Bizarre problem or normal for most wavy/curly girls?

Wavy GirlWavy Girl Posts: 2Registered Users
My hair is so odd, or at least that's how I've always thought about it. For YEARS I couldn't figure out why the haircut I received, the humidity outside and even how long I waited after getting out of the shower to apply product could so drastically affect how my hair behaved...Until I cut it all off into a bob a few years ago and realized that I have massively wavy/curly hair. Since then, I've been trying to wear my hair as "natural" as possible, with opinions from others ranging from "it looks great!" to "it looks so messy and unkempt".

I just got my hair butchered (err I mean "cut") and I am vowing to never just get it cut for convenience again, but to seek out a professional who knows what the hell they are doing with my hair type. My question is this: now when I wash my hair, dry it with a t-shirt, apply product and then diffuse with my head upside down, my hair turns out huge...Quite literally. Instead of the big waves I get when I naturally air dry (and as a result, have no volume at the crown), when I diffuse my waves are very thin (as in not many hairs composing each), stick out to all sides (massive volume) and make me look like I just stuck my finger into a lamp socket. Diffusing to the side (versus upside down) gives me similar results.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem, and what do you do about it? I also have the issue that my hair does not start waving until about 1/3 down the hair shaft, which can look very odd when I air dry and leave me with absolutely no volume. Is there a middle ground that I can achieve by doing something differently?

Sorry for the long post/rant; TIA!

Comments

• hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Hi! My waves don't start until about a 1/2 inch or more (I can't quite tell for sure) from my scalp either. I found doing upside down styling gave me very poufy old lady hair. So now I do it to the side and I get a little bit better results. But if you're having issues with that as well I'm not sure............hopefully someone else will chime in!! Good luck!!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • pedahehpedaheh Curl Neophyte Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Upside down diffusing gives me crazy/wonky curls.

Have you tried clipping the roots and air drying? This should give you root volume.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • Wavy GirlWavy Girl Posts: 2Registered Users
    I haven't tried the clipping at the roots and diffusing to the side; might give that shot and see how it turns out. It's just so frustrating that my hair can look/wave so differently depending on whether I use heat or not!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wavy Girl wrote: »
    I haven't tried the clipping at the roots and diffusing to the side; might give that shot and see how it turns out. It's just so frustrating that my hair can look/wave so differently depending on whether I use heat or not!

Par for the course, Wavy Girl.
    I wonder whether when you got your last haircut if the stylist tried to thin or "de-bulk" your hair in any way or did that odd thing where they snip at the ends of your hair (cutting with the scissors towards the ends/your scalp) to "texturize" and leave a less "straight" edge? Either would definitely disperse your waves as you describe.

Layers can achieve that (volume control) without messing up the wave pattern if the stylist knows how to do them properly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file