New and confused!

Leah BethLeah Beth Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I've been blowdrying my hair straight for years. My hair is just slightly wavy, naturally. It straightens easily. But I want a change... and I want healthier hair... so I'm trying to figure out a way to achieve nice, wavy hair that isn't frizzy.

I have no idea where to start, though. What shampoos/conditioners and styling products are good for encouraging curls, taming frizzyness, etc? It would be good if I could find some drugstore products since I'm not rich.

By the way, my roots get really greasy, so I MUST shampoo every day.

I've been trying to read through the forums, but there's SO much information, it's a bit overwhelming!

Thanks for any help.

Leah.

Comments

• LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Leah, welcome to nc.com :) .

Alot of us use the cheap stuff at Walmart that is excellent for conditioner washing. Suave, Garnier Fructis and the VO5 conditioners are the favorites. Just make sure they don't have silicones in them, mainly dimethicone, cyclomethicone (or maybe it's cyclodimethicone :oops: ), or the evilest non-sounding "cone" - cyclopentasiloxane.

Have you tried conditioner washing (cowashing) to see if your roots might get better at not being so oily? It takes a few weeks for your hair to adjust if you decide to try it. If not, you might want to switch to a low- or no-sulfate shampoo so it'll be easier on your hair. Sulfates strip your hair of natural oils.

A couple of other tips to help your hair find it's inner curl :wink: :

*If you must blow dry, be sure to use a diffuser.
    *Get a microfiber towel. They're better for the hair than regular terrycloth towels and can be found in the auto department at Walmart.
    *If you use styling products, try putting them in soaking wet hair.
    *Don't brush your hair. A wide-tooth comb is better if you need to comb it.

Don't hesitate to ask questions! That's what the board is for :D and we love sharing stuff!

If you can, think about getting The Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey. You can usually pick it up at a book store for around $10.00. It helps explain of why we do alot of the things we do around here :lol: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • declarationofcurlinessdeclarationofcurliness Posts: 16Registered Users
    try adding a tablespoon or two of brown sugar to your conditioner and scrubbing your scalp with that. you may find you don't need the shampoo after all!

If you have dark hair, or have always wanted to try henna, I've been told that a henna treatment is excellent for absorbing oil and easing the transition to using less shampoo. People can usually start going a few extra days between shampoos after using henna.

remember that the reason you need to shampoo every day is *because* you shampoo everyday. It's dries out your scalp, so your sebum glands go into overdrive, producing *way* more oil than they would have otherwise. I know that sounds like a catch-22, but you have to break the cycle somewhere.
    2c generally, with a few spirals in front and underneath. Between BSL and waist length when straight, about shoulder length when set free.
  • Leah BethLeah Beth Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks for the tips, girls! :)
  • mommieprettymommiepretty Posts: 17Registered Users
    remember that the reason you need to shampoo every day is *because* you shampoo everyday. It's dries out your scalp, so your sebum glands go into overdrive, producing *way* more oil than they would have otherwise. I know that sounds like a catch-22, but you have to break the cycle somewhere.

omigosh, I'm SO glad you wrote that!! I've only been cowashing for about 2...maybe 3 wks now, and my crown is unusually oily (almost greasy -- it feels awful!), which means I've had to START washing every day (before I started CG, when I was still using shampoo, I only washed every 2-3 days)... maybe that's b/c I was stripping/drying my hair and scalp out so much that it took that long for my poor sebum glands to recover...? anyway, I was about to throw in the towel (sorry, I know it's a really bad pun but I just couldn't resist :D LOL) w/the whole cowashing bit, but you've convinced me to stick it out a bit longer to see if I start to notice a decrease in all this icky oil... the brown sugar trick might help, too, so I'll give that a shot as well -- thx so much for posting!!

*MWAH!*
    Tanya
    mostly 2a/2b (so far) w/rare and random 4a's, fine but thick, BSL dark caramel blonde; wavy CG since Jan07 -- VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie cond (looking into Activate products), weekly "Lemon Aid" clarifier, HE TT gel
  • blueberriblueberri Posts: 49Registered Users

It's true. I've been washing my hair daily since I was 10 (I'm 27). On the 2nd day I *had* to wash my hair because it became a really horrible greasy mess by about 11am.

I tried the CG thing of co-washing only... picked the wrong products as it turns out and I ended up greasy anyway. However, along the way my scalp relaxed, stopped pumping out the oils, and I'm getting 2 days between washes now, and think I could stretch it further yet. The very gentle hair cleansers you can get as alternatives to shampoos are really helpful in this process for those of us who have oily hair, but want to reduce the need to cleanse. They kinda sop up the "extra" oil, without stimulating your scalp to over-produce more, like normal shampoos do.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just wanted to throw in that it takes your scalp/hair time to adjust to doing without the shampoo. It may indeed work better to wean off the shampoo gradually instead of cold turkey :lol: .

I never had any gunkiness, oiliness or anything like that when I first tried co-washing, just the "weirdness" of not using shampoo. When I tried it again, I just did it. Now I only use a clarifying shampoo if I've used a styler with a cone in it for several days.

On a side note, my husband has been using only conditioner to wash his hair for years and he's got gorgeous hair :).
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • sfisher323sfisher323 Posts: 537Registered Users
    Welcome. :)

I'd recommend finding a copy of Massey's book - that was my initial introduction to all things curly. Then I'd spend time (like a lot of it), scanning this board. I've found it incredibly helpful.

You can find shampoos without sulfates in them (the drying-out culprit) - I still use one once or twice a week. It may be more of a psychological need than anything, but I at least know I'm not stripping my hair when I do it. I've found Kiss My Face shampoo at my drugstore, which seems to be pretty gentle. I'm sure there are others - you just need to learn to be a label reader with your hair products. :) Suave and VO5 conditioners seem to be really popular around these parts (I just picked up a Suave citrus smoothie conditioner - will give it a try tomorrow) and I just discovered that Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel actually works quite well.
    embracing my inner curl since late Nov 2006
    2b/3a (I think?)
    color-treated red/brown, medium-textured hair
    PJ, currently using Suave citrus smoothie, B2B pom cond, GF C&S leave-in, AG re:coil, LOOB, HE SMU, Jessicurl HCC, CC, AIS
  • KaterinaKaterina Posts: 117Registered Users
    Leah Beth wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I've been blowdrying my hair straight for years. My hair is just slightly wavy, naturally. It straightens easily. But I want a change... and I want healthier hair... so I'm trying to figure out a way to achieve nice, wavy hair that isn't frizzy.

I have no idea where to start, though. What shampoos/conditioners and styling products are good for encouraging curls, taming frizzyness, etc? It would be good if I could find some drugstore products since I'm not rich.

By the way, my roots get really greasy, so I MUST shampoo every day.

I've been trying to read through the forums, but there's SO much information, it's a bit overwhelming!

Thanks for any help.

Leah.

I'm much like you. I actually thought my hair was straight until about 6 years ago when I noticed otherwise.

I used to have a very oily scalp like you and was washing daily as well, until I decided to try skipping showers in the last 6 months. Some days I was skipping but going into the shower for a rinse, and some days I washed back-to-back.

Right now I"m trying the CG routine, and I'm nearing the end of my 2nd full week. I promise you, it can work. I'm still tweaking my routine. My first week my hair was more oily than I ever remembered it being and it was itchy like I've never known itchy. I thought I either had the worst case of dandruff, fleas or lice. It drove me nuts. This 2nd week the itchies are gone, my hair is feeling less oily, and I'm looking at different issues now, like my waves falling after I style them.

If you try the CG routine, please know it works. You may have to tweak it, but we all have to tweak our routines anyway.

I agree about the amount of information being overwhelming because it was that way for me as well. What might work for you in that case is to make one change at a time until you are comfortable with that change or with taking on multiple changes in your routine. If you're like me, the first time I"m in a new place, especially if it's huge and busy to start, I'm a goner. I want outta there. It confuses me. I have to return again on my own terms and slowly walk through it. Same thing with literature.

Lavender Curls gave some excellent advice. She's one of several ladies here who do. HalfwavyHalfcurly and Teela are 2 more who also do. They are great ladies.

If you decide to try the no-shampoo routine, definitely buy the Curly Girls book by Lorraine Massey. Read it well before starting. I thought I read it well before starting but sometimes I think I didn't read it well enough. Or, maybe I'm just getting older and I don't remember what I read.

No matter. There are ladies here who will help you no matter which way you go.

And finally, I can't recommend this enough......there is a link in the web site for "curl salons". If I remember correctly, you can click by state and then by the letter of the city. I found my stylist that way. It was the first stylist who really cut my hair in a curl-friendly cut. Even though you have wavy hair, which has its own peculiarities, you can still encourage more wave by going to a stylist who will support your desire to have a cut that brings out more waves and/or curls.

Have fun and Godspeed!
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
    Katerina wrote:
    Lavender Curls gave some excellent advice. She's one of several ladies here who do. HalfwavyHalfcurly and Teela are 2 more who also do. They are great ladies.

Oh my, how sweet! I hope HWHC and Teela see this - this made my day, Katerina :wink:! We're always glad to help around here :).
    CG-modified since 4/05

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file