Public Waviness

IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has anybody else noticed a difference in the way people respond to you since you started "wearing your waves?"
I had rather long hair and when I tried to wear it wavy, it didn't look good, so I cut a lot to get more volume and waviness. Now adding a few inches back on...

I have noticed that people are more friendly to me. I was always wearing a ponytail or braid and it gave me a certain "look." As my husband says, this shorter, wavier look is a lot softer and I think that is what people respond to. Well, that and I feel a little better about myself.

People who were short with me before are now talkative.

Okay, your turn - have you noticed a difference in how people respond to you once you let your wavy curls live out in the open and stopped oppressing them?

Comments

• curlywhocurlywho Posts: 119Registered Users
    People have started treating me older. (I'm 22, but people tend to think I look about 16 because of my baby face.) I'm guessing it's either because

1.) My haircut looks just about like every teenager's ever when it is straight. (swoopy bangs, long layers.)

OR

2.) I used to throw it in a ponytail often, and my hair is too thin to pull off a wavy, awkward ponytail very well.

I've also had a rash of people wanting to touch it recently... and people have started asking if I have had a perm.
    Hair Properties:
    2b/3a
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Thick
    Loves Protein, hates oil of any kind, takes FOREVER to dry.

Products:
    (I mix and match depending on the day)
    Occasional Low-poo: Burt's Bees
    Conditioner: GCP
    Ecostyler Gel
    CIAB
    As I am Curling Jelly

Recently Purchased:
    Rockin Ringlets
    Curl Keeper
    Confident Coils

Microfiber Plop (10 mins)
    Super-soaker
    Diffuse-dry
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am not sure I notice much, because when mine was long it was LONG so I got a lot of attention for it, and now it is sometimes pretty enough that it gets compliments and attention...

But I do think that loose waves are 'friendlier' than severe pulled back into a braid, which, like you, is how I wore the superlong hair.

Very glad that your hairstyle change has prompted more friendliness toward you, that is nice.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I have actually always gotten a lot attention towards my hair. I have always had it long-ish (traumatic experience playing barber with my sis when I was 3... have never been able to have it above my shoulders since!) and it has some sort of quality that when I dye it, it produces interesting highlights and lowlights no matter what color I use, even dark ones. Plus it is always super shiny. I sound like I am bragging.. I promise I'm not! Ladies have always commented on my hair. I have noticed now that I wear it wavy, though, I get more looks from men. Or, my hubby says I do! I am oblivious when men look at me unless it's very obvious, and those are usually the times I am talking to a guy and he is staring at my boobs....
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    No, I don't really, not that I notice anyway. I mean, I do get more compliments from my friends and family, but not random strangers.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's funny, swtndspcy!

I don't mean so much compliments - that's on a different page of the menu.
    I mean things like people making eye contact, engaging you in conversation and so on.
    I guess my former "look" told people I was "not like them" whereas the wavy-hair-worn-down (or pulled up loosely) look is less intimidating. Or something like that - more "like other people."
    Maybe it applies more to those of us who have done a complete hair overhaul. I never noticed men checking me out either, although I know they must have been because it's a requirement in the Y chromosome.
    The only man I ever really noticed noticing me is the only one who counts.:love7:
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    No one has wanted to touch my hair or start up conversations about it. I'm usually the one who starts the conversations.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

plunkybug wrote: »
    No one has wanted to touch my hair or start up conversations about it. I'm usually the one who starts the conversations.

Oh no, people don't talk to me about my hair! I just think I frighten them less than before.:tongue3: Changing my hair has reduced the xenophobia.
    Oh, I misunderstood! LOL
    I can't say people who didn't talk to me before talk to me now... I have been told I give off some "stuck up" vibe. It's actually just that I am painfully shy! So apparently wavy hair doesn't make me more approachable :dontknow:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    plunkybug wrote: »

Oh no, people don't talk to me about my hair! I just think I frighten them less than before.:tongue3: Changing my hair has reduced the xenophobia.

This is a funny way to put it. Like you are a scientist so that means you are a different race or from a different place? 'Cause you sure look like my idea of what most of Iowa looks like, LOL.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    Oh, I misunderstood! LOL
    I can't say people who didn't talk to me before talk to me now... I have been told I give off some "stuck up" vibe. It's actually just that I am painfully shy! So apparently wavy hair doesn't make me more approachable :dontknow:

This is TOTALLY me too!!! People think you're a stuck-up jerk when really you're just super-uncomfortable and the body language is being read completely wrong. So I guess if you soften one aspect of your exterior, that helps give the "friendly" message. Like wagging your tail.

And if you feel that you look halfway decent, that helps too. :glasses8:

LOL, Robin, a lot of Iowa does look like me, but a lot more of Minnesota does. Lots of blondes in MN. All those Norwegians. Aka "Iowegians."
    IAgirl wrote: »
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    Oh, I misunderstood! LOL

This is TOTALLY me too!!! People think you're a stuck-up jerk when really you're just super-uncomfortable and the body language is being read completely wrong. So I guess if you soften one aspect of your exterior, that helps give the "friendly" message. Like wagging your tail.

And if you feel that you look halfway decent, that helps too. :glasses8:

LOL, Robin, a lot of Iowa does look like me, but a lot more of Minnesota does. Lots of blondes in MN. All those Norwegians. Aka "Iowegians."
    HA HA HA! Wagging your tail! I love it! I wish I had a tail to wag so people would stop thinking I don't like them!
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think people react to me differently one way or another, but when I wear it wavy, people often ask me if it's natural and say it's pretty.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I think wearing my hair wavy does indirectly affect the way people respond to me! I think it almost makes me AND them feel more comfortable talking, because it usually starts with a complement or something, and then I say thank you, and then we start talking about hair, and then about everything! :D So, yes, but in an indirect way. I think wearing my hair curly somehow makes it easier for someone to compliment me, and then we start talking! I know what YOU'RE saying though! Not about compliments so much, but that's my take on it! ;)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't really think there has been much of a difference. If there is a difference, I think that I'm treated worse by strangers. I looked more put together with straight hair. My hair is more neat, less wild when straight. Wavy hair has the "I didn't fix my hair look" which I think comes off as a less moneyed look. Money talks.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I don't really think there has been much of a difference. If there is a difference, I think that I'm treated worse by strangers. I looked more put together with straight hair. My hair is more neat, less wild when straight. Wavy hair has the "I didn't fix my hair look" which I think comes off as a less moneyed look. Money talks.

My, that's a shade depressing. You need to spend more time around women in their 60s and 70s who were raised with curlers in their hair and would love some natural wave or curl or anything.

You're right, of course. When I go "antique-ing" with my husband (his thing, not mine), I only see women with highlight/heat-fried-dry blown-straight hair and the same clothes and it's like a dress code of the upper middle class or wanna-be upper middle class. I'm not a fan of the whole bourgeois thing.

I never wore my hair straight because I don't really think I can, I always wore it in a braid or ponytail and I think that gave me the "less moneyed" look and definitely a "I can't be bothered to fix my hair or even cut it" look. So actually bothering to style my hair lifted me up one caste? Disconcerting, that.

Man, are we ripping on society/getting philosophical or what?:rambo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file