HELP! mask burned my face!!

luvs2sinnngggluvs2sinnnggg Posts: 111Registered Users
I was using the clean and clear blackhead mask and kept it on for the usual around 7 minutes(the box says 5 but that never does anything). I took it off and applied my toner and moisturizer. my mom looked at me about a half hour later and she was like "why is your face burned?!" and I'm freaking out!! half of my face is bright red! I caked on some aloe and keep reapplying but is there anything else I can do? on the plus side, when this goes away I will have baby smooth skin there lol but I want it to heal quickly!!

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    when i've been over zealous and burned my face i've found that aloe vera gel helps. if it's a really bad scabby chemical type burn i'll use neosporin (that has zinc in it) just on that burned spot
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • luvs2sinnngggluvs2sinnnggg Posts: 111Registered Users
    yeahhh.. it's already looking better and it will most likely look totally normal tomorrow. thanks!
  • MissMamaMissMama Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm an esthetician and I have a lot of clients who do this. Sometimes less really is more. Whenever using a product that has any kind of acid/chemical it is so so so important to follow the directions. When you leave a product on for too long or use it more than recommended over time you could end up over-sensitizing your skin. Your skin could become red/inflamed, dry, and even flaky...sometimes the skin might even try to compensate for the damage by producing even more oil and the issue you were trying to treat in the first place can become much much worse. If it's still red I would recommend skipping soap all together as you dont want to dry it out more. Get some Aveeno oatmeal and mix it with ice cold water. Use a washrag to do gentle cold compresses on the inflamed area. Rinse with cool water. Skip the toner. Apply the aloe and follow with moisturizer. And LOTS OF SUNSCREEN!
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MissMama is right - I had a bad experience with an AHA serum that was too strong for me and had one of the worst reactions ever. It didn't manifest right away either - it took about 2 weeks of use of the product for this bad burn to show up. I had to do daily homemade masks with a mix of ground-up oatmeal, honey and aloe vera at least once a day, plus applying my shea butter combo afterward to help. Sometimes I would have to get up at night and do another mask as the itching and burning were so bad but the mask and the shea butter, etc. REALLY helped. It took awhile before my skin got back to normal really. But I have reactive skin in general, and had no business using a leave-on AHA product in the first place. It was fully 6 months before I could exfoliate again, and almost a year before I could tolerate a sunblock. To this day, I have to be careful with sunblocks, as most chemically-based ones just burn my face, so I look for ones that are mostly physically-bases which are better for reactive skins anyway.
    But definitely, in the line of active products, more is not necessarily better. These days, since there's such a variety of products out there all promising to be the next HG, it is very easy for people to get drawn into basically conducting science experiments on their faces. I see this all the time over on the MUA skin care board where there a lot of young women who are TERRIFIED of the slightest sign of aging so they pile on the stuff and then wonder why their skin is acting up LOL!
    I'm not an esthetician myself, but I have learned from my own personal experiences and some research in general. Hope all this helps!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Wow! I know this is an old thread but have others had this problem occur? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • tolilneantolilnean Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 2018
    Wow! I know this is an old thread but have others had this problem occur? 

• bulmabriefbulmabrief Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Just happened to me!! I'm gonna try soaking two chamomile teabags in cool water for 5 minutes and then place them on my face where it's red. 
  • Maximus1107Maximus1107 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Just happened to me too about 5 months ago with a charcoal mask. About 3 minutes on & immediately felt my cheeks starting to burn so I immediately too it off. I thought as anyone else it would subside & go back to normal but it is now the middle of March & my cheeks are left looking bright red blotchy with little bumps that appeared. I am at odds now what to do as it looks like I’m stuck living my life life I have real bad rosacea with pinhead bumps/rash & mind you I do not have sensitive skin what so ever, ughh! So, Think I’ll start by writing the company. Never again, will I use a mask of any type! Not worth the life long Repercussions! 
  • jasclas07jasclas07 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    literally going through it now from not using african black soap correctly. been using aloe vera gel and using vitamin e oil with ambi dark spot cream. to cleanse ive been using a cleansing oil
  • lanalinkslanalinks Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi! I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm experiencing same problems. I used a clay face mask and it burned my skin. Been a month now and it looks like I have pigmentation patches on my skin, but looking in a magnifying mirror I can see its really dry and my pores are exposed and white heads all over. How is your skin doing today and how long did it take for you to get back to looking and feeling normal?
    Hi! I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm experiencing same problems. I used a clay face mask and it burned my skin. Been a month now and it looks like I have pigmentation patches on my skin, but looking in a magnifying mirror I can see its really dry and my pores are exposed and white heads all over. How is your skin doing today and how long did it take for you to get back to looking and feeling normal?
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Years ago, I severely burned my facial skin with a chemical process. My skin was so sore and burned that when droplets of water from the shower hit my face it almost made me cry. For 3-4 days after that, I made a mask of raw honey mixed with aloe vera gel (to give it more easy/gentle spread-ability). I did that each night when I got home from work, and left it on for 30 minutes. Then I very gently washed it off since I could barely touch my skin without pain. That really worked well for me.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file