how to remove beeswax?

What is the best way to remove beeswax from hair? For example, you are using a product that contains beeswax as an ingredient.

Do you have to use a sulfate, or do you dissolve in a hot oil treatment and then shampoo away?
3c-like S-waves and random curls
Fine density; medium & fine strands
Naturally very dry and very frizzy

Comments

• jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Beeswax is sooooo hard to get rid of! I really feel for you if you have a bunch of it in your hair.

Back in my not-so-curl-savvy days, I actually used 100& beeswax as a styling aid, to slick back my hair into ponytail. I used to have to shampoo several times to remove it. After reading a rec in a beauty magazine to get rid of it, I started using dishwashing liquid. So my routine used to be:

dishwashing liquid
    clarifying shampoo
    THEN: regular moisturizing shampoo

If you have lots of it in your hair, I think you would need to use a sulfate shampoo or do *several* washes with a milder-surfactant based cleanser. If it's towards the end of the ingredients list it shouldn't be too bad though, just lather up once or twice (as per my experience with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Oyin Whipped Pudding[/buylink]). HTH
  • CottonCandyCottonCandy Posts: 125Registered Users
    Yikes! Gosh, i should have trusted my gut on this...self-sabotaging pj tendencies! I was in Sephora and bought two Carol's Daughter items that have beeswax.
    I tried the healthy hair butter to slick back 2nd day curls into a messy bun and it looked awesome today. But I've heard that beeswax is pretty rotten and I don't want a buildup crisis that I'll cry about on the boards a few months from now....maybe if I just use it sparingly instead of as a staple, things should be okay :sad7:
    3c-like S-waves and random curls
    Fine density; medium & fine strands
    Naturally very dry and very frizzy
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Curl Neophyte Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think if you use beeswax straight or something that contains it close to the top of the ingredients list on bare hair that you'd have buildup problems real fast & have to use a super strong shampoo or soap to get it out.

But I used Beyond the Zone's Noodle Head that contains beeswax towards the end of the ingredients list, over a leave-in conditioner. I didn't notice any buildup. But then I also used a gentle sulfate shampoo 1-3 times a week.

:dontknow:
  • itslissyitslissy Posts: 35Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote: »
    I think if you use beeswax straight or something that contains it close to the top of the ingredients list on bare hair that you'd have buildup problems real fast & have to use a super strong shampoo or soap to get it out.

But I used Beyond the Zone's Noodle Head that contains beeswax towards the end of the ingredients list, over a leave-in conditioner. I didn't notice any buildup. But then I also used a gentle sulfate shampoo 1-3 times a week.

:dontknow:

Before i went CG Noodle Head was my HG!!! i still use it from time to time(every few months). I have never had a problem with build up either
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Curls are like curves, there's nothing sexier than rockin' them the way God gave 'em to ya!
    Blogger
    YouTube
    Co-Wash: Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Conditioner Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Leave In:L’Oreal Nature’s Therapy Liquid Energy Fortifying Treatment
    Stylers: John Freida Root Awakening Gel, Miss Jesse's Baby butter creme
  • rbbrbb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i used to use deva set it free which contains beeswax -- the old formula had it higher on the list and i loved it. i mostly cowash, every 1-2 weeks i do a low poo and i've never had build up with beeswax.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    I've seen a lot of conflicting stuff about beeswax. I've been using Garnier Surf Hair and the Garnier Pure Clean Smoothing Creme, both of which have beeswax in them as the #2 ingredient. I mostly cowash with a low-poo about once a week and I haven't had any noticeable buildup of the beeswax.
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • crazycurlycrazycurly Posts: 6Registered Users
    Salt! Sounds crazy but works!! Just while washing your hair rub some table salt in there and after a couple of washes it'll be back to normal! ;)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
  • pedahehpedaheh Curl Neophyte Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ACV rinses can remove waxy build up. I have no idea about beeswax specifically. I did remove jojoba oil (technically a wax) that was "stuck" in my hair.
    The Scoop on Vinegar
    Quote from article:
    The clarifying properties of ACV and other vinegars also extend to the removal of accumulated sebum or other waxy buildup from products.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file