Kinky Curly - Do I really need all three?

I have been searching the site for any previous threads on this but there are just so many, I can't find anything. Apologies if I am duplicating a thread here.

I am looking into using Kinky Curly products in my quest for multiple day hair. I have read lots of different reviews - good and bad, but I think I am definitely ready to give the KCCC a chance.

My question is, Do I really need the Come Clean and Knot today? It is all so pricey!

I usually cowash with Frizz-Ease Curl Around Condtioner, which leaves my hair feeling squeeky clean. If this helps at all, I have a mixture of 3c/4a hair and it is very dense. SL when curly, BSL when straight.

Thank you!

Comments

• smasters467smasters467 Posts: 527Registered Users
    You don't have to use all three, but the Knot Today and Custard together seem to give some people better results. However, I wouldn't use anything Frizz-Ease with Kinky Curly. The Custard can be really finicky about other products, especially those that contain cones and oils. I'd guess the Frizz-Ease has cones in it. HTH :)
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Curl Neophyte Posts: 236Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just recently revisited KCCC after a complete FAILURE several months ago whereby I used all 3 products. It was awful! For me, the shampoo left my hair feeling stripped and matted and the Knot Today just seemed to "disappear" in my hair and not do anything; no slip, my hair didn't feel moisturized at all; it pretty much was drying to my hair.

I've since tried it on top of my Curl Junkie conditioner of choice (and sealed with coconut oil) and am on DAY 5 HAIR and all I've done was apply a little oil/serum to my hair at night before putting on my loc soc (to sleep) and a little more in the mornings when I fluff/style my hair out. I am beyond pleased that I didn't throw this jar out......probably cause I paid a good penny for it; I had the large jar.

But I've definitely heard/read that KCCC can be very picky about which conditioners it likes to "play nicely with" so you may have to do a little trial and error from that perspective. Also, the KCCC product itself can be challenging in determining just how much you need; use too much and you can end up with super crunch hard [email protected]@ curls, use too little and you can end up with minimized definition. Definitely be prepared to be patient with this product.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    You don't need CClean although it's my favorite poo when I have a lot of product build up. Probably any no sulfate poo would work. I dilute my poos in small batches so they last for months.

As for Knot Today, I am using diluted Elucence conditioner as a rinse out and leave in and it's working just fine. I use Knot Today on special occasions. After using Elucence, which is much more concentrated, I see why you go through Knot Today so quickly. It's much thinner.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • juvjoyjuvjoy Posts: 670Registered Users
    I only use my Come Clean a couple of times a week...all other times I co-wash w/ treseme naturals & that seems to be working just fine w/ Knot Today & Custard :)
  • curlylocs232curlylocs232 Posts: 143Registered Users
    You don't have to use all three, but the Knot Today and Custard together seem to give some people better results. However, I wouldn't use anything Frizz-Ease with Kinky Curly. The Custard can be really finicky about other products, especially those that contain cones and oils. I'd guess the Frizz-Ease has cones in it. HTH :)

Yep, Frizz-Ease has cones in it. I have lots of Mixed Chicks shampoo as I use it on my daughter. It is silicone and paraben free, which is what the Kinky-Curly Cleanser says it is too. I will use this instead.

Thanks for the tip! Saved me £15!!
  • curlylocs232curlylocs232 Posts: 143Registered Users
    Brilliant! You guys have given me some great tips. I am going to try the knot today and KCCC together at first. If the KCKT is no good for my hair, I can always use it up on my little one - most things work on her hair! (Not that I'm jealous or anything ;-)

So, I get the impression that perseverance is the key with KCCC. If it means I don't have to wash my hair everyday, then I'm willing to be patient!
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    Brilliant! You guys have given me some great tips. I am going to try the knot today and KCCC together at first. If the KCKT is no good for my hair, I can always use it up on my little one - most things work on her hair! (Not that I'm jealous or anything ;-)

So, I get the impression that perseverance is the key with KCCC. If it means I don't have to wash my hair everyday, then I'm willing to be patient!

The biggest thing to realize is that the products don't contain many if any oils. So they can cause your hair to feel dry. The key is to add oil in the dry phase to scrunch out the crunch. My hair is VERY soft, light and touchable when I do this.

Also, if you google Knot Today dupe or the like, you should find a list of conditioners that work well with KCCC. Some folks have said V05 moisture milks and Tresemme Naturals play well. I am also going to try Trader Joe nourish spa conditioner when I run out of Elucence, which will be a while because I have a gallon of it.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file