Weight loss and exercise

munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I went to a gym for about 10 years. It closed. Then I went to Curves for about a year and a half. I enjoyed Curves because it got me doing something but I didn't see any results from it. I haven't done anything for the past couple years. I am 56. Since turning 40 and then in my 50's going through menopause, I have gone from a size 6 to an 8 to a 10. I had breast cancer two years ago and think I used it as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and not pay any attention to my weight. I was starting to feel like my weight was getting out of control over the holidays so I asked for Nutrisystem for Xmas (hey at our age what do we really need and that was what I wanted). I started on Jan. 2. When I started eating Nutrisystem, I also started back on the treadmill for 25 min every day and then 10-15 min working with weights. I was really faithful until Super Bowl Sunday (which I had already told myself I was going to splurge). I only put a couple pounds on from my overeating that day so out of guilt I upped the treadmill to 30 min a day.

I am right now after about 6 weeks down 16 lbs. I faithfully do my exercises every day (I tape General Hospital and watch it then. . . makes the time go faster). I will admit some of the Nutrisystem food is good, some OK and some awful. But it is serving its purpose. I do go off the food on weekends if we go out to eat but I really watch my portions and what I eat. I have had no bread since Jan. 2. As much as I thought I would miss it, I am getting used to not eating it. I also have not had any extra alcoholic beverages. . . except Super Bowl Sunday.

I saw Judge Judy on Ellen a couple weeks ago. Ellen asked her if she worked out 3 days a week. Judge Judy said "at your age you can work out 3 days a week but at my age you have to work out every day." I think there is a lot of truth to that. I don't work out every day but do go through my routine 5 days a week. I firmly believe as far as weight loss that dieting (at least watching portions and calories) and exercise are both necessary to achieve any results.

I plan to get off the Nutrisystem at the end of Feb. I have learned a lot about portions from it. The first day I opened one of their cereal packets I realized I normally made a bowl big enough for 3 people! I tried my first turkey dog and realized it tasted great. I also have learned to look for food high in protein.

We go to Cancun for a week in April. I am so hoping I will fit into some shorts and capris I couldn't the last few years. I also plan to try to watch my portions on a continuing basis to keep my weight down.

Just wanted to share this with everyone. I guess there is hope even after menopause!

I also should add the oncologist always tells you to watch your weight because there is a link between being overweight and cancer. I think that has been an extra motivator for me also. Once I got over feeling sorry for myself because I had cancer I realized one of my best precautions to keep it from coming back was to keep my weight down.
3b/c

Comments

• rushirb55rushirb55 Posts: 146Registered Users
    I don't do diets anymore because you usually always gain it back and more. I read a very good book by Debra Waterhouse called, "Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell" which I found to be one of the most useful and informative written books I have read in a long time. I bought mine off Amazon. She really knows what she is talking about. I think all perimenopausal and menopausal women should read this book.
    2C-3A??? Currently using Curly Q Milkshake, 3-minute Aussie Miracle, using non-sulphate shampoos, MopTop Pomade, Boots curl creme, always looking for that next miracle product for my hair! My PJ is never satisfied.
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    I've been reading that being overweight also leads to diabetes. A friend of mine that had started putting on some pounds was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. This has spurred her and her hubby onto Weight Watchers.

It has spurred me and my fiance to cut way back on sugar. We are also cutting back on portion sizes, diligently trying to exercise at least 3 times a weeks and all those workouts include some weight lifting intervals.

I really think that after 40 the metabolism slows down. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to but it's so hard to lose even a lb.

Another good book to read is "You on a Diet" by Dr. Oz and Dr. Rosen. I learned a lot about digestion from this one.

Congrats on your 16lb weight loss munchkin! That's wonderful and I'm envious! I'd love to lose 15 myself.

And a little side note - I used to work for a natural foods company and we used to get e-mails all the time about how small a cereal portion was. The most common line was "That doesn't even begin to fill my cereal bowl".
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A cereal portion is small, but surprisingly when you get used to it and have a little fruit with it, it is enough.

I read where your hormones help burn calories and that when you go through menopause your body burns close to 400 calories less a month; i.e., why your metabolism slows. I guess a little exercise to burn those extra calories is necessary.

I know you can put weight back on when you get off a diet. I do think Nutrisystem has taught me a lot about what a portion size is and what kind of food to eat. I am hoping I can put a lot of what I have learned to use even when I get off of it.
    3b/c
    A cereal portion is small, but surprisingly when you get used to it and have a little fruit with it, it is enough.

I read where your hormones help burn calories and that when you go through menopause your body burns close to 400 calories less a month; i.e., why your metabolism slows. I guess a little exercise to burn those extra calories is necessary.

I know you can put weight back on when you get off a diet. I do think Nutrisystem has taught me a lot about what a portion size is and what kind of food to eat. I am hoping I can put a lot of what I have learned to use even when I get off of it.
    3b/c
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi munchkin! It sounds like you're doing great with your fitness plan! Are you doing a full-body workout in those 10-15 minutes? And please, please, DON'T beat yourself up because you're "only" exercising 5 times per week - believe me, at any age, that is PLENTY if you are working hard enough on those days. Anyone who says you have to work out seven days a week is just out there, IMO, because you need a couple of days a week to recuperate, otherwise you'll burn out and not want to train at all! On your rest days, and everyone needs 'em do lower-level stuff like walks, going out dancing, yoga if you want.
    There's alot of negative stuff out there about how women can't get into shape after menopause, and it's almost expected that we can't, but it is possible - it just takes more discipline, a longer time, being stricter with one's diet than formerly, and very efficient and intense with workouts. At our age, there's no room for junky processed foods, especially white flour and other refined carbohydrates, as well as alcohol in any form. There are many delicious foods that are largely UNREFINED carbos(fruits, vegetables, whole-grain stuff)that serve anyone much better, and a bit more lean protein sources and healthy fats.
    But back to the exercise - if you are on a solid weight-training program that will help you in so many ways:
    - building much needed muscle
    - improves metabolism from increased muscle tissue. which over a period of time, esp. when careful with diet will result in fat loss.
    - strengthening bones, hugely important at our age
    - stimulates the body to manufacture a bit of its own natural testosterone as well as growth hormone, which helps with the feeling of general well-being, strength, ability to build some muscle, and improvement of sex drive in women. The amount that is stimulated depends on the individual's biochemical makeup, but in general women only manufacture a little bit of testosterone anyway, but that little bit can make a difference. At menopause, often a woman's testosterone levels get even lower, resulting in reduced muscle tone, lack of sex drive and energy, etc. This is one reason why weight-training is so beneficial. But don't worry about getting bulky, very few women have the genetics to do so, and the truth is that it is hard physical work over a period of time for women to put on a few pounds of lean tissue, aka muscle.
    Last but not least, post menopause, since the body tends to want to hang onto fat as it makes hormones, again, the need to be stricter with diet(but do eat enough to fuel those workouts!), and not be afraid to be intense with one's workouts after one gets a basic foundation going on. Do get that basic foundation first, so your body will safely withstand turning it up several notches. If one is in general good health and doesn't have physical limitations that would preclude exercise, there's no reason why mature women can't train hard. With that in mind, 3 days a week of lifting and cardiovascular exercise(to turn this up several notches, interval training is excellent!)and a couple of other days of cardio only. Leave at least a day in between weight-training sessions, your body needs to recover and do its muscle-repair work.
    I have had good results over the last few months with the above - I have only lost a couple of pounds or so(but I don't have much to lose anyway - I just want to improve my body composition), but I'm much tighter, can see some definition and shape happening, I'm down one notch on my belt, and my pants are looser. My stamina and strength have come back in a big way too(I had a long layoff from the gym due to living in the hinterlands - had only a very basic weight set-up at home, and walking long distances wasn't intense enough for me). I'm aiming to be in even better shape by my 60th birthday in June!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Boy, can I relate. I am 9.5 pounds over my ideal weight and I can't seem to take it off! I do work out pretty reguraly, not every day though. My problem is junk food and portion size. Hubby and I have been measuring out our cereal in the mornings for a couple of years now and it is amazing how much more you eat when you don't measure.

munhkin - turns out our trip to the Yucutan is the week before yours, so I want to lose it before then so I can relax on the trip. I just recommited last week (and then of course got sick so I couldn't work out as much as planned and this week besides V day I have an extra dinner out and extra lunch out). I decided to reward myself when I lose the weight. I've never done that before. I want a Burberry polo that I saw at Bloomie's, it is outrageously expensive, but if I take the weight off and KEEP it off for at least 10 days I am going to get it. I figure if I can do it for 10 days straight then I can do it forever and if I don't I'll feel guilty every time I want to wear my reward.

My mother tried nutrisystem and hated it so much she sold hers on e-bay.
    sdcurly, I rate the Nutrisystem as some of it is good, some ok, and some awful. Have found once I weeded out the eggs from the breakfasts and added more cereal and pancakes into my second order they are OK. Lunches and desserts are pretty good, but some of the dinners have been awful. I just tell myself it is for a short while and is serving its purpose. I am eating a lot of vegetables and fruits which is good and drinking a lot more water. I figured if I spent the money I would make myself eat the food.

A woman in the building where I work just asked me as we were leaving tonight how much weight I had lost because she really could see it. That made eating the Nutrisystem worthwhile. I have really noticed a big difference in my slacks. I think things like this motivate you even more; at least they do me.

I am hoping by the time I get to Cancun I will be in shorts I couldn't even get into last summer. I have felt so good doing this that I even mentioned to my husband now might be the time for my QuickLift facelift. I may take the steps over the next few months to check into it. Maybe I will be a new me this year!!

Too bad, sdcurly, we won't be in Mexico at the same time and could meet up. I am starting to get excited about going. . . maybe it's the cold and snow here. Has not been a bad winter but I am ready to wear summer clothes and have my summer look.
    3b/c
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    munchkin wrote:

Munchkin,
    Congrats on your weight loss and healthy choices.
    Once or twice a year I buy a few weeks of Nutrisystem to re-teach myself about portion size. I find it very helpful (and most of it is quite edible :)).
    I can't seem to get myself to exercise regularly, so my eating habits are really important.
    One thing that helps me with portions - I use small dishes, bowls, and utensils. I use a small oleo tub for my cereal. A portion looks much larger when it's in small dish.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I can't seem to get myself to exercise regularly, so my eating habits are really important.

That's because we aren't nagging eachother everyday still. :wink:
    Come on Jeepy lets get our old butts going!
    Hahahaa I probably caused you to burn 200 calories at the shock of seeing this!
    I've read that eating right is more important than working out when it comes to losing and keeping weight off. Unfortunately I am better with the working out than eating right.

I have not lost even 1 pound in the past week even though I increased my exercising and I thought I was cutting back a bit on the amount of food I am eating. I will just keep plugging away.

As far as Nutrisystem, it must help a lot of people or it wouldn't be so big. My mother is like me and likes to eat junk.

munchkin - that's great that you've lost so much weight. If you do the facelift be sure to let us know. I don't think I can do it even though I would love to have everything lifted and tightened.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Someone I know recently tested as pre-diabetic and she's not what I'd consider overweight. And she eats a very healthy diet with little processed sugar and fat. Her doctor told her that exercise was critical; when you don't exercise, your blood sugar builds up.

I'm pretty good about exercising but the pounds are creeping up. Gah. I did the eating disorder thing as a youngster so I tend to stay away from diets and plans, I get too obsessive over them and lose my focus (which is to be healthy, not to be the world's most competitive dieter). I've seen women go through eating disorders during menopause, too...and men, when they turn a critical age, like 40!

Anyway, I really admire everyone who can get their exercise in and maintain a healthy weight and mindset, no matter what age we are!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    curlie3 wrote:

That's because we aren't nagging eachother everyday still. :wink:
    Come on Jeepy lets get our old butts going!
    Hahahaa I probably caused you to burn 200 calories at the shock of seeing this!

EEK! Are you following me?! :) Yes, we need to start motivating each other to get up off our butts!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You know I am!!! :wink:

We need to keep our hourglass shapes from turning into sandbags :shock: work it...work it!

Ughhh I hate exercise anymore. Unless it is walking the dogs.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlie3 wrote:
    Ughhh I hate exercise anymore. Unless it is walking the dogs.

me too--cannot stand the gym, weights, treadmills, anything indoors. so i walk my dogs for over 4 hrs a day, sometimes 8 miles thru woods and over mountains. i swim almost every day too 1/2 hr. i know i should do some pilates or weight stuff but cannot face it yet. monday i hiked from 10am to 4pm. now that's a day well spent. i eat pretty much what i want but could lose about 15 more lbs to be at good weight. lucky i work at night :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    Quit yer braggin' banjo! Yer makin' "some" of us look bad (while I sit here on the couch as usual). :wink:
    Seriously tho, good for you. I'm jealous.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Quit yer braggin' banjo! Yer makin' "some" of us look bad (while I sit here on the couch as usual). :wink:
    Seriously tho, good for you. I'm jealous.

you may be on the couch but you're probably much thinner than I am! come visit me on your way to devachan and I'll show you our ramapo mountains--peak bag the 1000 footers!! we're just 1 hr north of NYC.
    banjo
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    Well, it's over 2 months later and here is an update. I only have a little of the Nutrisystem food left. . . mostly dinners because we do go out on weekends (though I watch what I order and how much I eat and drink). I still get on the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week for about 30-40 min, then exercise for about 10. I got on the scale this morning and I am down 24 lbs!! I am at a weight I have not seen since I hit menopause 6 years ago. I went shopping yesterday for summer clothes and bought size 8 shorts (have pretty much been a solid 10 for a few years). All the tops I got were mediums. . . large looked too large (yeah!) (for some reason I went from being flat chested to having boobs when I put weight on).

For breakfast now I eat 3/4 cup Special K with 1/4 cup milk and drink 1/3 cup Lite Cranberry juice, 8 oz of milk, and a cup of coffee. For lunch am going to either a protein bar, soup, or turkey dog (without bun), etc. with raw veggies and drink 8 oz of milk. Still have my afternoon snack of low fat yogurt and fruit. After Nutrisystem dinners gone, going to Lean Cuisine or low fat pieces of meat and a vegetable and fruit. They aren't cheap but we have started buying the bags of snacks that are only 100 calories (I have to have an evening snack). At Sam's Club we found oreo crisps and another cookie crisp (can't think of the name) and cheetos, doritos and sun chips all in 100 calorie bags. We didn't buy them but I also saw where they now make popcorn in small 100 calorie bags. Of course, I have been trying to drink 8 glasses of water a day too.

I am going to go thru summer clothes today for our Mexico trip in April. Am hoping some of the capris that have been too small for a couple years will fit. I am so excited. I just have to know when to stop. I realize at my age I don't want to be too thin (never thought I would have that problem again)!!

Anyway, just wanted to share with everyone.
    3b/c
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    Congrats munchkin - that's very inspiring!

Enjoy your trip to Mexico!
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.

Thanks!

Can't believe how many shorts and capris I can get into that I couldn't the last few years. I have washed and ironed them all for my trip so now I have quite a selection. I also tried on a gorgeous silk lavendar sheath I wore to my niece's wedding in 2002. It has been too tight for a few years. It fits!! Am going to get it cleaned for a wedding we have in June. Almost feels like I am getting a bunch of new clothes now that I am getting back into some I haven't worn for so long.
    3b/c
    Congrats munchkin!!
    munchkin wrote:

Thanks!

Can't believe how many shorts and capris I can get into that I couldn't the last few years. I have washed and ironed them all for my trip so now I have quite a selection. I also tried on a gorgeous silk lavendar sheath I wore to my niece's wedding in 2002. It has been too tight for a few years. It fits!! Am going to get it cleaned for a wedding we have in June. Almost feels like I am getting a bunch of new clothes now that I am getting back into some I haven't worn for so long.

How exciting! You've done great. Getting back into clothes you love is the best.

I've lost 3 pounds this past week, but I had to cheat. I was sick and my stomach was so upset I could hardly eat for 3 days. I managed to keep it off over the weekend though.

For our trip to Mexico I am taking one pair of capris and one or 2 skirts and few tops to mix and match. I never wear all of the clothes I take when we go on vacations. When we were in Italy for 2 weeks I ended up wearing the same black pants every day. We did do laundry once. That was even fun, just because it was Rome and we sat and people watched.
    No one takes more clothes on a vacation than I do, and I am really terrible at these Caribbean vacations. I always want to make sure I have enough in case I need clean tops because of the heat. Of course, I never wear them all. Like everyone else, I end up wearing the same thing.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my success. The only thing I am really fearful of is I am "afraid" now to eat sometimes. I have to find a happy middle where I can mantain the weight I am at.
    3b/c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file