.
    Lean cuts of pork at medium --- a lot of people don't realize they aren't eating well-done pork, but medium pork. Well done is higher than the 145-150 that you want to aim for to maintain juicy meat. Basically, medium on pork doesn't look like medium on beef.

Lamb I just don't care for all that much, so I don't eat it very often, but medium rare to medium.
    I like burgers medium to medium well. The meat is mushy and the fat doesn't really render at lower temperatures. If I want medium rare beef, that's what steaks are for.

I grew up eating well done meat, so I get how hard eating it at lower temps is, but when you have no choice but to eat it as prepared and it's medium rare (like at work or when dining out and having a tasting menu), you eat it and realize how tasty it is cooked at that temp.
    I don't like the spongy texture that comes with too rare meat sometimes, though, and I hate a cold center (which isn't an issue with medium rare, but rare, which I don't like). That's what I mean about the cut of the steak making a difference.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I honestly think that show was rigged like a lot of the FN shows and reality shows in general. I'm asssuming everyone who wanted to watched this already because it was on awhile ago (i saw the re-runs on last night) so I'll "spoil"

Like, really? That dude's kid just happened to be there
    ? Did they also have Anne's nephew backstage in case she won? I freakin' doubt it.

As for meat, I like my steaks medium-rare or rare.

LOL I was thinking the same thing!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Saria wrote: »
    I don't watch the show, but I'm sure the outcome was known from the get-go.

Meat:
    Duck breast medium rare to medium and not a bit more. It's really not good past that.
    Steak, it depends on the cut, but mostly medium and medium rare.
    Lean cuts of pork at medium --- a lot of people don't realize they aren't eating well-done pork, but medium pork. Well done is higher than the 145-150 that you want to aim for to maintain juicy meat. Basically, medium on pork doesn't look like medium on beef.

Lamb I just don't care for all that much, so I don't eat it very often, but medium rare to medium.
    I like burgers medium to medium well. The meat is mushy and the fat doesn't really render at lower temperatures. If I want medium rare beef, that's what steaks are for.

I grew up eating well done meat, so I get how hard eating it at lower temps is, but when you have no choice but to eat it as prepared and it's medium rare (like at work or when dining out and having a tasting menu), you eat it and realize how tasty it is cooked at that temp.
    I don't like the spongy texture that comes with too rare meat sometimes, though, and I hate a cold center (which isn't an issue with medium rare, but rare, which I don't like). That's what I mean about the cut of the steak making a difference.

I've had medium steaks. They weren't bad. The cut definitely does make a difference. I prepared a steak medium rare for myself before...it was good, too, but I can't get over how it looks. A guy I dated loved rare steaks, and a friend of his ate them blue. Now that is gag worthy.

I don't eat pork except for the rare bacon, pepperoni, or prosciutto.

Last night they were preparing a lot of game. I've never had duck, and I'm not really interested. But the venison had me salivating....until they prepared it rare. No one liked it rare on that show either. All the game I've ever had was well done. Someone on the show also prepared rabbit kidneys. Yeah, I couldn't see myself eating that. Quail prepared in any way is as good as eaten. I love quail. I pretty much grew up eating wild game and beef.

Anything less than medium well for a burger is (for me) not going to be eaten.

I have never had rare lamb. On a whim I purchased some lamb chops recently. I prepared them well done, and I have to admit....that was over-cooked. Like way over-cooked. Won't do that again.

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    But duck is awesome! I mean duck confit is one of the most delicious things ever. Duck breast is great, too, but duck confit is one of those foods that everyone who has it just can't resist it. It's one of those "must try at least once in your life" foods (assuming you eat meat).
    Venison loin is lean and it should be cooked mid-rare because it dries out. I don't like venison, though. Way too gamey.
    Rabbit is delicious and mild. Rabbit kidneys are probably very mild. You'd sear them quickly to not overcook.
    I'd give up all meat except pork if I could only have one. Easily.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Like, really? That dude's kid just happened to be there? Did they also have Anne's nephew backstage in case she won? I freakin' doubt it.

Last season's championship they had multiple families there, they showed them backstage.

For meat I can only do medium rare for beef or lamb, medium for pork. Well done meat is too flavorless, dry, tough and chewy for me.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Posts: 1,728Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rileyb wrote: »

Last season's championship they had multiple families there, they showed them backstage.

For meat I can only do medium rare for beef or lamb, medium for pork. Well done meat is too flavorless, dry, tough and chewy for me.

I must have dozed off during that part of Chopped All-Stars. I only remember seeing the kid.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You put one dot of Sriracha on my plate... My palate is blown, BLOWN!!

(it kills me when they say that - Jeffery Z. in particular can't handle anything with any heat /at all/. On the other hand, I kinda crush on Aarón)

I like my steak medium rare/rare (not blue though). Burgers med/medium rare (if they grind their meat in house).
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    steaks, good cuts of beef roasts - med rare. hamburgers med to med well. lamb chops-medium rareish :) pork chops-just barely not pink. B always tells me how good my pork chops are, how moist and I said that is because I do not cook them until they are like a brick.

I have not had venison in forever-not a fan. I need to try duck.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file